PDA

View Full Version : Musket Man...

joanied
01-29-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/musket-man-to-stand-at-vinery-florida/

I'm gonna miss watching him race...hope he does well in his stallion career...he sure was a fun horse!

lamboguy
01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
we are all going to miss that guy, he was a game animal in all his races.

joanied
01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
As game as they come, lambo...hope he passes that grit onto his offspring!

Market Mover
01-29-2011, 04:08 PM
As game as they come, lambo...hope he passes that grit onto his offspring!

He may serve a very good need in FL, and I think Vinery has him priced competitively at 2.5K.

Damside, he's got For The Moment who chased Seattle Slew in '77 Derby so we know there's some early win/classic potential there. 2nd dam was unraced but threw some durable 30 starts plus runners. I like the "this century's most influential stallion" Northern Dancer through his son Dixieland Band, so there's speed and stamina to boot. The maternal side even traces back to Rosemont, who gave Seabiscuit fits in the Big Cap, sans Red and some peripheral vision problems.

Yonaguska, like Kafwain, During, and other precocious sons of Preakness-placed, BC winning Sprint champ Cherokee Run, was very expensive and very fast in his heyday. Many were surprised that Musket Man was able to put in a run and last the Derby distance. I think these sons of Cherokee Run max out at a mile and a sixteenth/eighth, unless you had that effortless build of The Pamplemousse (Kafwain) who could glide over that synthetic without much exertion. He could have been even better on turf, but sadly we'll never find out.

As a breeder in FL, you could risk a small investment, and get a speedy but durable 6 - 10 furlong offspring, who could probably compete at Tampa, GP, Calder on turf OR dirt. Not bad if you can play around with a little stamina damside...These Cherokee Runs are solid competitors with atheletic builds who win early (War Pass) and have some true grit (no movie puns intended).

appistappis
01-30-2011, 12:07 AM
musket man cost zenyatta her 20 for 20.

classhandicapper
01-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Nice horse. I always liked him even though he didn't move forward this year after getting off to a pretty good start.

Jasonm921
01-30-2011, 08:53 AM
I think he just got tired by years end. One of my favorite horses in the past two years. If I had a filly I would take a chance at 2,500 bucks. If that foal has half the heart that he did you may get some nice returns. If not, you will still probably get a nice looking horse :)

joanied
01-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Market Mover should be hired to market Musket Man's sire career :ThmbUp:
If I had a nice mare that'd nick well with MM...I would not hesitate to breed to him...way nice bloodlines and like I said before...the colt had grit.

Hanover1
01-30-2011, 06:33 PM
I often commented on how honest this horse seemed to me, every start of his career. Would not hesitate to go to him when looking for a value cover.

Sugar Ron
01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
musket man cost zenyatta her 20 for 20.

Not sure about that ... Quality Load obviously deserves some of the credit ... but Musket Man clearly didn't belong in that BC Classic field as he was basically a long-sprinter/middle-distance type.

FenceBored
01-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Truly a class act.

appistappis
01-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Not sure about that ... Quality Load obviously deserves some of the credit ... but Musket Man clearly didn't belong in that BC Classic field as he was basically a long-sprinter/middle-distance type.

nothing against musket man but when zenyatta launched her rail to swing wide move, she had to pause for a split second to allow musket man to go by......this cost her the clear run that she needed. I commented on it at the time it happended and the race caller confirmed it in the chart, not mentioning MM by name.

JustRalph
01-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Great price........ :ThmbUp:

now along with this one........

http://www.signaturestallions.com/images/signaturestallions.com/default1.aspx?contentname=horse&horseid=439&thumbsize=_thumb

Two I would have to take a chance on for 5k for both.

Lambo........ ??

Market Mover
01-31-2011, 02:30 AM
Market Mover should be hired to market Musket Man's sire career :ThmbUp:
If I had a nice mare that'd nick well with MM...I would not hesitate to breed to him...way nice bloodlines and like I said before...the colt had grit.

If I had an Arch or Sunday Silence mare, I'd be there knocking on their door for 2.5k in a heartbeat!

precocity
01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/musket-man-to-stand-at-vinery-florida/

I'm gonna miss watching him race...hope he does well in his stallion career...he sure was a fun horse!
he had heart but hurt me on the betting side? :rolleyes: