PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever meet a Bridge Jumper?

Igeteven
01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Today at Santa Anita, a Bridge Jumper bet 100 grand in each of the first 2 races today. Yes the fields where short, and the favorites ran last out of the money.

$200 grand down the drain.

Put up a hundred grand to win five. (Value not there).

Question to all, what type of person or persons would ever play such a ridiculous type of bet like this.

We all know that the first several races at SA are jockey races and they do what they want.

Please inform me.

Thank You.

johnhannibalsmith
01-27-2011, 09:13 PM

$200 grand down the drain...

...Question to all, what type of person or persons would ever play such a ridiculous type of bet like this....

...We all know that the first several races at SA are jockey races and they do what they want..

Come on Lester, you answered your own obvious question. Jocks getting a tax-write off, duh!

Igeteven
01-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Come on Lester, you answered your own obvious question. Jocks getting a tax-write off, duh!

Yes, however, have you ever meet one?

jelly
01-27-2011, 09:25 PM
No boycott no $200,000 grand. :D

johnhannibalsmith
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes, however, have you ever meet one?

Shirley, Hugh, Bea, Joe, Ken, Noah?

nearco
01-27-2011, 09:45 PM
That's nothing, nothing at all compared to this.
2:15 at Warwick today, handicap Chase over two miles. Horse trailing the field badly coming to the turn. Some punter offers the horse at 999/1 on Betfair in-running, thinking he will make a few easy bucks. Another punter matches the bet with £284 ($450). The horse, under a magnificent ride from the great AP McCoy, makes an amazing rally up the rail to get up on the line. The Layer is out almost half a million, all for a measly $450. I bet he is looking for a bridge to jump off of.

You can watch the race here (http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,415678_3,00.html) .

lamboguy
01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
the racetracks need a few more of these guys, they will have an immediate boost in handle.

Market Mover
01-27-2011, 09:59 PM
2:15 at Warwick today, handicap Chase over two miles. Horse trailing the field badly coming to the turn. Some punter offers the horse at 999/1 on Betfair in-running, thinking he will make a few easy bucks. Another punter matches the bet with £284 ($450). The horse, under a magnificent ride from the great AP McCoy, makes an amazing rally up the rail to get up on the line. The Layer is out almost half a million, all for a measly $450. I bet he is looking for a bridge to jump off of.

You can watch the race here (http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,415678_3,00.html) .

Wow, why can't we get this kind of action in the States?

Does Betfair have any guarantees in terms of payment in case the Layer cannot pay out?

nearco
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Does Betfair have any guarantees in terms of payment in case the Layer cannot pay out?

Yes, you can only lay up to the amount you have in your account, so yeah that guy just watched close to half a mill disappear from his account.

nearco
01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Sorry, correction.
It was £284 total in bets that were matched at 999/1. So not all one layer/bettor. Still, any of the layers involved got to have an awful headache tonight. Even if you only layed $25, you're out close to $25,000.

Ian Meyers
01-27-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm not saying I would have liked the winner turning for home but he didn't seem so far out of it to me to be a 999/1 shot in a 6 horse field.

That was just a dumb bet.

Igeteven
01-27-2011, 11:45 PM

I lost that type of money, I would have committed suicide

Stillriledup
01-27-2011, 11:51 PM

But, think of it this way, if you HAD that type of money to begin with, maybe it wouldnt have been a suicidal type of loss. If the guy is a multimillionaire, 25k isnt the end of the world. Its all relative.

Igeteven
01-28-2011, 12:14 AM
But, think of it this way, if you HAD that type of money to begin with, maybe it wouldnt have been a suicidal type of loss. If the guy is a multimillionaire, 25k isnt the end of the world. Its all relative.

You have a very strong point there

johnhannibalsmith
01-28-2011, 12:21 AM
And we'll be back in two and two.

BlueShoe
01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Yesterday was another first ever. Have never seen two consecutive races in which there was a bridge jumper and which both lost. Was at OTB and happened to have the pool board channel on my terminal and saw the bets come in. Myself, and several others in the room, just shook our heads in wonderment. A couple of guys took a shot and made show bets against the chalks and were handsomely rewarded. Me, just sat there and passed both races, was focusing on races elsewhere.

Robert Goren
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I think there used to be one who posted here. I don't recall his handle. Help?

Igeteven
01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Yesterday was another first ever. Have never seen two consecutive races in which there was a bridge jumper and which both lost. Was at OTB and happened to have the pool board channel on my terminal and saw the bets come in. Myself, and several others in the room, just shook our heads in wonderment. A couple of guys took a shot and made show bets against the chalks and were handsomely rewarded. Me, just sat there and passed both races, was focusing on races elsewhere.

They can't ever make it up, and I am still wondering who they are.

Phantombridgejumpe
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
it isn't a crazy bet.

When some tracks had to pay a minimum of $2.20 on a $2 play it was often an excellent bet.

People deposit money into technically illegal offshore betting accounts every day with no protection at all. They could wake up the next day and the company could be out of business, who would you call, the cops?

If you get 1% interest at a bank you have to wait nearly 5 years to get 5% on your money, and the way the economy is going do you think you have a 100% chance of it being there in 5 years?

So, is betting $100K or something like that on a 1/9 shot to come in the top 3 and make 5% in 90 seconds or so really as dumb as it may look? Obviously it didn't work out for the 1 or 2 people that tried it yesterday, but this makes news because it usually works out just fine and you don't hear about it; we only hear about the man bites dog cases.

showbet
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
So, is betting $100K or something like that on a 1/9 shot to come in the top 3 and make 5% in 90 seconds or so really as dumb as it may look?
With a minimum payoff of $2.20 you need to hit 10 out of 11 of these wagers just to break even. When the minimum payoff is $2.10, as it is in all but a few places, you have to hit 20 out of 21 bets just to break even.

To me, this is a dumb bet. I'd be very surprised if anyone can make money doing this over the long haul (say 100+ of these wagers).

macguy
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Wondering where they place these bets, if the horse came in, you'd be getting the 2.10 or 2.20 PLUS any rebates that may be offered...

I also wondered where these people placed their bets from, must be with an online ADW or something, I would find it hard to believe they would head to the track with a brief case and $100k cash.

lamboguy
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
With a minimum payoff of $2.20 you need to hit 10 out of 11 of these wagers just to break even. When the minimum payoff is $2.10, as it is in all but a few places, you have to hit 20 out of 21 bets just to break even.

To me, this is a dumb bet. I'd be very surprised if anyone can make money doing this over the long haul (say 100+ of these wagers).its not a dumb bet, just alot of dumb people doing it these days that belong in insane asylums. the guy that did it yesterday did not hedge, he blew all the money. he was betting the bridgejump horse early, guys sit around waiting to bet against them

Phantombridgejumpe
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
beat up in the parking lot at Garden State Park doing this...

He did it 3-4 weeks in a row on the same harness horse...Call For Rain maybe?

InTheRiver68
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Yesterday was another first ever. Have never seen two consecutive races in which there was a bridge jumper and which both lost. ... A couple of guys took a shot and made show bets against the chalks and were handsomely rewarded.
Paid off handsomely for me! $180 in the first race returned $2,198, and $200 in the second race returned $742.

I have never seen two back-to-back heavily-bet odds-on favorites run out of the money.

And I actually missed a third one! The first GG race of the day was a four-horse field (no show wagering). The 3/5 favorite had some $37,000 wagered on him to place, and he ran last. Place prices were $18.80 and $19.60.

- InTheRiver68

Igeteven
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Some Bridgejumpers are people who are desperate to do it all, some steal money from their company with intentions to pay it back after the race, some try to impress people that they know all, some do it for a last bet.

No one who plays the horses and attends the horse racing on a regular basis would ever place a bet like this and especially at Santa Anita who is one of the biggest tracks around to do some thing like this and take all of your money.

It's nothing but stealing ones money. If one look at those horses yesterday, both were stand outs, If a chimpanzees was on the back of the horses, they would have won by day lite.

Time after Time I have seen this, I only wish I could have played yesterday, because I would have cashed in on this.

Those jockeys at SA are the biggest crooks around when it comes to this type of bet. As I always say, bet it and they will take it.

