PDA

View Full Version : U6 sitting steady at 19.2%

ElKabong
02-06-2011, 02:38 AM
This chart doesn't speak well for the past house, senate, nor the sitting President

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125639/Gallup-Daily-Workforce.aspx

Also, here's a scary chart below, if factual.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-percent-job-losses-in-post-wwii-recessions-2011-2?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+clusterstock+(ClusterStock)

bigmack
02-06-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm unwilling to assign credit or blame on those parkin' their cans in the OOffice.

It's coming time to let people know the workplace is far removed from what it once was. Start a lemonade stand or a viable business. Reliance on industry and certainly on The Gov to create a job or hire you is quickly becoming foolhardy.

lamboguy
02-06-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm unwilling to assign credit or blame on those parkin' their cans in the OOffice.

It's coming time to let people know the workplace is far removed from what it once was. Start a lemonade stand or a viable business. Reliance on industry and certainly on The Gov to create a job or hire you is quickly becoming foolhardy.
its the corrupt bankers

it has always been for centuries. their kids never go to war. to lazy to work and to yellow to steal

bigmack
02-06-2011, 05:52 AM
its the corrupt bankers
it has always been for centuries. their kids never go to war. to lazy to work and to yellow to steal
Stop already with your folded Bazooka Joe take on things. Of course the system is rigged for the serious "haves." So what? It's always been that way.

I'll continue to let people know the limitless possibilities of opportunities out there while you rabidly share the word of "don't bother, you don't stand a chance."

HUSKER55
02-06-2011, 06:53 AM
HEY bigmack

I agree but if this train wreck isn't stopped.......ya gotta wonder

ArlJim78
02-06-2011, 09:28 AM
scary graph.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_orkXxp0bhEA/TUzIlgaWpZI/AAAAAAAAjlk/fQ64ztFRQpI/s1600/110204-labor2.gif

johnhannibalsmith
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
...I'll continue to let people know the limitless possibilities of opportunities out there while you rabidly share the word of "don't bother, you don't stand a chance."

Crazy talk. If you don't got it, life it ain't fair. What's all this about the chance to get it for yourself now?

hcap
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
scary graph.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_orkXxp0bhEA/TUzIlgaWpZI/AAAAAAAAjlk/fQ64ztFRQpI/s1600/110204-labor2.gifThere is a structural change in the labor market. Globalization began the decline, and began at the beginning of buch/sheney.
Look at your graphs' X axis.

ArlJim78
02-06-2011, 10:33 AM
There is a structural change in the labor market. Globalization began the decline, and began at the beginning of buch/sheney.
Look at your graphs' X axis.
yeah I'm looking at the x axis, from Jan 2007 forward where it falls off a cliff when the Reid Pelosi Obama debacle began.

hcap
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Look, the last years of bush/cneney circa 2007, reflected all they had done to spiral down the economy during their tenure. The democratic congress was only a minor player. Conservative deregulation blew up the world.

And you guys want another shot at it?

delayjf
02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Specifically, which regulation inacted under Bush lead to this economy. Is it possible that businesses read the writing on the wall and reacted to remain viable?

delayjf
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
And I would remind you that it is progressives like Andy Stern and George Soros that are pushing globalization, not Conservatives

Ocala Mike
02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
That chart is a classic "head and shoulders" pattern. Nowhere to go now but down. Whatever's happening appears to be a secular, not a cyclical, change. Sorry for the doom and gloom, now on with Super Bowl Sunday!

Ocala Mike

chickenhead
02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
If I had the time I'd start a business just catering to the restaurants around you. I notice most of them don't have the time or wherewithal to do anything worthwhile on the internet.

Google Maps has "Place Pages" and since Google is far and away the #1 mapping service, these get tons of hit. Google generates these automatically, but they can be "claimed" by the business owner and they can update them. Most restaurants haven't claimed their pages.

Same with Twitter, Facebook, etc -- all great ways to get in touch with your customers, once they're subscribed you can update them with daily specials, deals, live music, etc.

Their websites are generally a mess, and generally not mobile friendly -- despite the fact that looking up restaurants on mobiles is exploding as people look for places to eat on the fly. People need to be able to read your menus on their mobiles.

Unfortunately, restaurants are notoriously tight with the purse strings -- but there are lots and lots of them around. Give a few some service for free, figure out the ropes and what works, and then pitch people with a relatively modest monthly fee for the service.

Zero start-up costs, easy to explain and measure benefits, and can be done anywhere.

bigmack
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Zero start-up costs, easy to explain and measure benefits, and can be done anywhere.
That's now thinking. :ThmbUp:

chickenhead
02-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Economies are strange. Right now, GDP is at an all-time high. The US has never had a higher national income. Also, right now, US manufacturing is at an all-time high. We produce more widgets within our borders now than we ever have.

So why do we have 10% unemployment, or maybe more to the point, HOW do we have 10% unemployment? It's all about productivity, and what industries we have.

Back in the day, everyone worked on a farm. Then one day they didn't. But we didn't stop producing food, food production has done nothing but go up, even though there are almost no farmers. Goes up every year.

All those people then moved on to work in factories. Then one day they didn't. But we didn't stop producing mfg'd goods, manufacturing output has done nothing but go up, even though there are almost no factory workers. Goes up every year.

All those people then moved on to work in offices. Then one day they didn't. But we didn't stop doing office work, corporate profits are at all time high margins, it turns out for our economy to run at full GDP we didn't need those workers doing those jobs. It'll take awhile for them to get hired back, corporations are doing just fine without them.

Productivity gains are a bitch. I think about those 50's era commercials about the Wash-omatic 9000 dishwashing machine, the latest innovation from GE, and all the leisure time we were all supposed to have "in the future" while our machines did all the work.

In a lot of ways it has come true -- we can produce a mountain of widgets that are nice and useful and can make life easier, without that many people doing anything.

And therefore a whole lot of people have lots of leisure time. The future is here and more so every day -- it just doesn't feel like people were hoping it would. Turns out the people with the extra leisure time due to obsolescence don't necessarily get to have any cool widgets.

TJDave
02-07-2011, 03:05 AM
If I had the time I'd start a business just catering to the restaurants around you. I notice most of them don't have the time or wherewithal to do anything worthwhile on the internet.

I'm a operator/consultant and from experience I'll say that most restaurants haven't a clue. If you aren't marketing on the internet you are doomed.