PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting software

tanix
01-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm looking for serious, database-oriented software that will assist my handicapping efforts specifically for exactas. I really like the looks of Jcapper, but everything I've read leads me to believe that its outstanding historical analysis features cannot be used to analyze exacta wagers.

It goes without saying that the ability to use either HDW data or Equibase/Trackmaster data would be a serious plus since those are both available via a subscription.

The ability to access the database using something like Access would be great, particularly if the data is stored relationally and not just as a flat file.

Any suggestions?

Jeff P
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm looking for serious, database-oriented software that will assist my handicapping efforts specifically for exactas. I really like the looks of Jcapper, but everything I've read leads me to believe that its outstanding historical analysis features cannot be used to analyze exacta wagers.

It goes without saying that the ability to use either HDW data or Equibase/Trackmaster data would be a serious plus since those are both available via a subscription.

The ability to access the database using something like Access would be great, particularly if the data is stored relationally and not just as a flat file.

Any suggestions?

JCapper's Data Window can and does enable the user to analyze exacta wagers. Any Data Window query can be "broken out" by over 100 different options, including:

1. Exacta Matrix by UPR Rank - displays exacta matrix for the top 8 horses, field ranked by UPR

2. Exacta Matrix by Odds Rank - displays exacta matrix for the top 8 horses, field ranked by post time odds

Link to (partial) screenshot with Exacta Matrix by UPR Rank selected by the user:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/avatars/datawindowexacta1.jpg

The abvove screenshot shows JCapper's Data Window in SQL Mode where HDW data is being pulled from a table in an Access database. I publish a table schema so that users can import table data into their own 3rd party apps such as Access or Excel.

I've also been quietly working on adding capability to analyze trifectas... which should be ready sometime within the next 30 days.

-jp

traveler
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
I use HSH by Dave Schwartz. It uses the HDW data. It has the ability to analyze data within the program itself and you can export factors via .csv for further analysis. I'd suggest speaking with Dave and see if it will do what you are looking for. Good Luck

raybo
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
AllDataBase allows the user to filter on win, place or show, which gives you the ability to get picks for all 3 spots, then you could combine the 3 picks into an exacta. It's free and uses Bris $1 or $3 data files.

tanix
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
JCapper's Data Window can and does enable the user to analyze exacta wagers. Any Data Window query can be "broken out" by over 100 different options, including:

1. Exacta Matrix by UPR Rank - displays exacta matrix for the top 8 horses, field ranked by UPR

2. Exacta Matrix by Odds Rank - displays exacta matrix for the top 8 horses, field ranked by post time odds

So will that allow me to build exacta-specific UDMs and test their viability against the database and track ROI? If so, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I was under the impression that the majority of features in Jcapper were single-horse oriented.

Jeff P
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
So will that allow me to build exacta-specific UDMs and test their viability against the database and track ROI? If so, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I was under the impression that the majority of features in Jcapper were single-horse oriented.

Yes. That will enable you to build exacta specific UDMs and test their viability against the database and track UDM performance in terms of exacta roi in addition to WPS.

I have found that with UDMs designed to exploit exacta pools, it pays to not only include horse level criteria in the UDM - but that it is vitally important to include race level criteria as well. I have found it worthwhile to analyze performance of exacta UDMs with the data "broken out" by track as well.

-jp

ArlJim78
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
I've also been quietly working on adding capability to analyze trifectas... which should be ready sometime within the next 30 days.

Boy this is good news, I've been quietly hoping for this feature. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

andicap
01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd also look into HTR which has automatic exports to Access, a very easy to use interface and lots of other fine features along with excellent customer service from owner/programmer Ken Massa who is always working on upgrading the program. Software is free -- you pay just for the HDW subscription.

HTR2.com.

I am just a long-time user, no financial interest in the software.

Dave Schwartz
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Small commercial message: HSH has a similar feature in "Studies" that allow you to look at how your strategies would do in exacta and trifectas as well.

JustRalph
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
It's amazing how far these developers have come.

You guys should be proud of your products. Speaking broadly, Ten years ago these apps/programs did 10% of what they do now.

harntrox
01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
a $2 exacta box Bet simulation report on Santa Anita by some program i know about ....

(see image atttached)