PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta booked to Bernardini

FantasticDan
01-26-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60987/its-a-date-zenyatta-booked-to-bernardini

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/truenicks/archive/2011/01/26/zenyatta-to-bernardini.aspx

toussaud
01-26-2011, 02:26 PM
not crazy about the mating honestly.

Cardus
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
This pairing was made to suit Trevor Denman, no doubt.

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Bernardini is 16 hands, so he's a big, studly stallion for sure. I think they are looking for big babies, whether they are colts or fillies. Bernardini wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm sure Jerry, Ann, and John have put a lot of thought into this. I kind of pictured Curlin to be honest as the perfect match-up. That's what I get for thinking:)

OTM Al
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Didn't he finish 2nd as the favorite in his last too?

Bettowin
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Didn't he finish 2nd as the favorite in his last too?

Breeder's Cup Classic to Invasor?

PhantomOnTour
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Bernardini...you lucky guy you.

Go ahead ya'll, name the baby......

JustRalph
01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
ZenyaDini !!

Bernazini !

Zenbernatta!!

PhantomOnTour
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Yattadini !

johnhannibalsmith
01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
zucchini

toussaud
01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Zamboni

PhantomOnTour
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
zucchini
Yes!
How about Zenbern

pandy
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Even though Bernardini is a big horse himself, I'd love to be able to hear his thoughts when he first gets a glimpse at the monstrous Zenyatta. Probably something like, "Holy Cow that's a big broad, I could get hurt."

TJDave
01-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Even though Bernardini is a big horse himself, I'd love to be able to hear his thoughts when he first gets a glimpse at the monstrous Zenyatta. Probably something like, "Holy Cow that's a big broad, I could get hurt."

It's not like she's gonna be on top.

JustRalph
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM

It will be worth the climb............

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm hoping for a girl. How about QueenDini:) :lol:

Alacrity
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
TVG will probably be there with the cameras to watch everything unfold.

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
That's just gross, and something I don't need to see.

joanied
01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Names...someone said Queendini...how 'bout Queenydini :D ...just bein' funny because some of the names here are hilarious...but the Moss's won't worry about incorporating his name into it...they'll find another cool name, but maybe not from Police albums!!

I do think it's a good choice...her nicking with AP Indy is an A++, so his son has to be the same rating, and for future breedings, especially if Zen has a filly, Quiet American is awful nice to have as a broodmare sire (from Bernandini)...and Bernardini has speed...I like the choice.

They may have to put her hind end in a hole or build a mound for him...when I was breeding my mares live cover (I switched to AI after a few years), they were all big TB mares, bred to smaller QH stallions so we'd do one of the above and the covers always went perfect that way. A little ingenuity:ThmbUp:

Againstallodds...why would you have a problem seing her, or any mare, get bred...why do you think it's gross? Just wondering. It certainly isn't gross:)

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Joanied, the breeding is not the problem, TVG filming it is. I've seen many horses breed, but I have this image in my head of Matt Carruthers behind the TVG camera giving us his "unintelligent and skewed" views on the whole process. I also helped my daughter's filly come into this world, and it was a wonderful experience, just not one I would want TVG filming to make money off it.

Now, QueenDini is perfect for a filly, because Bernie would know who rules the roost, and that would be the Queen.

As for Bernardini and Zenyatta...they are both about 16 hands, so I'm not sure where the problem comes in here. What am I missing?

Grits
01-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd rather them name her first foal,

Blame It On The Queen

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 08:19 PM
This is why I don't see the breeding as a problem.

In addition to the obvious genetic qualities that Bernardini brings to Zenyatta, it should be noted that he is also a beautifully balanced individual of good size (listed as 16.1-1/2 hands tall). Zenyatta reportedly stands 17.2 Their foal will probably be a dark bay, like its parents, and will have the birthright to be a very good racehorse, indeed.

That little bit of difference in height is not going to make a difference in the breeding shed.

Ted Craven
01-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Bernyatta.

joanied
01-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Joanied, the breeding is not the problem, TVG filming it is. I've seen many horses breed, but I have this image in my head of Matt Carruthers behind the TVG camera giving us his "unintelligent and skewed" views on the whole process. I also helped my daughter's filly come into this world, and it was a wonderful experience, just not one I would want TVG filming to make money off it.

Now, QueenDini is perfect for a filly, because Bernie would know who rules the roost, and that would be the Queen.

As for Bernardini and Zenyatta...they are both about 16 hands, so I'm not sure where the problem comes in here. What am I missing?

AH...well then, okie-dokie:) ...I've addressed breeding in the past to folks that actually thought it was a horrible thing to put a mare through:bang: ...so pardon my jumping to the wrong conclusion...

