PDA

View Full Version : The 2 Year old Crop Turned 3.

horsepro
02-08-2011, 09:31 AM
THE TWO (2) YEAR OLD CROP OF 2011
Over the years we all rely on past statistic and data to help us find that shinning star in racing triple crown. No matter what the angle and what the advise and how great the thought, one thing still remains.
THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN A FEW TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS. Why is that?.
Simply put they just don't make those types anymore.
There will certainly be another triple crown winner in the future no doubt, but with all the latest technology today one would tend to believe we would have many more triple crown winners in our time.
Its just as good as saying does a chicken we buy at the grocery today taste as good or better than ones of yesterday. Nope. Because the once of yesterday had less chemicals and drugs.

With this being said "MANY ARE CALLED FEW ARE CHOSEN". The next triple crown winner that comes along will have something that many today lack down the stretch, HEART. This is what it takes to win this thing. To go thru 3 grueling races and dig deep when it matters most.
The closest we will see in a while to come was REAL QUIETS nose loss to Victory Gallop back a few years ago.
This years 3 year olds are not better than last years. The two stand outs are legitimate if the stay healthy. They will stand leaps and bounds above the rest. UNCLE MO and DIALED IN. Stay healthy and sound and we will have another AlYDAR/AFFIRMED.

Cardus
02-08-2011, 09:33 AM
When did this happen?

Greyfox
02-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Its just as good as saying does a chicken we buy at the grocery today taste as good or better than ones of yesterday? Nope. Because the ones of yesterday had less chemicals and drugs.

You may know your horse racing, but not necessarily food and taste.
The above analogy is weak at best.
As human's age, the number of taste buds in their mouths also change, deteriorate, or diminish. The elderly have always complained that food doesn't taste as good as it once used to.
But back to horses.....

horsepro
02-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Good point... Another angle on this: before chemicals and drugs, horse performance and chicken taste were more consistent; and taste is usually a matter of perspective.

Greyfox
02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
If you check in this forum I'm sure you'll find oodles of comments on this issue previously.

One school of thought is that American horse racing has been focussed heavily on speed over stamina. Hence breeding practices have followed suit. With breeders focussing on speed more than stamina, the ability of three year olds to stand up to the grind of the 5 week Triple Crown schedule has diminished. That's one theory anyways. Jockey miscalculations have probably also contributed in at least a couple of cases for the lack of recent Triple Crown winners.

nijinski
02-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I agree with you Greyfox , the breeding has changed. I also think the the BC
Juvenile is a a factor. Street Sense stands alone on landing the Juvey and Derby victory.
As far as Uncle Mo / Dialed In . Mo has to to break the jinx and Dialed In has
to outrun his Dam's pedigree . This will be very interesting.

tzipi
02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN A FEW TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS. Why is that?.
Simply put they just don't make those types anymore.
There will certainly be another triple crown winner in the future no doubt, but with all the latest technology today one would tend to believe we would have many more triple crown winners in our time.

Well I will say there has been nose misses, neck misses,etc in recent years. Not far off. The biggest problem though I think is over the last couple decades breeders have bred for speed because that is what the races are carded for today. They don't run tons of 2 mile races or 1 1/2 or even 1 1/4 races anymore. It's all about speed today. But yes, I agree there surely will be another TC winner or more to come after.

CBedo
02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Lots of the same questions were probably raised between 1948 & 1973.

Robert Fischer
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
When did this happen?
Jan 1 of course

Shelby
02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Isn't the Triple Crown designed to make it very difficult to win? (rhetorical question)

Why in the world would we want a TC winner every year, or every few years???

For me, that would take the exceptional "specialness" out of it.

The Breeder's Cup satisfies the yearly need for winners.

The long road to the Triple Crown satisfies the long term excitement for racing.