PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry in NY could have ended this

JustRalph
02-14-2011, 02:33 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/nyregion/13stab.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&hpw

If there ever was an argument for concealed carry.....this is one.

JustRalph
02-14-2011, 02:47 AM
This sounds like a movie script. This guy had plenty of energy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41541938/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Police said the capture ended a violent spree that began just after 5 a.m. local time Friday, when police say Gelman snapped during an argument over the use of his mother's Lexus sedan. His stepfather, Aleksandr Kuznetsov, intervened and was stabbed to death at their apartment in Brooklyn. Police found the 54-year-old's body in his home. His mother was uninjured.
Later that morning, Gelman turned up at the home of a 20-year-old acquaintance, Yelena Bulchenko, and stabbed to death her mother, 56-year-old Anna Bulchenko. When Yelena arrived home at about 4 p.m., she found her mother dead in a pool of blood and called 911. But Gelman was waiting for her there, chased her outside and stabbed her 11 times, authorities said.
Police initially identified Yelena Bulchenko as Gelman's ex-girlfriend, but the nature of their relationship was unclear. Some friends said that if the two ever dated, they were unaware of it.
He sped away in his mom's car to another part of Brooklyn, where he rear-ended a Pontiac, then stabbed the driver when he confronted Gelman about the crash, police said. The driver was slashed three times in the chest but survived and was stable at an area hospital.
Gelman left the man bleeding on the street and drove off in his Pontiac, but smacked into 62-year-old pedestrian Stephen Tanenbaum, who died from his injuries. He abandoned the car later, engine running, in a private driveway, not far from a freight railroad where he was once caught spray-painting graffiti, said police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.
Police hunted him, but the fugitive disappeared until just before 1 a.m. Saturday, when police say he confronted and stabbed a livery cab driver in Brooklyn, north of where the other incidents occurred. Shortly afterward, he approached a couple in a Nissan, stabbing the man multiple times in the hand before hijacking the car, police said. Both men survived.

check the link for more

boxcar
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I wonder if the Dems will author a bill for strict Knife Controls? Those knives can be pernicious murderers.

Boxcar

JustRalph
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I wonder if the Dems will author a bill for strict Knife Controls? Those knives can be pernicious murderers.

Boxcar

This is 2nd guy with a knife to do something like this in the last couple of years. I think the last one was a guy who cut up a lady walking her dog. I started a thread about that one too

It's here somewhere

boxcar
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
This is 2nd guy with a knife to do something like this in the last couple of years. I think the last one was a guy who cut up a lady walking her dog. I started a thread about that one too

It's here somewhere

I think the Dems should try to pass a law that would prohibit all underage folks from using a knife except in the presence of a parent or legal guardian.

And all adults should have background checks performed to see if they're fit to even have a knife in their home, let alone on their person! Too bad if they fail. If they have a steak dinner or something on this order, they'll have to have licensed knife owner come over to their house to cut it up for them.

After the law is passed, we can all celebrate our progress in society by marching to DC in a Peace Parade, holding hands or locking arms, singing Gumbaya. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Tom
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Boxcar

Knives don't kill people....people kill people.

boxcar
02-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Knives don't kill people....people kill people.

I don't buy into this line of reasoning for a moment. AnyTHING that can kill someone should be licensed and require thorough background checks for owners because these things are potentially deadly -- guns, knives, rocks, bricks, bathtubs, automobiles, shovels, picks, etc., etc., etc.

Boxcar
P.S. Also, look at all the tax revenue that could be raised by licensing these items, especially if a fee were to be charged for each item, and each would require annual review and more fees. Now that's Progressive thinking for ya. :lol: :lol:

Robert Goren
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't buy into this line of reasoning for a moment. AnyTHING that can kill someone should be licensed and require thorough background checks for owners because these things are potentially deadly -- guns, knives, rocks, bricks, bathtubs, automobiles, shovels, picks, etc., etc., etc.

Boxcar
P.S. Also, look at all the tax revenue that could be raised by licensing these items, especially if a fee were to be charged for each item, and each would require annual review and more fees. Now that's Progressive thinking for ya. :lol: :lol:License Automobiles? Really? Now those are fighting words.:lol:

Let's Roll
02-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Boxcar
P.S. Also, look at all the tax revenue that could be raised by licensing these items, especially if a fee were to be charged for each item, and each would require annual review and more fees. Now that's Progressive thinking for ya. :lol: :lol:
Boxcar, are you doing the "I'm Liberal for a day" thing ? Let me know, so I can ignore you until you come to your senses :D

boxcar
02-14-2011, 03:27 PM
License Automobiles? Really? Now those are fighting words.:lol:

Oh, no, no, no. You don't read too swell. This would be a special federal license (on top of the state license) requiring criminal background checks, as well. After all, cars have, do and will kill! Look up the stats on how many people are murdered by cars every year (not including the driver of course because when a driver of an offending vehicle drives that would be considered suicide). :lol: :lol:

So, don't worry about fighting it. It's very patriotic to pay as many fees and taxes as humanly possible. And even when it's not possible, the offender gets to spend quality time in debtors' jail thinking about how he can become a better patriot in the future. :lol:

Boxcar

boxcar
02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Boxcar, are you doing the "I'm Liberal for a day" thing ? Let me know, so I can ignore you until you come to your senses :D

No, allow me to explain. I decided this morning to quit caffeine cold turkey. I realize now, in retrospect, that my idea was a huge mistake. I had no idea that the absence of this stimulant would have such detrimental effects on my normally brilliant mind. But be of good cheer; for I have repented of my foolish ways in sack cloth and ashes, as I'm now on my second cup of java. (Another cup or two should get me back to normal.)

Simultaneously, though, I will be seeking professional help in some Caffeine Rehab Center.

I apologize to anyone to whom I have inadvertently caused angst or any other disconcerting emotional feelings.

Boxcar

BlueShoe
02-14-2011, 10:17 PM
In todays upside down PC world, had a person been carrying and stopped the rampage with a bullet, quite likely the shooter would be now facing charges of some kind. Recall what NYC did to poor Bernie Goetz back in the 80's?

JustRalph
02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
In todays upside down PC world, had a person been carrying and stopped the rampage with a bullet, quite likely the shooter would be now facing charges of some kind. Recall what NYC did to poor Bernie Goetz back in the 80's?

yes, but a few more people might be alive.

Court cases can be won. Lives don't come back.

Grits
02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Box, I don't know how well you're gonna do in rehab. Think about it--finding yourself in a room situated with Charlie Sheen on one side and Lindsey Lohan on the other.:faint: Oh, deliver you from the drug addicted haze of stupidity, Box. It would be awful.:faint: You'd never drink caffeine another day in your life.:lol:

BlueShoe
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
yes, but a few more people might be alive.

Court cases can be won. Lives don't come back.
Completely agree, was pointing out, in a rather cynical way, how the person that stops the carnage can get the shaft. I reside in the state with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. I do not have a ccw permit. However, there have been times when I have armed myself, law or no law, when I felt that my safety might be threatened. As a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, very much agree with the old saying "that it is far better to be tried by twelve than to be carried by six."

boxcar
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Box, I don't know how well you're gonna do in rehab.

No doubt much better than the tag team of Sheen and Lohan.

Think about it--finding yourself in a room situated with Charlie Sheen on one side and Lindsey Lohan on the other.:faint:

You should pray fervently for those two because they wouldn't last long with me in the same room. "Climbing the walls" would take on a new meaning.

Oh, deliver you from the drug addicted haze of stupidity, Box. It would be awful.:faint: You'd never drink caffeine another day in your life.:lol:

My "stupidity" is still wiser than the world's wisdom -- including yours. :D In fact, on my worst day I'd still outwit any lib on his or her best day.

With that, I wish you a good day. :cool:

Boxcar
P.S. And see, I haven't even finished my first cup of java this sunny day in South Swampland.

Grits
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Box, there's no doubt in my mind in the company of those two "dim"ocrats, you'd be the only one left standing. Absolutely no doubt. And I hope you realize in your wisdom, I am truly teasing with you.;) I couldn't resist. Just the thought of the horror.

boxcar
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Box, there's no doubt in my mind in the company of those two "dim"ocrats, you'd be the only one left standing. Absolutely no doubt. And I hope you realize in your wisdom, I am truly teasing with you.;) I couldn't resist. Just the thought of the horror.

Yeah, the last thing those two wingnuts would need is moi. It's bad enough having nightmares in your sleep, but would they want them when they're awake too? :lol: :lol:

Boxcar