InTheRiver68
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
he was betting the bridgejump horse early, guys sit around waiting to bet against them
I saw that in the second race, not the first. In the first, I only jumped in after seeing $10k on the favorite with less than 2 MTP, and expecting more. I believe the prices reflected the fact that the big lump came in with less than a minute to post.

In the second race, there was over $60k sitting in the pools with some ten MTP. Bet-againsters seeing that started loading up on the other interests, which lowered the prices.

- InTheRiver68

Steve 'StatMan'
01-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Maybe this is why many of us haven't met any. :rolleyes:

BlueShoe
01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
For many years have used an analogy that rather fits when analyzing the practice of bridgejumping. Bridgejumping is like walking a tightrope without using a safety net. You may be successful for what seems like indefinitely, but eventually you will fall, and when you do, you are out of business permanently.

takeout
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
No boycott no $200,000 grand. :D

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Wondering where they place these bets, if the horse came in, you'd be getting the 2.10 or 2.20 PLUS any rebates that may be offered...

I also wondered where these people placed their bets from, must be with an online ADW or something, I would find it hard to believe they would head to the track with a brief case and $100k cash.

There's no rebates on minus show bets....at least none that i'm aware of.

Stillriledup
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
it isn't a crazy bet.

When some tracks had to pay a minimum of $2.20 on a $2 play it was often an excellent bet.

People deposit money into technically illegal offshore betting accounts every day with no protection at all. They could wake up the next day and the company could be out of business, who would you call, the cops?

If you get 1% interest at a bank you have to wait nearly 5 years to get 5% on your money, and the way the economy is going do you think you have a 100% chance of it being there in 5 years?

So, is betting $100K or something like that on a 1/9 shot to come in the top 3 and make 5% in 90 seconds or so really as dumb as it may look? Obviously it didn't work out for the 1 or 2 people that tried it yesterday, but this makes news because it usually works out just fine and you don't hear about it; we only hear about the man bites dog cases.

Here's the thing.

If you're betting show on a horse who is NOT 1-9, than its a bad bet. I believe that the horses yesterday were like 3-5 shots. Ridiculously bad bet by the jumper.

Here are a few rules of thumb that you MUST adhere to when making a large show bet.

1) Make sure that the horse you are playing to show has shown some 'fighting power' in his PP lines. Some horses will have 1 or 2 brilliant lifetime wins swelling up on the front end, but havent ever shown what they can do in a dogfight. You want your show bet horse to be able to fight when he's passed in the stretch.

2) Make sure your horse has been treated with lasix. I remember a person who jumped on a Mark Hennig horse about 20 years ago at Gulfstream that had no lasix, it was a young horse who looked great on paper. Hennig was interviewed in the form the next day and was asked about the bridgejumper and he said something like he would never recommend betting a lot of show money on a horse with no lasix. (and it was his own runner!)

3) Stay away from deep closers.....you want to try and make sure your horse is never out of the top 3 in the running at any point in the race.

4) The track needs to be fast and or the turf needs to be firm.

5) I would recommend staying away from a horse ridden by a jock who has a reputation of not perservering when beaten. We all know the usual suspects.

6) try and wait for coupled entries where both halves are strong. I know this doesnt happen too often, but you have to wait on bets like this, you cant force it.

7) I feel that betting show in REALLY bad races is the way to go. If you're making a show bet on a stakes horse, you're really putting yourself in a position for that stakes horse to have to race really well. If he doesnt bring is A game, you could lose....and you could lose because his competition is actually good in real life. But, if you bet on a 3k maiden claimer at a very low rung track, sometimes you can get a 5 horse field where 2 of the horses havent ever cracked ZERO in the Beyer fig dept. You have only 3 'breathing bodies'. THESE are great show bet opportunities......you want your competition to be futile.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Also, here's one thing that would make show bets like this be a bad bet. The thing that would make it a bad bet is if the person doing it didnt have tremendous mental strength to only make one or two of these bets per year. There's a tendency in some humans to think about 'free money'. If you pluck down 100k and win 5k in 90 seconds or less, there's a tendency to say "hey, that was fun, and it was free, let me seek out the next 'sure thing' and plop down my 105......you dont get free money too often in life!!"

