PDA

View Full Version : Trainer with 2 horses in a race...angle?

Oaklawn
01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Seasoned rookie here. This was my first outing to Oaklawn this year. I don't play much, but from now till May I'm engaged in casual racing live and online at Oaklawn for small potatoes.

Today, in the 7th race, as I was looking for a pick, I noticed that the trainer Dutrow had two horses in the field, the #6 (the even money favorite) and the #7, which went off at 6/1. The #8 horse also looked strong as far as past speed and class as best I could tell. I was thinking that one of these three was going to win, but also wondered why the #7 had such long odds compared to the other two. (I missed on the race, trying a tri combo with the 7)

I was wondering how common it is for a trainer to have two horses in the field together and the longer odd horse winning, and if this is the intent somehow of the trainer in order win more money? Am I way off here?

Here's the chart of this race: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant_pdf.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=OP&date=2011-01-29&race=7

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stillriledup
01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
The longer priced horse of an uncoupled entry probably wins in accordance with its odds.

If you're a rookie, i would suggest to really learn the horseflesh and don't worry about 'manipulation'. This is, for the most part, an honest game and your handicapping will be much better off in the long run believing that is the case.

Robert Goren
01-29-2011, 11:39 PM
This is a trick that some older trainers use back from the days when stables need cash bets in order to stay in operation. Most time it doesn't mean anything, but you should note the trainer when it happens. He probably does some other things as well. The race had Don Von Hemel trained horse in it. I say that in passing because he and his sons used to pull some strange stuff at Aksarben when it was running. You should really keep notes on trainers for stuff that the Formulator trainer stats don't cover if you really are serious about making money at this game. It is one of the secrets, but it does take time and work and it may take months for something useful to pop again. A track with purses and the handle of Oaklawn is the perfect place for this stuff to go on.

classhandicapper
01-30-2011, 01:39 AM
I never tracked that angle, but I know that some trainers do poorly when they run entries and on the flip side you'll sometimes see a trainer sacrifice one horse on the pace to help another.

PICSIX
01-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I believe Stillriledup has it right. The info available in the form (to me) pointed to the favorite. Both horses coming from New York had never ran over the Oaklawn surface before--the favorite never looked comfortable.

Robert Goren
01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
I believe Stillriledup has it right. The info available in the form (to me) pointed to the favorite. Both horses coming from New York had never ran over the Oaklawn surface before--the favorite never looked comfortable.As is often the case, the info in the form pointed you in the wrong direction. People who bet only off of info from the form have very tough road to profitability these days.

Mineshaft
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
This is a trick that some older trainers use back from the days when stables need cash bets in order to stay in operation. Most time it doesn't mean anything, but you should note the trainer when it happens. He probably does some other things as well. The race had Don Von Hemel trained horse in it. I say that in passing because he and his sons used to pull some strange stuff at Aksarben when it was running. You should really keep notes on trainers for stuff that the Formulator trainer stats don't cover if you really are serious about making money at this game. It is one of the secrets, but it does take time and work and it may take months for something useful to pop again. A track with purses and the handle of Oaklawn is the perfect place for this stuff to go on.

what kind of strange stuff did Von Hemmel pull off?

Robert Goren
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
what kind of strange stuff did Von Hemmel pull off?He did some of uncoupled entry stuff. At least once a year he pull the switch from his usual top 3 or 4 jockey to a jockey who didn't win more than 4 or 5 races a meet. Those are two that come to mind off the top my head. My trainer notes from Aksarben got lost a long time ago.

Kelso
01-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I never tracked that angle, but I know that some trainers do poorly when they run entries and on the flip side you'll sometimes see a trainer sacrifice one horse on the pace to help another.

And that's the reason all common-trainer entries should be coupled. Trainers are allowed to get away with too much unethical/illegal manipulation on the backstretch. It shouldn't be tolerated on the track, as well.

Robert Goren
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I never tracked that angle, but I know that some trainers do poorly when they run entries and on the flip side you'll sometimes see a trainer sacrifice one horse on the pace to help another.You almost never that outside of stakes races. Even there it is pretty rare. It happens maybe 5 times a year. I, myself, hate coupled entries and almost never bet one. On the other hand, I like uncoupled ones. But that's just me.

Offthepace
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Oaklawn,I play Santa Anita,Hollywood and Del Mar and I noticed that this happens from time to time.Bob Baffert has had good success with this move.

ronsmac
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
6 or 7 yrs ago Bob Bafferts longer price actually won at a slightly higher win percentage.