PDA

View Full Version : Randy Giles Interview

Dave Schwartz
01-29-2011, 11:03 PM
In December I interviewed Randy Giles, author of Extreme Pace Handicapping. It was a great interview - ran about an hour.

However, I have had huge problems with rendering the video but finally got it rendered. The file is HUGE - Almost a 1gb download!

On Monday I will get with the Camtasia tech support guys to figure out what the problem is with my usual rendering.

So, here is the deal - this video is a free download - call it a "thank you" for signing up on my new website. Be aware that the content is still light but we're adding more each week. The "Grand Opening" is still probably three weeks away.

Below is a link to the registration for my new site. Register there as PA Gold" members - please use your PA handle as it will entitle you to some special benefits once we get going.

Then, once you are registered, I will send you a link you download the file. If you would prefer to wait until the smaller file is available, that is fine as well.

http://thehorsehandicappingauthority.com/pace_gold

Exotic1
01-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks Dave for both the time and product.

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Those of you who have registered, thank you. I also noticed that a few others had already signed up. If any who have also signed up would like the link, just send me a personal email.

Enjoy the video.

I'll try to have at least one new interview each month.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Randy told me I could offer you guys a downloadable PDF copy of his book if you would like. The cost is only $10 - less than the printed copy.

CincyHorseplayer
01-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I'm signed up.I can wait for the smaller download though.

Capper Al
01-30-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm in.

PICSIX
01-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Signed up this morning. I will wait for the smaller file. :)

Thanks Dave,

Mike

raybo
01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm signed up and will also wait for the smaller download.

Thanks Dave for the offer!!

barshoe
01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm signed up and will also wait for the smaller download. thanks.

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I would appreciate feedback on this video once you have watched it.

Remember, it is free. All you have to do is sign up. And just so you know, the goal of signing you up is so that I can send you announcements of stuff just like this.

I have three more video interviews lined up for the next couple of months and looking for more.

CincyHorseplayer
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
No problem Dave.I already responded to a feature in your blog.It wouldn't use my screen name though,just my real name,Rod Denton.Is that normal?

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I saw that. I am going to have the tech guys figure out why.

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I may have created a nightmare for myself, here, with so many people waiting for the video. So, permit me to say this:

1. Once I get the video re-rendered, I will send everyone who signed up for the free PA-Gold membership a link.

2. If you have registered and wish to download what is there now, please send me an email and I will send you the link directly.

Dave

Capper Al
01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I signed up but somehow got lost. Where's the interview?

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Please send me an email with the same address you signed up with.

GatetoWire
01-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks Dave. I have signed up. Looking forward to seeing the video.

If any of you have a kindle I would recommend taking Randy up on the $10 for his book.

I bought it a few months ago in PDF form and it works great on the kindle.

Dave Schwartz
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I have gotten the video rendering problem solved and will have the video up later this morning.

Dave

RaceBookJoe
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
All signed up !!! rbj

Capper Al
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks Dave. It was a good interview. I'll be testing a few of his ideas.

JimG
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks Dave. It was a good interview. I'll be testing a few of his ideas.

I signed up but have not seen a link for the interview. Hope I get it soon.

Jim

Dave Schwartz
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
LOL - Just as soon as I can figure out how to send a group email...

Dave

Dave Schwartz
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
While I am figuring out how to send bulk mail from the site, anyone who has registered may send me a private email and I will send you the link. It will likely appear on the site tomorrow.

JimG - just email me.

JimG
01-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Dave,

Thanks for sending. I like the website. Looks very professional.

Jim

Cheap Speed
01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Dave thanks for the interview with Randy. Good job. Interesting stuff. Always enjoy different views on handicapping. Thanks to Randy for taking the time and allowing "us" into his extreme handicapping world. I have read the book and used the "cloud" version but not the latest handicappers lab. For those that listen/watch the interview its a good peak at the fundamental philosophy of it but there is a lot of other parts and nuisances too. Read the book and visit Randy's site for more.

Dave Schwartz
01-31-2011, 11:04 PM
It seems we are still struggling with email issues from the new site.

If anyone who has registered would care to send me an email I'll be happy to send you the link.

