PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Goes after Public Unions: The War is on

JustRalph
02-10-2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/09/senate-republicans-negotiate-limiting-unions-power.html?sid=101

Having been a former Union Rep for Police Officers, I find the part where Police Officers can no longer go to arbitration a little disconcerting. Police and Firemen in Ohio cannot strike, it is illegal. Binding Arbitration is the only way to settle disputes within those organizations. Losing that will change everything. This is going to be the war of all wars in Ohio.

HighLights:

Proposals in the bill:

State workers

Eliminates collective bargaining for state workers, including higher education employees.

Requires the Department of Administrative Services to develop a merit-based system of pay.

Local workers

Removes the requirement that deadlocked safety forces go to binding arbitration, instead extending the prior union contract for one year.

Requires mediators to consider wages of employees who are not members of the union and does not allow them to consider future tax increases as part of an entity's ability to pay.

Allows employers to hire permanent replacement workers during a strike.

Removes health insurance from collective bargaining. Management will pick insurance policies, and employees must cover at least 20 percent of the cost.

No longer requires that once a subject is included in a contract that it becomes a mandatory subject of future bargaining.

Defines an "impasse" as a lack of agreement after 90 days. After that point, it requires each side to make public its last, best offer.

Prohibits public employers from picking up extra employee pension contributions.

Eliminates from state law automatic pay increases for experience and education.

Eliminates from state law leave policies and automatic 15 sick days for teachers.

Prohibits school districts from bargaining away certain management powers, such as the ability to deploy teachers to certain buildings.

No longer makes longevity a deciding factor when management is deciding to make layoffs.

Requires a public employer to publish on its website any changes in the union contract that impacts compensation of workers, including wages, length of service payments, and insurance coverage.

Requires the employer and the State Employment Relations Board to publish the parties' offers on their websites before and after fact-finding is complete.

Allows schools or local governments in fiscal emergency to terminate or modify a collective bargaining agreement

highnote
02-10-2011, 05:23 AM
This is going to be the war of all wars in Ohio.

I agree. What if the emergency workers just quit. Then who will take their place? Will the new workers requirer higher pay to offset the risk they take by not being able to strike?

Local workers
Removes health insurance from collective bargaining. Management will pick insurance policies, and employees must cover at least 20 percent of the cost.

This sounds kind of like a mandate -- unless the workers decide to pay for their own policy -- in which case, they're probably going to want higher pay.

I can understand this, though. Insurance is just getting so expensive. Better to make the workers pay for it than to raise everyone's taxes so that gov workers can have full benefits.

Maybe it would be better just to do away with the health insurance benefit and let everyone go into the open market to pay for their own insurance. This might create a lot more competition and perhaps drive down health insurance costs?

HUSKER55
02-10-2011, 05:33 AM
MAYBE TAXPAYERS WHO DON'T WORK FOR A GOV AGENCY SHOULD START A UNION

JustRalph
02-11-2011, 12:13 AM
The rhetoric mounts

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/10/copy/kasich-to-public-workers-you-strike-you-get-punished.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Kasich is not screwing around

Tom
02-11-2011, 07:39 AM
It is unacceptable that government workers have better pay and benefits than the public. Hats off to Ohio - put them in their place or replace them.

newtothegame
02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
It is unacceptable that government workers have better pay and benefits than the public. Hats off to Ohio - put them in their place or replace them.
Agree whole heartedly TOM.....
Unions and libs talk about class warfare, redistribution, etc etc....
But they themselves are in a "better" class then privatized citizens. Not too mention, untouchable in most cases!

Ocala Mike
02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]It is unacceptable that government workers have better pay and benefits than the public. /QUOTE]

I don't know what's changed with "government workers," but when I hired on with NY State (prehistoric times-1972), I had to pass a civil service exam which, as far as I can remember, was open to the public. I was specifically told during the hiring process that the pay was much lower than a comparable private sector job, but the fringe benefits were good. That's how they got people to work for the government "back in the day."

I never felt, while serving the public, that I was somehow not also part of the public I served. As far as whether one segment of labor should have better pay and benefits than another, I always thought that one should strive to better oneself however possible in a competitive workplace.

Ocala Mike

mostpost
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]It is unacceptable that government workers have better pay and benefits than the public. /QUOTE]

I don't know what's changed with "government workers," but when I hired on with NY State (prehistoric times-1972), I had to pass a civil service exam which, as far as I can remember, was open to the public. I was specifically told during the hiring process that the pay was much lower than a comparable private sector job, but the fringe benefits were good. That's how they got people to work for the government "back in the day."

I never felt, while serving the public, that I was somehow not also part of the public I served. As far as whether one segment of labor should have better pay and benefits than another, I always thought that one should strive to better oneself however possible in a competitive workplace.

Ocala Mike
Tom's motto is "I made up my mind already. Stop confusing me with the facts."

