PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Picks: Sat., Feb. 5

Teach
02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Live from the home of "Afternoon Delight," Freehold Raceway in Freehold, New Jersey...It's SAL, "Saturday Afternoon Live"...with your host, Walt...a.k.a. "Teach," "The Harness Maven," With guest appearances by: "The Voice," Larry Lederman; "The Orange Crush," Andy Ray Miller; "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleano; Pat "The Harvard Man" Berry; "Eric the Red" Abbatiello; Harry "The Falcon" Landy; Steve Smith; Jack Baggitt, Jr; Vinny "VG" Ginsburg; Mark Lewis, Jim Marshall III; Matt Romano, Nick Surick, and a host of others.

Race One:

#2 Boston Red Sock (why am I so partial to that name?) with Jack Baggitt, Jr. in the bike won last time on a sloppy track. It looks like he'll deal with another off track, today. He also gets another good starting post. This Blissfull Hall-bred gelding should be on or near the lead. He's my choice to visit the semi-circled green carpet for picture-taking. Underneath: #4 Sand Hill N looms as the major danger. "Gentleman Jim" Pantaleano is one of the best drivers regularly campaigning at Freehold. The switch here from the trainer to "The Pandy Man" is big. #1 JatesTouchinHeaven retains the services of "The Orange Crush," Andy Ray Miller. At long last, the horse dsraws a decent starting post, "the pylons". Miller, one of North Americaq's leading drivers, can never be ignored. Then, there's #6 Blissfuill Ball with Vinny Ginsburg. This horse has hit the board in seven of his last nine. In his current good form, he merits consideration. Finally, #3 Kaa Dee Elmo fits well in this company. He may be firing out for the lead. If he can find a tuck or make "the engine" he becomes a factor here.

Teach
02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Race Two:

#3 Colorful Dreams with Andy Miller won last time in the slop. I see no reason why this horse can't repeat. Should be on or near "the engine". #2 Prince Polygon with Vinny Ginsburg was competitive with this group last time (he finished fourth to Colorful Dreams). He has a good starting slot. He should handle an off track. This horse is quite usable in gimmicks. #6 Bruce Kennedy finished third in this race last week. I'd like him better if he were starting closer to "the pegs" (that doesn't mean that this horse can't get the job done). He's most capable of hitting the tote. #7 Hasta Luego (A Bientot, too) does have a tough starting post; yet the horse competed against better at The Meadows. Driver Mark Lewis is most capable. Might finish off a tri or super. Finally, #1 Hal's Legacy is a lightly-raced No Pan Intended-bred gelding. He does draw "the rail." Jim Pantaleano is most capable. Might just pick up the pieces in a super.

Teach
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Race Three:

#2 Cam's Conqueror retains the services of "The Orange Crush," driver Andy Miller. His wife Julie (do we dare call Julie, "Orange Julius"; I believe Julie's maiden surname was Julius) trains. This horse finished third from the eight-hole. Today, the horse draws the number-two starting slot. Should handle the "off" track conditions. Underneath: #1 Racsan Matt with Jimmy Devaux (first time I remember seeing Jim at Freehold; he usually plies his trade at Saratoga, prior to that, Monticello). Devaux does have a horse that might just hit the board; he's been running against better at both The Meadowlands and Saratoga. #3 Tyler's Echo has been first or second in two of his last three. Here's another horse that should handle the off going. #5 Speed Trap with Pat Berry has been a way from the races for awhile; however, if he's reasonably fit, he can mop up a tri or super. Finally, #7 Doggone Incredible with Jim Pantaleano had a seven-straight hit-the-board streak snapped last week with a sixth place finish. I'm not crazy about this horse's post (he had the seven, last week), but on his best and with the help of Pantaleano, the horse might pick up the pieces in a super.

Teach
02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Race Four:

#4 Hona Suga has hit the board in five straight. This Artsplace-bred horse retains the services of Steve Smith (I'm surprised he's going off at these odds). I believe the horse can get the job done. Underneath: #8 Chomp N Stomp turned in a stellar race in his last; he finished second in 1:55.3. Even though he draws the extreme outside post, the horse is most capable of hitting the tote. Andy Miller's a big plus. #3 Be My Hero with Vinny Ginsburg drops down with the company he can handle. He draws a much better starting post. I believe the horse is capable of hitting the board #2 Prince Javelin gets the services of Pat Berry. The horse has faced better in the past and is quite capable of completing a gimmick. Finally, #5 Grantville has hit the tote in three straight. In his current god form, he just might complete an exotic.

The Bit
02-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Baggits drive in the first race was criminal. Pop the pocket to challenge the even money fav with nobody coming on the outside and than lose to the horse you gave the pocket too? Criminally stupid.

Teach
02-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Race Five:

I'm going with #4 BT's Spice Of Life. The horse won last time in an impressive 1:55.1. He also retains the services of Andy Miller. I see no reason why this horse can't repeat. Underneath: #5 Marchand with Jack Baggitt, Jr. is most capable of hitting the tote. This horse should be on or near ""the engine". Baggitt is a very capable "gate-driver". He should be able to hustle this horse away from the gate and toward the top. #2 Dreams Are Real looks like he handles the wet track. He might just surprise and add value to your gimmicks. Then, there's #6 Keep On Flyin with Steve Smith. This horse finished third in his last, He's hit the board in four of his last five. I see no reason why he can't complete a tri or super. Finally, #1 Truly The Man with Mark Lewis had a tough outside starting post in his last; he now draws inside. That should make a world of difference. The horse is capable of picking up the pieces in a tri or super.