You have to treat that like a business and you cant get the 'free money' thing in your head because while the one bet you are making might actually feel like free money, you need to make sure you are not 'chasing' these show bets.

toussaud
01-28-2011, 02:44 PM

this actually pisses me off for some reason we can't do this.

That second bet took the cake. never take a horse that keeps hanging more than once to show at the same level which is what he did.

Coleman
01-28-2011, 03:38 PM
6) try and wait for coupled entries where both halves are strong. I know this doesnt happen too often, but you have to wait on bets like this, you cant force it.

I once was watching a MSW with a 1-9 entry in a 5-entry field--one that had the looks of a field crusher, and 1 first time starter without much attraction. The entry had something like 80,000 of 82,000 in the show pool, and the stronger half of the entry was a gate scratch. I think maybe 20,000 or so disappeared from the pool before the race went off, but the rest got stuck.

The first timer actually ended up in 3rd, so all was well, but there must have been some high blood pressure during the race...

So yes, much better if both halve are strong!

aggieshawn
01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Rule 1
Bet Zenyatta

There is 20 for 20 for you.

Coleman
01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
it isn't a crazy bet.

They still do at least at Charles Town, Mountaineer, Suffolk Downs, and Prairie Meadows, so those are good places to see folk congregating around the bridges. I believe it is a state-by-state thing, and for some reason West Virginia, Massachusetts, and Iowa like tempting minus pools.

Zippy Chippy
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
The stupidest thing about the Santa Anita bridgejumper yesterday is that they weren't even HUGE favorites. 1-1 and 3-5?? They could easily finish Out of the Money. Usually you see this with 1/5 shots.

Market Mover
01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
The stupidest thing about the Santa Anita bridgejumper yesterday is that they weren't even HUGE favorites. 1-1 and 3-5?? They could easily finish Out of the Money. Usually you see this with 1/5 shots.

He started with a large show bet at Golden Gate. When that chalk finished off the board, he then went into full effect, losing 100K over the next 45 minutes...twice!

Watch out for short fields over the next few days. He may strike again...IF he's got any cash left...

Stillriledup
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
He started with a large show bet at Golden Gate. When that chalk finished off the board, he then went into full effect, losing 100K over the next 45 minutes...twice!

Watch out for short fields over the next few days. He may strike again...IF he's got any cash left...

Do we have proof this is the same person?

Coleman
01-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Yeah, it can actually make sense with a 1-9 horse. Why place win or place bets when the payoffs are going to be 2.20 2.10 2.10? Might as well go all in for show if you are going to bet at all.

lamboguy
01-28-2011, 06:54 PM
i once bet $20k to show on a horse that went off at 1-5 and paid $8.80 to show in prarie meadows in the mid 90's in a steak race. as it turned out someone bet $100k on another horse that blew up.

i had waited for 2 months for this race to come up and was only looking for the 2.20 and the rebate that i was getting at rockinham park those days. it happened on july 3rd. the horse i bet ran second. in a 6 horse field. there are so many story's in this game and not all of them turned out bad.

Stillriledup
01-28-2011, 07:01 PM
i once bet $20k to show on a horse that went off at 1-5 and paid $8.80 to show in prarie meadows in the mid 90's in a steak race. as it turned out someone bet $100k on another horse that blew up.

i had waited for 2 months for this race to come up and was only looking for the 2.20 and the rebate that i was getting at rockinham park those days. it happened on july 3rd. the horse i bet ran second. in a 6 horse field. there are so many story's in this game and not all of them turned out bad.

That's awesome.

I bet you were on cloud 9, 88 grand!

Coleman
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM

The strangest result I've had lately was in December, just fooling around, I put a 2.00 WP bet on a longshot at Rideau harness, and it came in, paying 60.70, 19.80 and...nothing(!). Yep, NO money on the horse in the show pool, not even a measly 2.00. Never have seen that before or since.

Mineshaft
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
do we know where the bets were placed?

johnhannibalsmith
01-28-2011, 08:07 PM
... in a steak race...

For colts or filets?

