PDA

View Full Version : Surfside Race Place

Beachbabe
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
at Delmar has 4 qualifying rounds to get into the NHC. One of the rounds is April 1 & 2.
A friend of mine placed in a handicapping contest which awarded him 2 entries into this qualifier on April 1 & 2.
Does anyone know the format of this qualifier (what tracks; are there designated races, etc) ?
I'm asking this question for my friend who hasn't been able to get a response from Delmar

Donnie
02-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Babe--
That musta been thru www.hpqualify.com. Kevin, the owner, just ran a qualifier last week where you won two entries into the Surfside Qualifier. Kevin does a great job with his contests and site. Typically he runs 12-15 races, $2 win/place format. His Leaderboard is updated after every race so you always know where you stand. Some of the toughest tournament players in country face off almost weekly there. Great place to get tournament experience with little investment. Some of his contests have entry fees of $25.

BOL!
-Donnie

Donnie
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Oops...I should have also stated that Kevin usually links on his site to the NHC Qualifying site the rules page for the Qualifier. I don't know if that is the case or not. I didn't take too much interest in this qualifier as I couldn't make it to Cali if I won entries. And he is pretty quick to take down the old pages.

Beachbabe
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Oops...I should have also stated that Kevin usually links on his site to the NHC Qualifying site the rules page for the Qualifier. I don't know if that is the case or not. I didn't take too much interest in this qualifier as I couldn't make it to Cali if I won entries. And he is pretty quick to take down the old pages.

Donnie,
Thanks. Yes, he placed in the top 10 in the contest last weekend. He's just not sure whether to take the $400 in cash or go out to San Diego for the contest. Wanted to know the format before he committed one way or the other.

BB

Donnie
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
The tracks probably won't be chosen until the week of the contest. I tried calling their number to talk to someone about the format, but got the answering machine. I'll ask on the HTR board...lot's of people out that way play in those Surfside contests. I'll let you know what I hear....

Beachbabe
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
The tracks probably won't be chosen until the week of the contest. I tried calling their number to talk to someone about the format, but got the answering machine. I'll ask on the HTR board...lot's of people out that way play in those Surfside contests. I'll let you know what I hear....

Thanx Donnie, I appreciate it. :)

Donnie
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey BB--
Here is a response from Mike Mayo, who is the lead for the Players Committee, an informal group of Tournament Players who give feedback to the NTRA for the NHC. I believe Mike attends almost the entire meet at DMR each year. If anyone would know it would be him!

Surfside is indeed a big player in the NHC as far as qualifying spots. Ken is correct about Steve Ridenhour (not sure about that spelling) who used to be at FPX but is now running the tourneys at Surfside. Steve is a very good guy and is very player friendly. His tourneys at FPX certainly reflected that. He has been at Surfside for about 9 months (I think) so he was responsible for running some of the Surfside tourneys in 2010.

Their format has always been win and place on the last 8 races at the So. Cal track running at the time of their contests. Either Hol or SA and they are always two day contests. That did not change with Steve coming on board. I have not heard of any format changes for 2011 except the Friday one qually preceeding the two day evernts. Their tourney setup seems to work as they sellout every qualifier. The main reason is they do treat the players well.

For those of you who do not know or have never been to DMR. Surfside is the simulcast building on the grounds at DMR. It is open year around except when the live DMR meet is running. They must close for that meet only. It is a wonderful facility and very comfortable for the players. The So. Cal weather is the best in the country so I highly recommend going if you have never been and want to get out of the cold weather and be treated well.

Mayo

Hope that helps your friend make their decision!

Beachbabe
02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey BB--
Here is a response from Mike Mayo, who is the lead for the Players Committee, an informal group of Tournament Players who give feedback to the NTRA for the NHC. I believe Mike attends almost the entire meet at DMR each year. If anyone would know it would be him!

Surfside is indeed a big player in the NHC as far as qualifying spots. Ken is correct about Steve Ridenhour (not sure about that spelling) who used to be at FPX but is now running the tourneys at Surfside. Steve is a very good guy and is very player friendly. His tourneys at FPX certainly reflected that. He has been at Surfside for about 9 months (I think) so he was responsible for running some of the Surfside tourneys in 2010.

Their format has always been win and place on the last 8 races at the So. Cal track running at the time of their contests. Either Hol or SA and they are always two day contests. That did not change with Steve coming on board. I have not heard of any format changes for 2011 except the Friday one qually preceeding the two day evernts. Their tourney setup seems to work as they sellout every qualifier. The main reason is they do treat the players well.

For those of you who do not know or have never been to DMR. Surfside is the simulcast building on the grounds at DMR. It is open year around except when the live DMR meet is running. They must close for that meet only. It is a wonderful facility and very comfortable for the players. The So. Cal weather is the best in the country so I highly recommend going if you have never been and want to get out of the cold weather and be treated well.

Mayo

Hope that helps your friend make their decision!

Thanx a lot Donnie.
My friend already decided to go; so he's got 2 entries in their contest.
However, when I tell him it's only Cal races, he'll be disappointed (but, he can enjoy the sunshine and the nice weather in San Diego ;) )