PDA

View Full Version : Wait a Mintue... First Dude

toussaud
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
So I'm sitting here watching HRTV, and they are doing the stallion commerical thing they do for Steven got even, and they say " newest member of the Bob Baffert Barn, First dude".. When did this happen?

So Baffert now trains Game on Dude and First dude.

Mineshaft
02-12-2011, 05:40 PM
this past week i think after the Sunshine Millions

MaryAinMI
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
So I'm sitting here watching HRTV, and they are doing the stallion commerical thing they do for Steven got even, and they say " newest member of the Bob Baffert Barn, First dude".. When did this happen?

So Baffert now trains Game on Dude and First dude.

Yup! http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/First_Dude_transferred_to_Bafferts_stable_123

joanied
02-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I posted about this someplace today...I have no problem with this move...I really like Dale R., but for some reason I guess he just couldn't get First Dude to the winners circle...sometimes change is good, I feel bad for Dale and his crew, but I guess you can understand where the owner is coming from...it's going to be interesting to see if Baffert can get him over his 'seconditis'...I've been crazy about FD since early last year...sure would be great to see him a winner...and hey...no pressure on Baffert first :rolleyes: time he runs him :D

toussaud
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Honestly, Dale R made some head scratching decisions IMHO last year with his 3YO's. This was a long time coming, I just hadn't heard about it and was caught by surprise.

Dahoss9698
02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Honestly, Dale R made some head scratching decisions IMHO last year with his 3YO's. This was a long time coming, I just hadn't heard about it and was caught by surprise.

What were the head scratching decisions Romans made last year?

tribecaagent
02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
This owner is very similar to Zayat with regards to trainer changes. Baffert has had success training for this guy with Anet. Pretty sure he beat Skip Away at some point.

joanied
02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Regardless of how this happened...I beleive First Dude is now in much better hands with Baffert...if anyone can get this big colt to want to win, it's Baffert...and I also think FD needs a jockey like Gomez...someone that can finish strong.

ManeMediaMogul
02-14-2011, 06:47 AM
First Dude has been overrated from day one.

Just because he is big and good-looking doesn't mean he has heart. He is still eligible for non-winners of two. Granted he has been facing tougher company than that, but he has been highly regarded in some of those starts and has failed miserably.

Baffert will no doubt run him in a 1x. He will be 2-5 and win.

That will restore the First Dude Marching and Chowder Society's faith. They will bet the crap out of him for three or four starts and lose their money because he is still First Dude.

theguarantee
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
While I get your point, "failed miserably" seems a bit harsh for a horse that hit the board in 6 straight - Bluegrass, Preakness, Belmont, Haskell, Travers, Penn Derby. No wins, but not exactly embarrassing yourself either.

joanied
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I agree with 'theguarnatee'....he has the best record of a non winner I've ever seen:) ...and for a few of those races, he had trouble to overcome, including jocks that won't let him run his race...Baffert will figure him out and place him where he needs to be...no doubt, the colt has talent.

DeanT
02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I too think this horse will be heard from over the next 12-24 months.

Romans tried a lot of things with him, but he is one of those one speed types. Sometimes they can get it together. He has too much talent to simply fade away. He always looks sound, as well.

andymays
02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
He's a frontrunner who isn't quick out of the gate. Baffert may change that. We'll see.

Market Mover
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
He's a frontrunner who isn't quick out of the gate. Baffert may change that. We'll see.

Baffert is a quarter horse trainer first. Of course he will change that. He and perhaps Martin Garcia....