I agree about the TVG crew...but I think we all know they won't have any TV crews in the breeding shed...not even for Zenyatta.
BUT...I do hope they put a barn camera in her stall when she drops that foal...
for me, a mare giving birth (as long as it goes well) is magical, emotional and beautiful...I've brought so many foals into this world and never took it for granted and always it touched my heart. That first nicker between the mare and her foal...it don't get better than that!

by the way...Bernardini is 16.1 to her 17.2...and of course, you have to take into consideration the size of the other horses within the first few generations...I expect it will be a good sized baby, though.

MPRanger
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
But I didn't know until this day that it was Bernardini all along.

joanied
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
This is why I don't see the breeding as a problem.

In addition to the obvious genetic qualities that Bernardini brings to Zenyatta, it should be noted that he is also a beautifully balanced individual of good size (listed as 16.1-1/2 hands tall). Zenyatta reportedly stands 17.2 Their foal will probably be a dark bay, like its parents, and will have the birthright to be a very good racehorse, indeed.

That little bit of difference in height is not going to make a difference in the breeding shed.

OOPPSS....didn't see this :blush: post before I mentioned the size of both. No, it shouldn't pose a problem...he'll have to get on his toes a bit, but the job will get done:D

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 09:02 PM
No problem, Joanied. I think there is nothing more beautiful than to watch a horse being her foal into the world. I feel the same way about babies to be honest. It's a breathtaking experience. Hey, babies and foals have to get here somehow. I'm thinking our Queen is going to enjoy the breeding part, and I hope the birth goes smoothly, because I think it will be a big baby for sure. Here's to the Queen and happy, healthy, profitable babies.

Nets
01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Mondatta

098poi
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Dead Last

nijinski
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
and I had my favorite names picked out Zen D'Oro and Medagliatta .
My hunch was wromg.

trackrat59
01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm hoping for a girl. How about QueenDini:) :lol:

Love it. :ThmbUp:

pandy
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM
As much as I like Zenyatta, it always seems like the most famous horses disappoint in the breeding shed. Hopefully that won't be the case, but my guess is she won't be a great broodmare.

AgainstAllOdds
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
As much as I like Zenyatta, it always seems like the most famous horses disappoint in the breeding shed. Hopefully that won't be the case, but my guess is she won't be a great broodmare.

Although I understand what you are saying, I hope Zenyatta's offspring prove you wrong.

HuggingTheRail
01-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Well, if you want to include Daddy in the name, and Mommy's main characteristic, then the name should be Bern From Behind

FantasticDan
01-27-2011, 12:00 AM
But I didn't know until this day that it was Bernardini all along. :D :ThmbUp:

Investorater
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Will there ever be a BLAME/ZENYATTA meeting?

I'm looking forward to a BLAMATTA.

nijinski
01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I have to wonder if Jerry and Ann are actually going to do their
routine naming patterns , which consists of anything music or musician related.
Especially Sting and Herb Albert and their families. They've had good success
with them.

OTM Al
01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Retiredattwo

Tom
01-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Will there ever be a BLAME/ZENYATTA meeting?

I'm looking forward to a BLAMATTA.

or Yattablame!

If they do mate, I hope she isn't still behind him!

precocity
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
ZENDANCEINI :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
The Green Monkey!!!! Wait.....

joanied
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
No problem, Joanied. I think there is nothing more beautiful than to watch a horse being her foal into the world. I feel the same way about babies to be honest. It's a breathtaking experience. Hey, babies and foals have to get here somehow. I'm thinking our Queen is going to enjoy the breeding part, and I hope the birth goes smoothly, because I think it will be a big baby for sure. Here's to the Queen and happy, healthy, profitable babies.

:D I don't think she'll get upset either...or try kicking him...we know sometimes those maiden mares can be a little less than co operative!!
I wonder what type breeder Bernardini is...quiet and for lack of better word, 'gentle', or one of those 'screamers' that come in like gangbusters, one that 'woes' his mares or just gets up there to get 'er done :D ...

anyway, I would think everyone is wishing her a settle on the first cover, a normal pregnancy and a normal birth...gonna be a long 3 yrs or so before we know what kind of broomare she'll make:faint: ...I'm betting she'll be as good as Miesque and Personal Ensign!!

Tom
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Unbeeleevable

eastie
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
But I didn't know until this day that it was Bernardini all along.

thanks for the laugh.

I believe in America

FantasticDan
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Decision process discussed:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/61009/choosing--zenyattas-first-mating

joanied
01-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Makes perfect sense to me...everyone that knows anything about breeding would know they didn't take this lightly and did their homework...I like this match.

chickenhead
01-27-2011, 11:14 PM
one moved too soon in the Classic, the other moved too late...

I'd call the kid

Perfect Timing

and hope for the best.

thaskalos
01-28-2011, 01:54 AM
But I didn't know until this day that it was Bernardini all along.Hey...that's MY line...

MPRanger
01-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Hey...that's MY line...

Sorry thaskalos . It was there. I had to use it. Ha!

Pine Tree Lane
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Blamevasor