PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Commercials

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Every year I look forward to the awesome Superbowl commercials. I'm not sure what happened this year, but they sucked. Did I miss a Clydesdale one by any chance? They are the most awesome commercials out there.

The one with the guy licking the other guy's hand after eating the Doritos was "creepy" to say the least. The commercials were the worst I've ever seen, so putting that together with the horrible renditions of America The Beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner...this Superbowl was the worst ever in that venue...and the half-time show. Well, that was so bad it's not worth discussing.

I so hope that none of you guy's lick your friends fingers after eating Doritos, because I would have to think you were sending out your "gaydar" full force.

TJDave
02-07-2011, 01:19 PM
The one with the guy licking the other guy's hand after eating the Doritos was "creepy" to say the least.

They had to have market tested that spot prior to running it.

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Will you get back to me if some guy you know licks your fingers after you eat your Doritos, and let me know how you felt?....or better yet how hard he hit the floor?:)

slew101
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Didn't even turn FOX on until 6:35, so I missed the anthem flub. Give her credit for singing it live, but if these singers would skip the long pauses and drawn-out notes, they might not make mistakes.

When I used to go to NBA games, the anthem singer was always trying to put on a show and took 3 minutes to sing.

The commercials were bad, but at least I didn't have to see any of those Miller Lite "Man Up" commercials.

TJDave
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Dude, you didn't see what I saw. He wasn't licking...He was sucking. And if that wasn't enough, he ripped a guys pants off and smelled them.

Beyond weird. I guess if their intent was to get my attention, it worked.

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Dude, you didn't see what I saw. He wasn't licking...He was sucking. And if that wasn't enough, he ripped a guys pants off and smelled them.

This Dude is a Chick, but if I was quietly eating my Doritos and some chick started sucking my fingers and then rubbing her hands all over her skirt, I would be seriously concerned about her intentions and my own well-being. I don't swing that way. That's the message I was getting from the "creepy" commercial. It seems there was an agenda behind that commercial, or maybe I was the only one that felt that way.

falconridge
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Every year I look forward to the awesome Superbowl commercials. {...} Did I miss a Clydesdale one by any chance? They are the most awesome commercials out there.

{...}

not worth discussing.

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Awesomely inconsequential.

Do you have any opinions--I mean informed opinions--on anything of genuine moment?

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AWESOME

I'll bet you are a guy that loves Doritos sucked off their fingers.

Dahoss9698
02-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Charlee!!!!

falconridge
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

You lose. I've never eaten a Dorito, and don't keep prolonged company with anyone who does. In fact, I haven't purchased any Frito-Lay products since the Frito Bandito got busted for purloining a shipment of heavily salted snacks (circa 1971?).

Upon what do base your guess/bet?

P.S. Was there a football game on the boob tube yesterday? I was too absorbed in Catullan dactyls, spondees, and trochees to notice. ("O saeclum insapiens et infacetum!"--Catulli Veronensis liber, XLIII, 8)

RaceBookJoe
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Without a doubt, the Eminem Chrysler/Imported from Detroit commericial was by far the best...it gave me that " America wont quit " feeling. rbj

OTM Al
02-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Seemed to be the same old mix of violence, overt sexuality, and homophobia that tend to predominate SB commercials.

Nice bit of Catullus falconridge. Of course it is hard to top 101.

Valuist
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
The Super Bowl commercials have been big disappointments the last 3-4 years now. I didn't get much right in my Super Bowl predictions, but one thing that was right was that the SB commercials would suck.

JustRalph
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM

That's exactly what I saw too.... and it weirded me out

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
You lose. I've never eaten a Dorito, and don't keep prolonged company with anyone who does. In fact, I haven't purchased any Frito-Lay products since the Frito Bandito got busted for purloining a shipment of heavily salted snacks (circa 1971?).

P.S. Was there a football game on the boob tube yesterday? I was too absorbed in Catullan dactyls, spondees, and trochees to notice. ("O saeclum insapiens et infacetum!"--Catulli Veronensis liber, XLIII, 8)

Well, shades of Walt Whitman, I'm impressed. There's a poet in the house. I'm so glad your use of the word dactyls wasn't a throwback to old Greek mythology though:) I apologize profusely for my overuse of the word "awesome." Is that sufficient enough for your forgiveness?

My assumption was based on the fact that you took time away from your poetry to make fun of me. That's all.

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 05:43 PM

My profuse apologies to the poet amongst us:

Salve, nec minimo puella naso
nec bello pede nec nigris ocellis
nec longis digitis nec ore sicco
nec sane nimis elegante lingua,
decoctoris amica Formiani.
Ten provincia narrat esse bellam?
Tecum Lesbia nostra comparatur?
O saeclum insapiens et infacetum!

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Charlee!!!!

Last week I was accused of being someone named Winter Triangle. I'm not. I'm assuming you are accusing me of being someone named Charlee. I'm not. Is this really amusement for you people? You need a new hobby, because being a detective isn't cutting it.

cj's dad
02-07-2011, 08:35 PM
My profuse apologies to the poet amongst us:

Salve, nec minimo puella naso
nec bello pede nec nigris ocellis
nec longis digitis nec ore sicco
nec sane nimis elegante lingua,
decoctoris amica Formiani.
Ten provincia narrat esse bellam?
Tecum Lesbia nostra comparatur?
O saeclum insapiens et infacetum!

What a clown !!!

cj
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
The Doritos one with the fish, plant, and Grandpa was great.

AgainstAllOdds
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
What a clown !!!

Why, thank you Sir. I'm at my very best joking around. Take it in the spirit in which it's intended.

