PDA

View Full Version : RIP Chuck Tanner

JustRalph
02-12-2011, 01:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6113447

Back in Tanner's day the Pittsburgh Pirates AAA team was in Columbus Ohio. I got to see many of Tanner's up and coming players rise through the ranks.

Including Dale Berra who ratted Tanner out. Interesting guy. Yogi's kid.

A Manager who was actually traded to another team.

"Tanner was coveted by the Pirates, and the team made one of the few trades involving a manager in major league history to obtain Tanner's contract. Pittsburgh sent All-Star catcher Manny Sanguillen and cash to the A's for Tanner."

judd
02-12-2011, 07:22 PM
dale berra was involved in big drug scandel :lol:

tribecaagent
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
We are fam-a-ly.

First team ever to overcome a 3-0 deficit and win the world series.

slew101
02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Pirates were down 3-1, never were down 3-0 in that series. Won the last two in Baltimore.

We are fam-a-ly.

tribecaagent
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
You're right.

ldiatone
02-13-2011, 04:49 PM
We are fam-a-ly.

you might be thinking of the NYI(hockey) vrs Pens in 73-4?. iles down 3-0 and won 4-0 on a ed westfal goal 1-0 game 7. the leafs did it also i think

NJ Stinks
02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Chuck Tanner's passing makes me feel like I'm getting old. Seems like just yesterday he was managing the Pirates.

Rookies
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Off hand, I'm going to say there have been 3 teams win down 3-0 in the 4 major pro sports, 2 Hockey + the Dead Sox, natch.

ldiatone
02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Off hand, I'm going to say there have been 3 teams win down 3-0 in the 4 major pro sports, 2 Hockey + the Dead Sox, natch.
philly also did it last year vrs bos. down 0-3 although 2 rd.

Patrick333
02-14-2011, 08:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6113447

Back in Tanner's day the Pittsburgh Pirates AAA team was in Columbus Ohio. I got to see many of Tanner's up and coming players rise through the ranks.

Including Dale Berra who ratted Tanner out. Interesting guy. Yogi's kid.

A Manager who was actually traded to another team.

"Tanner was coveted by the Pirates, and the team made one of the few trades involving a manager in major league history to obtain Tanner's contract. Pittsburgh sent All-Star catcher Manny Sanguillen and cash to the A's for Tanner."What was it that Berra ratted him out on? My memory needs a little help.

I liked Chuck a lot. He always seemed to have such a positive attitude.

NJ Stinks
02-15-2011, 12:47 AM
What was it that Berra ratted him out on? My memory needs a little help.

I liked Chuck a lot. He always seemed to have such a positive attitude.

According to the article in Ralph's post:

The Pirates had seven winning seasons in Tanner's first eight years, several after they had terrible starts. Some players later abused the considerable freedom Tanner gave them, however, such as allowing friends and family members to roam freely in the clubhouse.

That permissive attitude was cited in part for the Pirates' drug problems, involving such players such as 1978 NL MVP Dave Parker, that were revealed during the widely publicized Pittsburgh trials of alleged drug suppliers to major leaguers in 1985.

Tanner testified he had only a cursory knowledge of such drug use. Former Pirates shortstop Dale Berra contradicted that claim, testifying Tanner specifically warned him to stay away from reputed drug dealers and once asked Berra if he had a cocaine problem.

The Pirates fired Tanner in the aftermath of the drug trials -- "I would have fired myself," Tanner once said.

mountainman
02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
We are fam-a-ly.

I was introduced to Chuck Tanner right after that series. When I congratulated him on the comeback, he looked me straight in the eye, formed a puzzled smile, shook his head, and replied: "Boy, wasn't that something?" What a guy. That's all I can say.