PDA

View Full Version : Best betting line?

jackad
10-12-2003, 12:50 PM
It should be possible to evaluate the accuracy of a betting line by comparing the percentage of races actually won to the win probabilities predicted by the software program.
Does anyone know if this has been done for any software programs?
In other words, which program has the best betting lines?
Jack

Dozier
10-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Jackad---check out trackjudge.com

formula_2002
10-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by jackad
It should be possible to evaluate the accuracy of a betting line by comparing the percentage of races actually won to the win probabilities predicted by the software program.
Does anyone know if this has been done for any software programs?
In other words, which program has the best betting lines?
Jack

my top ranked horse (1 horse in every race, odds<20-1)
wins 30% of the time with a 9% loss in 18601 races.

When my odds line on these horses exceeds the post time odds;
20% winners, 3 1/2% loss, with about 1 play in every other race.
9328 races..

piece of cake!!

jackad
10-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Anyone with any experience using trackjudge?
Please share. Thanks.

Jack

VetScratch
10-16-2003, 03:23 PM
I think TrackJudge has adopted a business model that we will see more often in the future as handicapping software becomes increasingly sophisticated.

As PC speed and database capabilities increased, one objective for many handicapping products has been to develop software that can rapidly analyze a broad spectrum of data factors (thousands per race) and offer users increased flexibility insofar as the way data can be viewed or represented and also in the ways it can analyzed by the software. This flexibility often invites users to superimpose their "hand-crafted handicapping biases" on the software product... with mixed results... sometimes better, but often worse than the results they obtained in "pen and pencil" days at the racetrack or simulcast outlet. For the most part, this approach values software as a productivity tool.

In contrast, TrackJudge asserts that modern handicapping software has become sophisticated to the degree that "typical" users would be better off letting the software designers dictate how the handicapping is done. Thus, instead of buying the software, TrackJudge users buy the handicapped results.

The way TrackJudge.Com presents the foundation theories for TrackJudge handicapping software will convince many players that they could not approach comparable levels of sophistication with their traditional "hand-crafted methods." Thus, TrackJudge assets, "Leave the handicapping to us... you concentrate on improving your playing tactics." This philosophy resembles the adage that "winning depends more on how you play the races than on how you handicap them."

In this age of simulcasting, with dozens of tracks available, many players may find it advantageous to let services such as TrackJudge do the handicapping so that they can concentrate on intelligently playing the races (i.e., wagering to beat the other players in the pools).

I have never used Trackjudge, but I can see how their business model may become more common among software vendors.

Lefty
10-17-2003, 01:08 PM
VS, you may be right but I won't buy just a report; I want the software. There's a guy in FL, Jim Kitts, puts out good reports but won't sell the software. So I didn't stay a customer very long.
That's just me. Trackjudge reports $139 a mo. pretty pricey, I think.

VetScratch
10-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Lefty,

You are a veteran handicapper and experienced software user... so you are not the typical user who should find the TrackJudge approach appealing!