Dave

andicap
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Just signed up.
Wish I could get to the private wine and cheese tasting this month!;)

Oh yes, please send me the Giles interview. Thanks!

Dave Schwartz
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Wine and cheese - Yes, that is the web guys' way of testing the events calendar. LOL - I decided to leave it. Waiting for someone to notice.

However, we are actually thinking about having a pretty big KY Derby party this year. For real.

Partsnut
02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Dave,

The Giles interview was informative and gave the fundementals of the PaceAppraiser method and approach. There is much more that can be learned from Randy's book, "Extreme Pace Handicapping".
For Those that are unfamiliar with it, The PaceAppraiser Form does not correspond directly to the BRIS interpretations of Running Styles and Speed Points and can significantly effect a races projected outcome. This is dependant on what you may or may not be using to assess the values speed points and running styles. By far and away and in my opinion The PaceAppraiser Form is the most accurate when it comes these all important factors.

Charlie D
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Dave,

The Giles interview was informative and gave the fundementals of the PaceAppraiser method and approach. There is much more that can be learned from Randy's book, "Extreme Pace Handicapping".
For Those that are unfamiliar with it, The PaceAppraiser Form does not correspond directly to the BRIS interpretations of Running Styles and Speed Points and can significantly effect a races projected outcome. This is dependant on what you may or may not be using to assess the values speed points and running styles. By far and away and in my opinion The PaceAppraiser Form is the most accurate when it comes these all important factors.

People may find his articles on website of interest too Bill.

Partsnut
02-01-2011, 04:03 PM
People may find his articles on website of interest too Bill.

Charlie, You right. There's a wealth of information on his sight which includes videos, definitions etc. Those that are interested can learn alot there.

Thanks for reminding me.:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
I think the thing that impressed me most about Randy's approach was the speed at which he went through races, deciding in an instant that the current race was just not worth looking at.

Another thing I enjoyed was Randy's colorful labels for things. It goes well-beyond the characterizations from his book - carpet bagger, thief, etc. He commonly dubs a race he doesn't care to delve into a "mush race." Another time he refers to a horse who does not fit the conditions as "not being invited" to the race.

All in all, it was a great interview. I have several more lined up for the next few months.

Also, while you guys are at the site, take a look at the Improve Your Game videos. Each of these videos are less than 10 minutes - usually about 6 minutes - on a particular topic. I have the next 3 planned and will shoot them next week.

My plan is to do about four or five a month.

BTW, eventually, most of the content will be for subscribers only. Just so you know, I have no plans to ever charge for access to the site but the PA Gold membership gets some stuff that the regular members will not get.

If you subscribed early and did not get the PA membership, I can delete your membership and you can re-register with your PA handle.

Dave

PS: Note to Teddy: Have you figured out what Randy and I "get" from this yet?

raybo
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I agree that there was good information in the video, although Randy was, at times, hard to hear. I think Dave did a very good job of driving Randy back to, for the non-Pace Appraiser user, points that needed more explanation.

I think what I got out of the interview, more than anything else, was what Randy divulged, regarding his personal playing style. Although he "skims" through races quickly, which some might misinterpret as "loose", in reality, he is a very patient, consistent, and disciplined player, only wagering on those races that "hit him in the heart" (good edge) and his making a point of saying that he only wagers when he gets the value he demands.

I think that, no matter what tools you use, without patience, consistency, and discipline, your road to profit will be long and bumpy. I know my brief "foray" into full time play demanded all 3 qualities.

GameTheory
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Where is this video? Was it ever posted or do I still need a direct link? (Send me one.)

Dave Schwartz
02-13-2011, 02:16 PM
It is available via direct link at the time you sign up for the website. Since you signed up before, I will have to send you the link manually.

(Which I just did.)

Charlie D
02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
It is available via direct link at the time you sign up for the website. Since you signed up before, I will have to send you the link manually.

(Which I just did.)

Signed up, got confirmation mail, but can't see a link to Randy Giles Interview.

Those 10 minute vids are :cool: imho btw.

Dave Schwartz
02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I told the guys that people would miss them. They were on the page right after you signed up.

I'll go find your PA Handle on my site and send you the link.

