PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Thoronet?

sq764
10-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Anyone currently use Thoronet (the free TSN version)? I was reading the manual and it seemed like it had potential.. Curious as to the performance.

JimG
10-11-2003, 10:02 AM
I believe it is the same program as Neurax, which uses Bris files. As I recall, it did not get good feedback on this board. You should be able to search under Neurax and find something.

Jim

sq764
10-11-2003, 10:36 AM
That brings me to another question.. What is the difference between brisnet and TSN???

They basically have the exact same files, different prices.. Are they both owned by Brisnet?

Brian Flewwelling
10-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by sq764
That brings me to another question.. What is the difference between brisnet and TSN???

They basically have the exact same files, different prices.. Are they both owned by Brisnet?

BRIS has a contract with DRF for its data, TSN deals with Equibase. But, of course, DRF deals with Equibase too!

BRIS and TSN have very similar data, but the BRIS files called DRF-multi, cost $1 (last i checked) and TSN's $.50 file is similar, but is missing some data. I last checked this out in 2002, so things could have changed. At the time, I was using BRIS and looking to save ... I decided against it for the want of information.

Brian

wes
10-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Equibase Company LLC

See who owns the data and where DRF and all others gets their data.

wes

takeout
10-30-2003, 12:58 PM
I still don't understand how/why DRF gets to be a wholesaler AND a reseller. ??????????????????

If they are a reseller, then they shouldn't be able to sell to BRIS.

If they are a wholesaler, then they shouldn't be able to sell to us.

Brian Flewwelling
10-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by takeout
I still don't understand how/why DRF gets to be a wholesaler AND a reseller. ??????????????????

If they are a reseller, then they shouldn't be able to sell to BRIS.

If they are a wholesaler, then they shouldn't be able to sell to us.

Excuse me, but what planet are you from? DRF can sell to whom they wish. They decide to sell data to the public with NO rights for further dispersal. They sell the data to BRIS with the rights to publish. They set different price levels for their different products too.

I can't find the file description for TSN's cheap data file, but my guess is that it does not contain the DRF speed rating, nor the Variant, both of which were included in the BRIS stuff.

The history of this difference goes back to when The Jockey Club and DRF sorted out who would do what re collecting data and keeping the records circa 1998. The result, i believe, was DRF now is not involved with any Data Acquisition, and is simply a reseller of Equibase Race Data with Value added such as Speed Ratings, and Beyers

I say the above based on limited information and weak recall. I would rather hear the story from someone closer to the action.

Fleww

takeout
10-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian Flewwelling
The result, i believe, was DRF now is not involved with any Data Acquisition, and is simply a reseller of Equibase Race Data with Value added such as Speed Ratings, and Beyers

I was under that same impression and still don't understand why a reseller would buy from a reseller. BRIS doesn't have Beyers or Tomlinsons so why would they use a DRF file?

There must be a lot more to it than BRIS paying DRF for just a few extras like their speed rating and variant. Probably has more to do with the breeding stuff that BRIS sells that goes all the way back to whenever. Still can't fathom why BRIS would fool with the DRF files to make their own.

Brian Flewwelling
10-30-2003, 04:46 PM
They have obviously had contracts with DRF for some time. There may be a 2-way deal, as you suggest, but I am under the impression that the Jockey Club now keeps the Breeding data ... but Equibase is the Jockey Club.

Drf calculate the Speed Ratings and Variants. By using DRF as a source, they get those, and who knows what else? And at what price?

Your confusion over a reseller buying from a reseller confuses me. I was in business myself some years back and acted as both a wholesaler and a retailer, so I have no problem with that concept. No one business can assume they reach all the potential retail customers, and getting a little slice of another business's business is better than not getting anything.

What interests me is that BRIS and TSN operate as two businesses with 'different' data sources.

Fleww