PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's 30 for 30

Zippy Chippy
01-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't know where the heck I've been but I've just discovered these shows and they are GREAT!

I've seen the commercials forever but never even dawned on me to watch one. What ones do you guys like?

The Reggie Miller/Knicks and the Vlade/Drazen stories were awesome. Brought back memories of how much I hate Starks and the knicks. I tivo'd the Marcus Dupree one the other night. Can't wait to get home and watch it. I guess you can also watch them all on ESPN.com

sonnyp
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
if u can, watch the one on SMU and their "death penalty" from the NCAA. really a great piece featuring eric dickerson and the "pony express".

remember last year's big controversy at texas tech involving ESPN announcer craig jame's kid that got the coach fired ?if you have any doubt as to whether craig james's kid is a jerk, watch this and you'll see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. craig james was the quarterback at SMU during the days of the pony express.

Bettowin
01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
The SMU show was the best of the ones I saw. I was too young and not close enough to Texas to realize what really happened. Talk about scandal. All the way up to the Governor.

Craig James and Eric Dickerson came in as running backs the same year.

sonnyp
01-28-2011, 10:41 PM
SMU got the death penalty back then and this year, cam newton wins the heisman and auburn the national championship.

college football has come a long way !

slew101
01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I thought the same thing. Not one person on that show took any responsibility for doing anything wrong. James, Dickerson, Meyer, what a bunch of jerks.

I've liked most of the ones I saw. The OJ Simpson one was terrible.

I think one on Cubs fan Bartman is coming up soon.

remember last year's big controversy at texas tech involving ESPN announcer craig jame's kid that got the coach fired ?if you have any doubt as to whether craig james's kid is a jerk, watch this and you'll see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. craig james was the quarterback at SMU during the days of the pony express.

depalma113
01-28-2011, 11:46 PM
The SMU show was the best of the ones I saw. I was too young and not close enough to Texas to realize what really happened. Talk about scandal. All the way up to the Governor.

Craig James and Eric Dickerson came in as running backs the same year.

"The Band that Wouldn't Die" and "The Two Escobars" are the best two of the entire series.

Bettowin
01-29-2011, 12:33 AM
"The Band that Wouldn't Die" and "The Two Escobars" are the best two of the entire series.

Haven't seen either of those yet. Then again, I haven't seen a bad one either. Very well done on ESPN's part. Did you see the Marcus Dupree story? What a comeback to get to the NFL.

cj's dad
01-29-2011, 06:20 AM
The Marcus Dupree piece was great - you'll be glad you recorded it.

Canarsie
01-29-2011, 08:39 AM
My favorite was the Red Sox. But the SMU one was really good. It's easy to forget stuff that happened a long time ago I really enjoyed most of them.

Just think the first program (if I recall correctly) on ESPN when it started was ping pong.

Zippy Chippy
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know if you can watch these online for free? I thought it'd be easy to find. The only one on youtube that shows you the entire episode (in 6 parts) is the Vlade Divac ONce Brothers one.

sonnyp
01-29-2011, 11:11 AM
here's the link to when they're going to be aired on one of the ESPN "FAMILY". looks like you'll need a recording device :

http://30for30.espn.com/schedule.html

PhantomOnTour
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
The Two Escobars was the best imo. Also liked the one about The U of Miami football program, but boy did Bernie Kosar look messed up or what?

sonnyp
01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
The Two Escobars was the best imo. Also liked the one about The U of Miami football program, but boy did Bernie Kosar look messed up or what?

one of my all time favorite moments in sports. kosar raising his index finger in the national camera indicating miami was "numero uno" after putting the canes up on boston college with, basically, no time left in the game.

as fate would have it, doug flutte connects on that "hail mary" to phalen and shows kosar exactly where to stick that index finger.

classic !!!

exactatom
01-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Any idea when the ine in Charismatic will finally air? It has been delayed a few times.

ElKabong
01-30-2011, 02:27 AM
re: Dickerson - James....their freshman yr neither was the best Frosh back at SMU in '79...that was Charles Waggoner. Injuries stopped his career short. He was a beast.

Recruiting all thru the 70s and 80s was crazy, the worst offenders of recruiting rules (cash) was the big 8. Lots of kids I played with or knew gave that opinion.

ElKabong
01-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Imo, that SMU 30 on 30 was woefully incomplete w/o mentioning Waggoner.

re: Waggoner....found this interview....Talk about cash flowing during the 70's, that happened in Tx high schools too....

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/apr/05/disd-legends-charles-waggoner/

RLB: You made a name for yourself at Pinkston. How did you come to being a Carter Cowboy?

CW: I just remember one day my mom said that we were moving into the Carter district.

Zippy Chippy
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Saw the Dupree one today it was awesome. Have any of you saw the Vlade/Petrovic story??? That stuff seems like it could be in a fictional movie, awesome heartwrenching story...

Vlade Divac seems like the best guy ever and he must be heartbroken never being able to mend things w/ Drazen.

dav4463
01-31-2011, 12:36 AM
The one on Marcus Dupree was my favorite. It just showed how grownups act like fools over a talented high school kid. He just wanted to be a "regular guy", but people would not leave him alone. It made you really feel sorry for him.