Charlie D
02-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks Dave and Randy.

CBedo
02-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Dave, I must have missed the link as well. Thanks for the help.

Helles
02-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Dave,

I must have signed up too soon as well.

Doug
(in AFG)

BIG HIT
02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Pace line video great along with others.Couldn't find randy video you did great job thank's
P.S I'am login

tanix
02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Yup, I missed the link as well. I just assumed that the interview was still being worked upon.

GameTheory
02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Pace line video great along with others.Couldn't find randy video you did great job thank's
P.S I'am loginI couldn't find the pace line video. Where are all these secret links?

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
LOL - Me either.

Seriously.

Donnie
02-14-2011, 12:03 PM
where did you say the end of the line is?? LOL (same boat. hand me an oar)

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Guys, just send me an email and I'll be happy to send you the link.

Dave

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Be sure to tell me which link you are looking for. Just so you know, I really do not know where the "pace line selection" video is.

So, please do not write about that one as I do not have a current link.

Tom
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I think I downloaded a pace line video....let me look when I get home.
Question on the mp4 files...what is the resolution?
I bought a new player and would like to play them on it if I can.

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 12:59 PM
1280 x 720

Tom
02-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks.

Crap.

;):D

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Why? What resolution do you need?

Tom
02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Very small...320 x ???
I'd need to look it up again.

It's for a small hand held...no biggie, I have my Acer net book I can use.
The screen is only 3" so I probably couldn't read the stuff on it anyway.

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 02:25 PM
That sounds true.

And you wouldn't be able to see so clearly why I am lucky to have a date.

HittTX
02-14-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Software has a converter that you can use to convert video to any resolution. Runs real quick. I just converted all the Improve and Decline and New Pace videos to play on my Ipod Touch.

Dave looks much better on a small screen.

I think you can download a trial version for free.

BIG HIT
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Found video interview.Randy was hard to follow and the question you ask helped follow what he was really saying.Had try gage before just not acurate enough for me to give me more confidence in my selection's
One thing about randy he is good guy when had his old website emailed him and he respond with a explaination in pretty good responce time.
Your video were great and helped a lot thank you doing a great job

dkbigsky
02-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I really liked the interview Thanks Dave and Randy

Dave Schwartz
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I know I can speak for Randy when I say that we both enjoyed it. We have plans to do another interview in a couple of months with his new "Lab" software.

I am building a list of future interviewees and have already scheduled a couple. There are a few that I would really like to interview that have not responded to my emails. I will follow up with them in early March and try to get them on the schedule.

Dave

mistergee
02-16-2011, 03:13 PM
I very much enjoyed the interview and appreciate it> I was somewhat surprised at a couple things. One was that Randy would not play an "s" or as is his designation a "c" horse as they come from "too far back", another is he does not play horses listed as high odds (20 or 30-1), and another that he does not play horses out of their conditions or "class". I am guessing maybe it shoudlnt be surprising because it seems he said he is mostly a win bettor and not much of an exotics player. I would think some of the best bombers would be eliminated by these few rules he throws in.

raybo
02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I very much enjoyed the interview and appreciate it> I was somewhat surprised at a couple things. One was that Randy would not play an "s" or as is his designation a "c" horse as they come from "too far back", another is he does not play horses listed as high odds (20 or 30-1), and another that he does not play horses out of their conditions or "class". I am guessing maybe it shoudlnt be surprising because it seems he said he is mostly a win bettor and not much of an exotics player. I would think some of the best bombers would be eliminated by these few rules he throws in.

I think it's because Randy knows what he does best, he's found his niche and is disciplined enough to stay there. For most non-exotic players, high priced horses, deep closers, horses out of their class, etc., have such low win rates that it's almost more trouble than it's worth.

For exotics players, who are just waiting for the big scores, it's a different ballgame.

mistergee
02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I think it's because Randy knows what he does best, he's found his niche and is disciplined enough to stay there. For most non-exotic players, high priced horses, deep closers, horses out of their class, etc., have such low win rates that it's almost more trouble than it's worth.

For exotics players, who are just waiting for the big scores, it's a different ballgame.
yes thats what I had figured being he is a win player