PDA

View Full Version : The Clock is ticking on California horse racing

andymays
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Clock is ticking on California horse racing
By Art Wilson

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

It's painfully obvious something needs to be done. No one who holds a high position in the industry wants to admit it, but the horseplayers' boycott because of the increased takeout has had an effect. How much, no one knows for sure, but it's hurt business at a time when horse racing didn't need the hit.

So who's fault is it? Who's to blame for the sport being in such disarray?
Well, it's not such an easy answer, and there is no doubt the economy has played a big part in the slump. Very few businesses have managed to avoid declining numbers the past three years.

But it's also true the sport's decision makers, the CHRB and Thoroughbred Owners of California, groups that are supposed to lead the way toward sound decisions and prosperity, have let the industry down in a huge way.

Excerpt:

Here's a great example of the leadership we're dealing with in California: A group that's been around since 2007, is 1,800 strong nationwide and calls itself the Horseplayers Assocation of North America, would like to sit down with members of the CHRB and TOC and lay out some ideas. But the two groups want nothing to do with HANA as far as face-to-face meetings involving decision makers.

Well excuse me, but if I was making decisions about a sport that was going down the tubes quicker than the final quarter miles Zenyatta used to run, I'd want to sit down with ANYBODY and exchange ideas in hopes that something positive would come out of the meeting. That's how much trouble the sport of horse racing is in.

I e-mailed the CHRB last month and asked why they would not sit down with members of HANA. Here's the reply I received from Executive Director Kirk Breed:

"The California Horse Racing Board appreciates input from HANA and other fans. In fact, the CHRB has an obligation to listen to the public at large. At the same time, we understand that at least one race track has met with HANA and will continue to do so. The CHRB encourages such dialogue."
It's called passing the buck. Are Breed, CHRB chairman Keith Brackpool and the six commissioners too good to sit down and meet with HANA president Jeff Platt and others from the organization themselves and hear their ideas?

For the rest of the story click on the link!

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

jelly
02-10-2011, 02:23 PM
"Santa Anita's overall handle was down $16.9 million, or 8.2 percent, through Sunday, according to figures I've received. Now those aren't using the comparable dates that track officials like to use"

These numbers obviously favor the track.The purses will be cut in a week?

The boycott is working and you can see it on Keith Brackpool face.

Poor leadership,poor results.

johnhannibalsmith
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
To punctuate his point:

Actual profitable, forward-thinking entities PAY mucho dinero for focus groups, polling, customer feedback surveys...

...you know, the type of feedback and reaction that HANA, it's members, this website, and others are forced to the sidelines with to ponder and debate in the shadows.

In racing, we PAY "journalists" to marginalize the feedback so that it can be ignored with a wink and quip.

Go figure.

The_Knight_Sky
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Just came there to post the Art Wilson story:

Well, going into Thursday's eight-race card at Santa Anita, field size was down from 8.01 horses per race a year ago to 7.73 through the first 28 days of the meet. Yep, a lot of six- and seven-horse fields even though we're back to dirt now at Santa Anita.

Oh, and the increased handle?

Santa Anita's overall handle was down $16.9 million, or 8.2 percent, through Sunday, according to figures I've received. Now those aren't using the comparable dates that track officials like to use, i.e. Strub day 2010 compared to Strub day 2011, etc., but the numbers aren't pretty no matter how you spin them.

According to my sources, the biggest losers in the handle game have been exactas, trifectas and pick threes, all of which were part of the increase in takeout.

Duggo says:

"I just keep hoping and praying that they get some creative (guy), like a Lee Iacocca type of guy, to figure out a way. How you can't sell legalized gambling, the chance to socialize, cocktails, beautiful scenery ... how you can't sell that is beyond me."

Lee Iacocca?

Heck, I'd settle for someone with just two or three good ideas that would lift this sport up toward a revival that we may never see.

__________________________________________________ __

I hope this is the last article that mentions the "economy" as the catalyst for the decline of California racing. This same economy has stimulated terrific business at Tampa - Fair Grounds - Gulfstream Park. :ThmbUp:

The winter weather has caused repeated shutdowns of other major racetracks on the eastern seaboard and Santa Anita along with the ballyhooed return to dirt racing should be on the plus 1% side at the very least.

No more excuses - about the economy. Please !

lamboguy
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
i think the boycott helped put a knife in california racing. they got enough people not to play the place that even if they cut the takeout they won't get them back. they would have got to this point with or without the boycott, the boycott got them there faster.
i guess that the purpose of the boycott was to show that the organization carries some weight and that other racetracks better not fool with them.

johnhannibalsmith
02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
...No more excuses - about the economy. Please !

You must not have gotten the bulletin four years ago when the mantra was that a "recession" would only boost handle - in bad times, people smoke, drink, and gamble.

I heard it a million times, at the time. Not only has the tune changed from C sharp to B flat, but the lyrics are still jammed between the lines...

Perhaps the underlying theory wasn't wrong. The narrow minded perception that gambling equals horse betting was the goofy variable.

MNslappy
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Actual profitable, forward-thinking entities PAY mucho dinero for focus groups, polling, customer feedback surveys...

...you know, the type of feedback and reaction that HANA, it's members, this website, and others are forced to the sidelines with to ponder and debate in the shadows.

:ThmbUp:

The_Knight_Sky
02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
If I let the whole truth out right now there would be rioting in the streets. :lol:

Please.

http://i51.tinypic.com/14l8as.gif Do not let us stop you.

andymays
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Please.

http://i51.tinypic.com/14l8as.gif Do not let us stop you.

You notice I deleted my post. :D

You got me! :D

I believe we will see some positive changes in the coming months. If more reporters follow Art Wilsons lead and ask the tough questions then California Racing has a shot to survive!

jelly
02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
To punctuate his point:

In racing, we PAY "journalists" to marginalize the feedback so that it can be ignored with a wink and quip.Go figure.

So true,the media coverage of the boycott from the DRF and others have been embarassing.

Southieboy
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Saturday could be bleak for SA- Lackluster card, plus AQU, TAM, GP, OP, FG all have full fields and good betting races.

Southieboy
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
A whopping 64 horses entered in 9 races Sunday.

Stillriledup
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
GG had a penta carryover going into today's card but they have to hold the carryover until tomorrow, do you know why?

The largest field they have today in their 8 races is 7 horses, and the rules say they need 8 for penta wagering.

isnt that a hoot?

BlueShoe
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Mr. Wilson comments in his article that 17,000 fans were on hand Strub day, 6k more than last year, but that on track handle was down. SA has also remarked about the success of that day. What has not been told is the reason for the increased attendance but smaller handle. There was a double promotion Strub day. Every fan that held a track player card or was on their mailing list received two free club house admission passes, plus a "mystery voucher", worth at least $2, or, for lucky fans, more. Only rarely do the SoCal tracks give out passes and/or vouchers on big days, or, for that matter, on the same day. Usually they are distributed on weekdays or a weekend day without a major feature, and usually one or the other, not both. This has been done for years in order to encourage attendance on slower days. Just speculation, but perhaps half the fans there came because it was free, and to cash their free voucher. This could account for the smaller on track handle numbers. Casual occasional fans came out, but fewer dedicated players. A creative way to do it, but Santa Anita may have just found a way to cook the books by promoting the attendance figures while concealing the reasons and smaller on track handle.

andymays
02-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Mr. Wilson comments in his article that 17,000 fans were on hand Strub day, 6k more than last year, but that on track handle was down. SA has also remarked about the success of that day. What has not been told is the reason for the increased attendance but smaller handle. There was a double promotion Strub day. Every fan that held a track player card or was on their mailing list received two free club house admission passes, plus a "mystery voucher", worth at least $2, or, for lucky fans, more. Only rarely do the SoCal tracks give out passes and/or vouchers on big days, or, for that matter, on the same day. Usually they are distributed on weekdays or a weekend day without a major feature, and usually one or the other, not both. This has been done for years in order to encourage attendance on slower days. Just speculation, but perhaps half the fans there came because it was free, and to cash their free voucher. This could account for the smaller on track handle numbers. Casual occasional fans came out, but fewer dedicated players. A creative way to do it, but Santa Anita may have just found a way to cook the books by promoting the attendance figures while concealing the reasons and smaller on track handle.

I believe they had some celebrity book signings or something like that. I don't remember exactly who was there.

fmolf
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I do not believethat the new speed favoring track and the short fields are conducive to larger professional type players nor are these conditions attractive to me and i only play about $300 a week and consider mself a casual player.

Track Collector
02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
A whopping 64 horses entered in 9 races Sunday.

I'm not sure owners see it as one. Smaller fields mean improved chances for finishing in a higher position, and thus earning a higher amount of purse money. Of course most players do see it as one as the search for value in races with smaller field sizes is much, much harder.

johnhannibalsmith
02-10-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure owners see it as one. Smaller fields mean improved chances for finishing in a higher position, and thus earning a higher amount of purse money...

No, we horsemen never see this as a problem. We love short fields and easy paydays.

Unfortunately, when the purse fund is running on fumes and we're looking at yet anther purse cut, the "easy money" never seems to stand out as a primary contributing factor.

Track Collector
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
No, we horsemen never see this as a problem. We love short fields and easy paydays.

Unfortunately, when the purse fund is running on fumes and we're looking at yet anther purse cut, the "easy money" never seems to stand out as a primary contributing factor.

Nothing personal here, and I too would not be disappointed with lesser competition if I were on that side of the fence.

The problem as I see it is there are a number of influential horsemen who help to establish policy who have the "me first" and "get as much as you can now" attitude without considering the longer-term effects to the game. Maybe they truly believe it is a dying game that can not be saved, and thus feel justified with their approach?

johnhannibalsmith
02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
... The problem as I see it is there are a number of influential horsemen who help to establish policy who have the "me first" and "get as much as you can now" attitude without considering the longer-term effects to the game. Maybe they truly believe it is a dying game that can not be saved, and thus feel justified with their approach?

I would expand your stance to include not merely the influential horsemen, but pretty much, the overwhelming majority. In fact, it is one of the few things that horsemen tend to agree on.

However, I would stipulate that I don't believe that for most, it is any sort of conscious decision. Horsemen come in all flavors and sizes, and I'm not Charlie Wittingham with oodles of sage like wisdom from years of experience, but in my adult lifetime, I just have not met many that ever truly look at the big picture... on practically any subject.

The reality is that for a lot of people, they are one pissed off client, or a few bad ankles and knees away from being out of business. Things change in a hurry. One day you've got nothing, you get one good horse that trains itself, and you're a hero without enough stalls. That horse gets hurt or runs like crap three times in a row, and you're out of fashion.

That's a pretty simplistic synopsis of what I'm trying to express - but the feeling that any day could be a turning point is simultaneously what keeps a lot of horsemen going when there's really no good reason to, and also keeps them all just paranoid enough that even in unison, they don't stand too close to the guy next to them.

I'm a longwinded blowhard that tends to look a quarter mile down the lane looking to avoid a switch that may not even be there in 23 seconds, but unfortunately, most people are just looking between the ears to advance one position.

Again - I really don't believe that most horsemen are making a conscienscous decision to shoot themselves in the shoe tomorrow to get a foot rub tonight, but the industry was historically not one that demanded visionaries and masterminds looking for an edge in a competitive market.

It just happens. Over. And over. And over. And over... eventually, it'll just be. Over.

owlet
02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Maybe they truly believe it is a dying game that can not be saved, and thus feel justified with their approach?[/QUOTE]

Bingo.