PDA

View Full Version : Who have you converted?

thorobasePA
02-08-2011, 08:52 PM
We've had threads before about how we got into the game, whether it was by a family member or that first successful $2 win bet etc.

Since you've become a fan, have you brought anyone else into the sport?

Anyone lately?

Robert Goren
02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I am proud to say no one. I would never introduce a friend to something as self destructive as this game. It is by its very nature an all consumuning game and very seldom rewarding life style. Even the people who run it do not consider the betters as customers, but degenerate suckers. That should tell you something.

thaskalos
02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I have been tutoring a neophyte horseplayer on the basics of the game for a few months now...but he had already gotten interested in the game, without my help.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for introducing someone new to this game because, as Robert Goren already stated, there have been too many personal tragedies associated with it.

windoor
02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
There has been many days and even years that I was sorry my Dad ever got me involved.

I failed at the very first rules of the game.

Patience and discipline. This is a hard lesson for the young.

Once I got past that, things got much better.

I tried to get my own to understand what I'm doing and how you can be successful at it, but no one wants to take the time to learn. Too busy playing computer games.

I'm in the process of writing it all down and plan on leaving it to someone in my will.

Regards,

Windoor

PhantomOnTour
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Converted a great lawyer buddy of mine in New Orleans about 6yrs ago. He is now part of an ownership syndicate titled NOAH STABLES.
NOAH stands for New Orleans Ass Holes...no joke.

They've only bought 3-4 horses but have done well with them. Claim a horse for around 25k or so at the Kee fall meet and beat FG allowance horses all winter. They usually use Amoss as their trainer.

dnlgfnk
02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
So the joy I've received from the magnificent creature that is the thoroughbred...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoY_U8NTC7E

is not to be shared due to the mismanagement of the game, or the life of drudgery awaiting the novice, since he must necessarily pursue professional status?

thaskalos
02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
So the joy I've received from the magnificent creature that is the thoroughbred...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoY_U8NTC7E

is not to be shared due to the mismanagement of the game, or the life of drudgery awaiting the novice, since he must necessarily pursue professional status?If you were able to remain unscathed while participating in this game, consider yourself fortunate. Some of us weren't so lucky...so, forgive us for our lack of enthusiasm in recruiting new players.

dnlgfnk
02-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Thask...

Do I actively approach my friend Jim, whose marriage suffered from his disproportionate expenditure of time and money regarding fantasy baseball? Absolutely not. How about my coworker Tim, who accompanied me once before to the track at his request, but proved to be fiscally irresponsible and quickly inebriated (literally) by our initial success? Never again.
But I foster the fledgling interest of my brother, for instance. Usually around big race days, we will discuss the attributes of the field, since I know him to be a sound money manager, casual in his approach, and a sharer in my priorities of faith and family before all else.

I've experienced self-inflicted wounds from the pursuit of attempting to know why a horse runs the way he does, and I don't want to dismiss anyone else's. I didn't mean to imply that a careful judge of character wasn't in play when considering potential "converts".

thaskalos
02-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Thask...

Do I actively approach my friend Jim, whose marriage suffered from his disproportionate expenditure of time and money regarding fantasy baseball? Absolutely not. How about my coworker Tim, who accompanied me once before to the track at his request, but proved to be fiscally irresponsible and quickly inebriated (literally) by our initial success? Never again.
But I foster the fledgling interest of my brother, for instance. Usually around big race days, we will discuss the attributes of the field, since I know him to be a sound money manager, casual in his approach, and a sharer in my priorities of faith and family before all else.

I've experienced self-inflicted wounds from the pursuit of attempting to know why a horse runs the way he does, and I don't want to dismiss anyone else's. I didn't mean to imply that a careful judge of character wasn't in play when considering potential "converts".My apologies...

I wrongly concluded, from the tone of your initial post, that you had not been exposed to the game's "darker" side...

Kelso
02-09-2011, 02:33 AM
I got my ex to try a few cards. She enjoyed picking names and watching from the rail ... and her comfort level improved when the industry started to change out the harder whips for the "poppers." Eight Belles ended it for her, though. She hasn't been back since.

craigbraddick
02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Just an observation: If race fans will not introduce others to the sport, are they not killing the future of the sport?

Craig

elhelmete
02-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Once or twice a year, I organize a group outing to Santa Anita for my staff and crew (about 30-50 people go each time). The Group Sales people take great care of us. For about $30 a head, everyone gets valet, program, lunch, box seats, etc. Two people get to go down in the winner's circle for a named (for us) race. The track assigns us a "gambling docent" of sorts...basically a lifer who visits our group before each race explaining the basics of the race, how to bet, and dropping a few of his picks. On my end, I always bring the newbies of the bunch down to the paddock to watch the saddling and parade. I also buy a bunch of $2 vouchers for the newbies. It doesn't hurt that we always see recognizable people at the track...this is LA after all. It also doesn't hurt that Trevor is a 'friend' of my company so he's allowed me to bring up a couple visitors to his perch.

My staff loves it. That said...I think I've really only "converted" two people.

thaskalos
02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Just an observation: If race fans will not introduce others to the sport, are they not killing the future of the sport?

CraigMy observation: In its current form, this "sport" does not deserve a future.

The_Knight_Sky
02-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Just an observation:

If race fans will not introduce others to the sport,
are they not killing the future of the sport? Craig

http://i55.tinypic.com/2a6qng6.gif uh, who is killing the sport?

precocity
02-09-2011, 12:13 PM
There has been many days and even years that I was sorry my Dad ever got me involved.

I failed at the very first rules of the game.

Patience and discipline. This is a hard lesson for the young.

Once I got past that, things got much better.

I tried to get my own to understand what I'm doing and how you can be successful at it, but no one wants to take the time to learn. Too busy playing computer games.

I'm in the process of writing it all down and plan on leaving it to someone in my will.

Regards,

Windoor
dam!!!! :rolleyes: