PDA

View Full Version : Gold Rush Alaska

Zippy Chippy
02-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Is anyone else watching this trainwreck that is supposedly the #1 show on cable.?

THey have spent $275,000 to do this on equipment and after a 3 months they had a couple flakes of gold, 2.7 ounces worth $3500. Tonight they found 3 ounces and they are all celebrating.

Dave Schwartz
02-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I have never watched the show but used to have a friend who was really into panning for gold. He had a huge amount invested in equipment. Well, maybe not $275k, but certainly many of thousands.

About one week a year he would head off somewhere - like Idaho, California, wherever - and live the sourdough's life. He had this dredge-thing; looked like one of those rubber Zodiac boats. In the center was a small engine that would suck up water, mud, rocks, and presumably, a little gold from time to time. Then he would search through the muck - maybe they call that "mucking?"

He would come back dirty, filthy, tired and a happy guy even if he found nothing. I remember him showing me about $750 worth of gold he had found. I was amazed at how little it actually was.

PICSIX
02-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Is anyone else watching this trainwreck that is supposedly the #1 show on cable.?

THey have spent $275,000 to do this on equipment and after a 3 months they had a couple flakes of gold, 2.7 ounces worth $3500. Tonight they found 3 ounces and they are all celebrating.

I can't believe the crew is truly that clueless--a large part of it has to be the editing, I hope. :confused:

prospector
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
as a prospector they drive me crazy each week...
i could have told them all they were doing wrong from week one..i'd had guys panning from day one and bringing in gold per day..they break down and mope..grrrr..
i could have gold more gold with a drywasher or high banker in one day than they average per week..
to spend that kind of money and NOT take a prospector along was stupid from the beginning..
i hope they all fail..they deserve it..
the guy with a red beard, i'd killed him on day two and made bear food outta him..what a crybaby..
they could get more gold panning on the beach at Nome...
hopefully, they'll start to listen to the professional, get gold and STOP BITCHING..man the F up..
about 4 weeks till i go back to the desert...yea..

FantasticDan
02-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Like any reality show, there are manufactured storylines for the purpose of creating melodrama. Read thru this blog of one of the cast members for how "real" this all is:

http://www.goldminingrealityshow.com/

prospector
02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Like any reality show, there are manufactured storylines for the purpose of creating melodrama. Read thru this blog of one of the cast members for how "real" this all is:

http://www.goldminingrealityshow.com/
now i'm really pissed...by the way..the shaker table puts your gold on the SIDE of the run, not the bottom like they tried to show..its a beautiful sight if you got enough concentrate to run the table...little gold ribbon running down..yum yum..
screw it..time to get the equipment ready..