Capper Al
02-11-2011, 02:57 PM
The problem is that many private sectors jobs had to take a pay cut. Add to that all the unemployment, and the government jobs are looking pretty good. This kind of political dividing used to go along ethic lines. Now it's steel worker against the teachers, auto worker against the government workers, etc. I can't see a race to the bottom being good to working Americans. Another solution is needed.

boxcar
02-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Ocala Mike

Methinks a few things have changed in the labor and business markets over the last 39 years. We're talking a generation here.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
02-11-2011, 07:19 PM
The rhetoric mounts

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/10/copy/kasich-to-public-workers-you-strike-you-get-punished.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Kasich is not screwing around

I have no problem with public employees not being able to go on strike. But eliminating binding arbitration on employees who can't strike is wrong IMO.

Tom
02-12-2011, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Ocala Mike]
Tom's motto is "I made up my mind already. Stop confusing me with the facts."

Hey postage-due.....I stated an opinion, not a fact.
One I stand by - you people work for US, and it is not right that you have better pay and bennies than the people who are FORCED to pay your way.
Especially when you consider the usual piss-poor service your public service people dole out to us.

Just because you could never cut in real job in the real world.....

mostpost
02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=mostpost]

Hey postage-due.....I stated an opinion, not a fact.
One I stand by - you people work for US, and it is not right that you have better pay and bennies than the people who are FORCED to pay your way.
Especially when you consider the usual piss-poor service your public service people dole out to us.

Just because you could never cut in real job in the real world.....
An opinion not based on any facts.
BTW I worked twenty years in the private sector and did just fine. Thanks for your concern.

ElKabong
02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
if someone left the private sector to become a mail sorter, it doesn't take a lot to figure you either (a) couldn't cut it in the "real world", or (b) swept floors or mowed yards for those 20 years to "move up" to mail sorting

mostpost
02-12-2011, 08:27 PM
if someone left the private sector to become a mail sorter, it doesn't take a lot to figure you either (a) couldn't cut it in the "real world", or (b) swept floors or mowed yards for those 20 years to "move up" to mail sorting
Keep living in your world of delusion. Mail sorting was a small part of my job at USPS. Of course no matter what I tell you I did you will demean it because you think that makes you more important.

In the private sector I worked in purchasing, as an insurance underwriter, in inside sales, as an order expediter. I don't remember what you do, but I'm sure it is next in importance to rescuing school children from a school of ravenous sharks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ElKabong
02-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Who can believe a word you say about your prior line of work before winding up a Mail Sorter?

Or better yet, who cares?

Hell, if you're proud to do menial work and never better yourself, so be it. If you failed at prior jobs and wound up a mailroom flunky, so be it. It's your life, kid.

MPRanger
02-13-2011, 04:29 AM
I have no problem with public employees not being able to go on strike. But eliminating binding arbitration on employees who can't strike is wrong IMO.

People who work in the private sector with no union can't strike or go to arbitration. See how it goes? Once you get on the milk wagon you lose sight of what the people who are actually paying your way go thru.

I think unions garner little support from non union people these days.

highnote
02-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Who can believe a word you say about your prior line of work before winding up a Mail Sorter?

Hell, if you're proud to do menial work and never better yourself, so be it. If you failed at prior jobs and wound up a mailroom flunky, so be it. It's your life, kid.

I think all jobs are noble and important whether it is one of an old lady in Berlin, Germany sweeping the streets with a broom or a New York City hotel chamber maid making up the beds or a family doctor practicing medicine in Anchorage, Alaska. The work needs to be done and thankfully there are people to do the jobs.

JustRalph
02-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Well, we finally agree on something.

Probably for different reasons. I just see this as fostering gridlock and setting up the Union members to be placed in a box. Police and Fire are completely different from other public unions. They have much different needs. This does puzzle me somewhat.

The Police and Fire Unions have had a very tight control in Ohio for many years, when it comes to endorsements etc. They are king makers in some areas. It just might be payback time ?

JustRalph
02-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Looks like Kasich has been on the phone with Wisconsin

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x400851

JustRalph
02-13-2011, 06:01 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/13/unused-sick-time-fattens-retirement-checks.html?sid=101

Police and Fire payouts....... these are some nice numbers........ :bang:

PaceAdvantage
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Hell, if you're proud to do menial work and never better yourself, so be it. If you failed at prior jobs and wound up a mailroom flunky, so be it. It's your life, kid.I get you don't agree with anything mostpost writes, but to constantly demean his prior line of work is getting way past offensive at this point.

I'm sure he isn't the only person on this board who works or has worked for the USPS.

Give it a freakin' rest already.

NJ Stinks
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
People who work in the private sector with no union can't strike or go to arbitration. See how it goes? Once you get on the milk wagon you lose sight of what the people who are actually paying your way go thru.

I think unions garner little support from non union people these days.

I think you are right. I also think unions are going to make a comeback sooner or later.

JustRalph
02-18-2011, 02:45 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/17/collective-bargaining-supporters-protestors-clash-at-statehouse.html?sid=101

I knew the Firemen and Cops would be out in full force

JustRalph
03-31-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/03/31/31-kasich-sign-sb5.html?sid=101