PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Chicago........

JustRalph
02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
I am watching the radar.......and Chi-Town is getting whacked in the ass harder than Kim Kardashian on a three day boy bender at the Super Bowl...........

The storm was just about to start moving east and the pressure system from the south has moved up and started a recycling effect (counter clockwise Low Pressure system) which means parts of the same storm are going to snow on Chi-town more than once...........this is going to be a humdinger......sorry, no Kardashian jokes with that phrase

Any Chi-Towners care to share some pics ?

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USIL1114&animate=true

JustRalph
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
http://media.myfoxchicago.com/wx/loop/great.html

http://weather.myfoxchicago.com/maps/WFLD/regional/radar/d640x480/WFLD_Iris_Chicago_to_des_moines0.jpeg

thaskalos
02-02-2011, 02:53 AM
I am watching the radar.......and Chi-Town is getting whacked in the ass harder than Kim Kardashian on a three day boy bender at the Super Bowl...........

The storm was just about to start moving east and the pressure system from the south has moved up and started a recycling effect (counter clockwise Low Pressure system) which means parts of the same storm are going to snow on Chi-town more than once...........this is going to be a humdinger......sorry, no Kardashian jokes with that phrase

Any Chi-Towners care to share some pics ?

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USIL1114&animate=trueI don't have any pictures to share, but I can tell you that my front door is barricated behind four feet of snow...and they tell us that the worst is yet to come.

Two feet of snow, with 50-60 mile an hour winds, and temperature dropping to zero...

That's life in the windy city...

redshift1
02-02-2011, 03:09 AM
I don't have any pictures to share, but I can tell you that my front door is barricated behind four feet of snow...and they tell us that the worst is yet to come.

Two feet of snow, with 50-60 mile an hour winds, and temperature dropping to zero...

That's life in the windy city...

So what happens if the power goes ? do people keep generators on hand

ArlJim78
02-02-2011, 05:16 AM
for 12 hours now there has been no let up. continuous heavy snowfall with steady 20-40 mph winds. very eerie, the look and sound of things.

JBmadera
02-02-2011, 05:23 AM
for 12 hours now there has been no let up. continuous heavy snowfall with steady 20-40 mph winds. very eerie, the look and sound of things.

does it look as if the area will get 2 feet of snow? unbelievable, stay warm and safe!

bigmack
02-02-2011, 05:37 AM
My brother surfs Lake Superior. I hear Lake Michigan has 20 foot swells.

Cowabunga.

ArlJim78
02-02-2011, 05:39 AM
with the wind blowing so hard it makes for an uneven depth. some areas still look like there isn't much at all, but you just know that its piling up somewhere. i haven't been out yet but i think they are saying it will total between 1 and 2 feet accumulation.

illinoisbred
02-02-2011, 06:43 AM
I haven't seen a plow since yesterday at 10:00 in the morning-I'm out in the country. My 2nd job is newspaper delivery...got up at 2:15 went through the motions like I'm going-took a look outside. The snow is above my front fender-figured I better call in to say I can't get out. No home delivery today-the 1st in my 8 years,and the 1st since 1979. Hope the power stays on. When it goes out here sometimes out for a day and a 1/2. And yes, do have a large portable gas-powered generator on wheels.

HUSKER55
02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Got pelted in milwaukee. No body is going anywhee. I got a drift that is higher than my kitchen window. Wind is doing a nice J - O - B.

Only an idiot goes out in this. If the power goes down we are scewd cause I didn't even think to rent a generator just in case.

On the upside, there is fresh coffee and fresh home made cinamon rolls. The cat is playing with a ball of yarn and the internet is up so life is good.

stay in and have a great day.

DJofSD
02-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Spoke with coworkers in both St. Louis and Chi-town yesterday. Not a pretty picture.

Oh, Al, can we get a little warmth at this part of the global, please, stat!

dlgreg
02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Still snowing at 8:20 AM.
Reported official snowfall at O'hare is 17.1"
Wind gusts reported up to 70 MPH at the Lakefront.
Temperatures for tonight are predicted to be as low as -15F (actual, not wind chill).
Good day to stay home!

Robert Goren
02-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Just think of all those mild summer days ahead. After all, it never gets above 80 in July.:rolleyes:

Valuist
02-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Snow is piled up about 4 feet high against my patio door. I really question the earlier statement about 20 foot swells, however. Maybe far out in the middle of the lake but most of it is frozen. Haven't heard the media mention anything about it today.

My biggest fear was power outages. I was working on an Excel file for work last night and saved it....about 10 minutes before the power went out. Only was out for about 5 seconds but was very fortunate not to lose the file. The high winds are wreaking havoc.

As bad as it is, right now its only the 5th worst snowstorm here. I have to believe the 4 bigger snows didn't have nearly the hype this one has had.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Last I heard a couple more inches fell, and officially at O'Hare there is someting around 20 1/2", 3rd largest in Chicago history.

Heard one person died by the waves off the lake - they were wave watching and got swallowed up by one of the huge waves - per CPD.

DJofSD
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Last I heard a couple more inches fell, and officially at O'Hare there is someting around 20 1/2", 3rd largest in Chicago history.

Heard one person died by the waves off the lake - they were wave watching and got swallowed up by one of the huge waves - per CPD.
That death should show up on next seasons episodes of Spike's 1,000 Ways to Die. "Popsicle"

PhantomOnTour
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
get the hell outta' that weather! Move south! However, the high in Lafayette, La is only about 44 today and we can't handle it...nobody goin nowhere. Low of 28 or so tonight and that just flat scares me. :eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2011, 11:25 PM
get the hell outta' that weather! Move south! However, the high in Lafayette, La is only about 44 today and we can't handle it...nobody goin nowhere. Low of 28 or so tonight and that just flat scares me. :eek:

Lafayette, we are here. (Stuck here.)

NJ Stinks
02-03-2011, 01:06 AM
I can't over those pictures of cars deserted on Lake Shore Drive.

Incredible.