Sorry Lambo... I tried to resist being corny...

lamboguy
01-28-2011, 08:18 PM
For colts or filets?

Sorry Lambo... I tried to resist being corny...
i am a bad spella!

johnhannibalsmith
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
i am a bad spella!

I thought it was awesome. :cool:

GatetoWire
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM
They still do at least at Charles Town, Mountaineer, Suffolk Downs, and Prairie Meadows, so those are good places to see folk congregating around the bridges. I believe it is a state-by-state thing, and for some reason West Virginia, Massachusetts, and Iowa like tempting minus pools.

I saw a a double bridge jumper lose at CT back in Aug.

It was a West Virginia bred stake and 200K was in the show pool on Russell Road who ended up 6th after challenging for the lead heading into the last turn.

I was watching the tote and I am pretty sure it was 2 separate jumpers.

I have always believed that bridgejumping was a way to launder drug money or other found money.

showbet
01-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I think there used to be one who posted here. I don't recall his handle. Help?
lamboguy, maybe?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=722968&postcount=149

Igeteven
01-28-2011, 10:00 PM
How about lauding money, turning bad money it to good money?

Robert Goren
01-28-2011, 10:24 PM
lamboguy, maybe?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=722968&postcount=149 No, not Lamboguy. He was around for a while in 2007 when I first started. I think he was a old poster who had been gone for a while maybe playing poker. He doesn't post here very often anymore. I think he may be into the stock market or currency trading or something like that now. Or maybe I have him mixed up with someone else. I have never been good at names. It is so frustrating.

johnhannibalsmith
01-28-2011, 11:20 PM
... I have never been good at names. It is so frustrating.

Don't feel bad. I can remember the name of what feels like every horse I've watched run, particularly the least significant ones. I can remember who rode them, the trip, what they looked like before, after, three weeks earlier...

But introduce me to Paul and have him shake my hand and talk to me for thirty minutes and before he leaves I'm in a panic trying to remember his name so I can express just how wonderful it was to meet - you - pal.

BlueShoe
01-29-2011, 12:15 AM
If it was the same guy that went 0 for 3 betting the same amount, that means that he only has to hit the next 60 in a row to break even.:faint:

takeout
01-29-2011, 10:23 AM
If so, my theory is that karma bit him for not boycotting. ;)

depalma113
01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Rule 1
Bet Zenyatta

There is 20 for 20 for you.

Well not quite since there were several races that they didn't accept show wagering when she ran.

teddy
02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I saw a a double bridge jumper lose at CT back in Aug.

It was a West Virginia bred stake and 200K was in the show pool on Russell Road who ended up 6th after challenging for the lead heading into the last turn.

I was watching the tote and I am pretty sure it was 2 separate jumpers.

I have always believed that bridgejumping was a way to launder drug money or other found money.

CHARLESTOWN IS THE BLOW UP CAPITAL OF CHALK... MORE EARLY AND BRIDGEJUMPS THERE GO DOWN THE DRAIN THAN ANYWHERE

nearco
02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Was talking to a fella that lost a five figure sum on an in-running bet on a soccer match on Saturday. Arsenal were 3-0 up against Newcastle after 11 minutes, and he lumped on Arsenal to win at 1/100. Game ended 4-4 after an amazing comeback from the Geordies.
Ouch!!!
Claims he's still in profit making these kinds of bets and this was the first 1/100 bet he's lost in almost four years.

Stillriledup
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
OH THESE SNEAKY SHOW BETTORS!

I was monitoring the show pool on the 8th at Laurel, but i didnt think there would be a 'big show bet' on Oratoria, after all, she had a low percentage jockey (.07 pct wins in 2010), she was first time two turns and she was going up in class from claimer to allowance.

But, at the last possible moment, someone stuck 20k on her to show. She made a big move and survived for 3rd as the 3-5 favorite.

Why would you bet THIS horse to show?

The guy got very lucky to cash, if anyone of the others 'ran on' she's beat for 3rd.

castaway01
02-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's the key boys and girls...if you see a showjumper coming, duck. Or bet...eventually you will find one who screws up.

Stillriledup
02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
KABOOM at Fair Grounds in Race 4!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: