PDA

View Full Version : Point Driven Home!

Observer
04-08-2001, 11:59 PM
Well, guess I was wrong in overthinking the Santa Anita Derby, figuring Crafty C.T. would be fully cranked while Point Given was still having his screws tightened. Well, turns out I was sort of right but it didn't matter because Point Given is just simply a better horse than Crafty C.T.. Sometimes the best horse really does win. :)

I always knew Point Given had versatility and good tactical speed, but did anyone expect him to be chasing Crafty C.T. into the first turn and along the backstretch?? Certainly not me! And the way he went on with it turning for home was very promising, plus the way he galloped out. Forgive my enthusiasm, but I've been following this horse for so long and just love the way he's been developing.

On the other hand, Crafty C.T. was everything but impressive in the post parade. This was the first real good look I got at him without seeing him in full flight, and I thought he needed to gain about 200-300 pounds, and that was going into the gate. He looked too lean, a stark contrast to the bulky Point Given, who towered over Crafty C.T. as they were going down the backside. Point Given looked about twice as large as Crafty C.T.!! Now I understand Point Given has a bigger frame than Crafty C.T., but Point Given carries more mass on that frame, a lot more, in proportion to Crafty C.T..

Hopefully when Zucker brings Crafty C.T. back in a couple of months, the horse will have matured, filling out and bulking up the way he needs. He's definitely proven he's got talent and I like the way he continued on through the stretch eventhough he was no match for Point Given. I'm glad to see Crafty C.T.'s connections are sticking to their plans of passing on the Kentucky Derby, keeping the best interest of the horse in mind and I'll be looking forward to his return for possible revenge on Point Given.

smf
04-09-2001, 02:18 AM
Observer,

On TRN, Kimber Goodwin said as they loaded 'CT' in the gate, "you can count his ribs!". She was as surprised as you.

I expect a colt like that to develop into something special come Haskell-time, or thereabouts. Health concerns notwithstanding of course.

Druther
04-09-2001, 11:54 AM
Boy, you “guys” are impressive. I count legs – if the horse walks onto the track with 4 of them, he qualifies. You folks count ribs.

I need to dust off Bonnie Ledbetter’s book. Nah, wouldn’t work. At 28kbps you’re lucky if they even show the horse leave alone how he looks.

bdhsheets
04-11-2001, 02:56 AM
"I'm glad to see Crafty C.T.'s connections are sticking to their plans of passing on the Kentucky Derby, keeping the best interest of the horse in mind"

Yeah right! The best interests of the horse indeed!

Regards,

bdhsheets