Ocala Mike
02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Without a doubt, the Eminem Chrysler/Imported from Detroit commericial was by far the best...it gave me that " America wont quit " feeling. rbj

Couldn't agree more. Love the "Imported from Detroit" take, although maybe a little too heavy-handedly didactic.

Also liked the kid in the Darth Vader costume (VW?).

Ocala Mike

horses4courses
02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Eminem/Chrysler commercial was terrific, and the best by far.

Honorable mention for the Bud "Tiny Dancer" ad....made me chuckle. :cool:

ponyplayerdotca
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
The Pepsi Max "First Date" ad was good - "I really want to sleep with her. I really want to sleep with her...."

And the ad where the guy driving the car hits the brakes and avoids hitting a beaver in the middle of the road was good. "Karma"... later in his life he is driving the same stretch of road when he avoids getting crushed due to an overflowing river and bridge collapse, for which the beaver is there after having built a dam that helps save him from doom.

Valuist
02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Too bad Chrysler didn't mention the bailout money they stole from the public. So much for that "feel good" story.....

TJDave
02-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Eminem as the face of the Detroit auto worker and Aguilera as the voice of American patriotism.

Not the world as I envisioned it. :faint:

bigmack
02-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Eminem as the face of the Detroit auto worker and Aguilera as the voice of American patriotism.
Not the world as I envisioned it.
Good pt. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Last week I was accused of being someone named Winter Triangle. I'm not. I'm assuming you are accusing me of being someone named Charlee. I'm not. Is this really amusement for you people? You need a new hobby, because being a detective isn't cutting it.For a "newbie," your wings are spread far and wide in record time.

Once again, settle down Beavis...

PhantomOnTour
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Didn't anyone like the email commercial where the guys workmate tells him he hit 'Reply All' on his email?....then he goes tearing thru the Board of Directors meeting sweeping up their laptops and goes ripping thru town finding all co-workers and destroying their computers.

I laughed, but don't remember what the ad was for...it was good though.

Valuist
02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Too bad Chrysler didn't mention the bailout money they stole from the public. So much for that "feel good" story.....

I'm shocked MSNBC and the New York Times aren't all over this. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, their economic knowledge is limited to whatever Matt Taibbi says.

On Spec
02-10-2011, 01:46 AM
The Doritos one with the fish, plant, and Grandpa was great.

YESSS!!! I think if the creepy finger-sucking one didn't poison the pool for Doritos, this one would have made more lists.

funnsss1
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Am I the only one who was shocked at the singing of the american national anthem and the total bomb of the black eyed peas.This super bowl has got to be the worst ever in terms of professional entertainment value.For a so called pro singer to mess up the most important song at the beginning of the most watched event in history and the electronic half time show that would of been better with say a real band the public is very forgiving id say.Why is nothing being made of the terrible performance of aguilera and the black eyed peas.Guess its all about take the money and run and joe public gets screwed again.I would at the least make aguilera go to every american service man and women and apologize for her total disrepect for the greatest nation in the world

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Why is nothing being made about it? It was all over the news and the internet the moment she screwed up....where have you been?

funnsss1
02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
I realize the media was all over aguilera but what where her repercussions.Nothing that really speaks to the total disrepect she showed for her performance and neither did the black eyed peas who where just as bad if not worst.

headhawg
02-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Repercussions? Like what, execution by firing squad?

And I'm not totally sure that people that support singers like Aguilera give a rat's ass that she screwed up the anthem, both melodically and lyric-wise. As awful as it was she will suffer no ill-effects monetarily. That's what seems to matter in the music world nowadays.

And don't get me started on the Black Eyed Peas? It's not music; most of what passes for music today is utter crap. I would rather listen to three hours of Barry Manilow than five minutes of most of today's (and the last 15 years) of Top 40 "hits".

PaceAdvantage
02-12-2011, 05:42 AM
I realize the media was all over aguilera but what where her repercussions.Nothing that really speaks to the total disrepect she showed for her performance and neither did the black eyed peas who where just as bad if not worst.Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for her, but really...total disrespect?

Yes, she messed up the words, but it wasn't on purpose, and like I said, everyone makes mistake. Unfortunately, her mistake came on the biggest of national stages.

There have been FAR WORSE renditions melodically...she certainly seemed quite passionate while singing, even if you don't appreciate her style, you have to admit that....so I don't quite get the "total disrespect" part.

lamboguy
02-12-2011, 07:07 AM
i think she is just a dope, so she should not have been singing it to begin with. the national anthem is the greatest song ever written, on a positive not, Kathy Lee Gifford sang it at a superbowl years ago, and she was great and showed lots of love to our country, she was very emotional and you could see the tears pour out of her eyes after she was done.

i stopped going to superbowls 20 years ago, today i just sell my tickets for lots of money!

PaceAdvantage
02-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I guess I was watching a different Super Bowl this year....I'm pretty sure I saw a singer putting her all into it...she just had a brain fart at the worst possible moment...it's not like this was her first time singing this particular song.

RaceBookJoe
02-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I guess I was watching a different Super Bowl this year....I'm pretty sure I saw a singer putting her all into it...she just had a brain fart at the worst possible moment...it's not like this was her first time singing this particular song.

Totally agree....very good singer who put her heart into the song, and she has done a great job with the Anthem before...just made a mistake. My biggest problem was that it was more of a lack of rehearsal than anything. Ps: Not sure if this was mentioned, but this weekend she and others will be paying homage to Aretha Franklin..hopefully she doesnt spell it R E S P E K T :bang: