PDA

View Full Version : All-in-One?

jackad
10-10-2003, 11:03 AM
A number of contributors have in the past commented very favorably on the All-Ways program in this forum, but to my way of thinking the costs of data download for this program are prohibitive.

But how about the All-in-One program? Would any users of this program share their experiences with this software? What aspects of the program do you find particularly useful or not useful?
Thanks.
Jack

kitts
10-10-2003, 07:08 PM
All-In-One

It was the first "real" software I had ever tried. I bought it as 5-in-1 way back in like 1989 from my mentor and the man who helped me become a winning player, Dick Mitchell. As some of you know, I subsequently worked for Cynthia Publishing for 3 years and HDW for 3 more, and have been a player for over 40 years. I know my way around. A while back, I decided to go on a quest for "miracle software" and spent over the last two years and mucho bucks to try out a whole bunch of them. Some of you might recall a continuing theme in my posts on software to the effect that the program needs to "fit" the handicapper. After all that time, research and experimenation I find myslelf right back with All-In-One, the suceessor to 5-in-1. It fits me. I am a contender and paceline (often aggressive) longshot player and I like what this program does for me. My handicapping process is Form & Condition (contender selection), Angles (which I don't use as much as I used to), Ability (which the software measures) and Value (which is a reflection of the software Fair Odds.) I find that All-In-One sets up a projected race for me better than any other. The program puts each race in a category (Double Advantage, Orderly, Semi-orderly and Chaos)and gives the "PCP" for each race based on its models. The PCP Pace Contention Point advises the user that the models recommend you pay attention to horses within x lengths at the second call. It utilizes Ability Time. It provides a Speed/Pace Summary which shows, among other things, projected fractions at each call. It also has a graph of this information available. And it also offers Handicapping Factors. I don't use this feature (other than the basic Power Rating) but others do. It basically ranks some 16-18 factors as to how they are doing at this track, sometimes pointing to a standout. If the user wishes, he can download race results which the program uses to build the Handicapping Factors. It also has Manual Entry-just enter the normal stuff and let the included Par Times go to work and you still get a decent output with no download cost. It is a very versatile program indeed. And it has what I consider a super Owner's Manual of over 300 pages. The user can get as involved as their needs and desires indicate. It has certainly stood the test of time with me. And, it fits.

http://www.cyhthiapublishing.com

jackad
10-11-2003, 01:18 PM
kitts,
Thanks for the very informative response. I'm not a longshot player, so I don't know if the program will fit me.
Do you have any feel for:
-The success of the program's top picks:
-whether overlays or not; if in a "double advantage" or "orderly" race or not

Thanks again.

ANYONE ELSE WITH FEEDBACK?

Jack

JimL
10-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Kitts, an excellent report on All In One. I am curious as to why you dont use the handicapping factors? I am curious because I dont use them either. My reason for not using them is that I am not much of a believer in long or short term trends and I do not want my odds line skewed by them. I believe the outcome of a race is a result of the makeup of the race JimL

Lefty
10-13-2003, 12:14 PM
JimL and Kitts, as I understand it the oddsline can be made 1 of 2 ways, model(handicapping factors?)or the Pars. Jiml I take it you let the oddsline be set by the pars. Kitts, you too? Or maybe I am mistaken. Could you clear it up for me?

kitts
10-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Lots of good questions. I don't often get a chance to use the top horse since, even if it is an overlay, there are often juicier ones below. However, fair odds on the top horse are more useful than in the earlier versions of the software-fair odds were seldom below 5/2. On my own I have noticed a nice success rate lately in the top horse, and sometimes paying well. The "double advantage" is, of course, based on the paceline. I tend to be aggressive on pacelines on longshots so I also want at least a 10 point advantage in the Power Rating AND domination of the speed/pace graph, especially at the final call. I do not use Handicapping Factors since they skew the fair odds, as mentioned by others. I set the option of Models or Pars to Models and try to keep the program based on just that output. The previously mentioned Power Rating is more effective without evaluating Handicapping Factors, in my humble opinion.

kitts
10-13-2003, 03:13 PM
To avoid confusion let me clarify one thing. In my previous post I mention setting the option of Pars or Models-the Models I refer to there are the track models(profiles)and not the Handicapping (Factor) Models.

Lefty
10-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Kitts, i've had ALLINONE V5 a long time but haven't used it much. A while back I bght just the manual forb Netcapper. These 2 prgms look eerily similar except Netcapper doesn't use pars and that would seem to be a saving of $100 a yr.
Is there a reason you chose ALLINONE over Netcapper?
Not trying to put you on the spot and maybe i've done that so if you choose not to answer here I would appreciate a PM or e-mail.

jackad
10-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Lefty,
Why have you not used All-in-One much? What do you find wrong with it?
Thanks.
Jack

Lefty
10-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Jack, didn't find anything wrong with it. I just have the terrible curiosity of wanting to look at everything that piques my imagination and interest and consequently some of the prgms I buy just don't get that much of my attention. I really think it's one of the better prgms out there.

jackad
10-16-2003, 01:40 PM
kitts,
I'm confused and curious.
I thought you described yourself as a longshot player, yet you say you look for selections with a 10+ Power rating and dominance on the speed-pace graphs. Do you find many of these selections that are longshots?
Jack

kitts
10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
jackad-

I am a longshot player so I sometimes like to pick a nice line for a longshot. Now, a 20/1 horse is unlikely to run to a good line so I want to be convinced that if he does he will dominate. I am not adverse to discover that even the good line does not help. I have been known to bet on a favorite <g>

Shacopate
11-01-2003, 01:15 PM
How much does the HPD data cost?

Interested, since it's the only data that works with the program.

Lefty
11-01-2003, 01:31 PM
shac, HDW data price varies prg to prgm but for ALLINONE $100mo.

kitts
11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
shac-

All-In-One does allow for manual entry of data.

Speed Figure
11-01-2003, 06:32 PM
They also charge $50 per month for 10 downloads.

Pace Cap'n
11-02-2003, 12:35 PM
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762407173&category=429

numbercruncher
11-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Looks like he started a trend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2763910976&category=429&rd=1

Perhaps this board needs a "for sale" section?

Pace Cap'n
11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762407173&category=429

Sold for $373.95.

jackad
11-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Version Six has been under development for some time now. Does anyone know when it's due to become available?

Maybe that's why some have begun to sell off their V5s.

navrah
11-10-2003, 03:59 PM
To Jackad

I can't count how many people I've run into over the last 2 or 3 yrs who mention that A5 is going to be updated. These subscribers "evidentally" were told it's going to be done soon.

By reading this post it pretty clear this still isn't done? I'm a former user going back maybe 5 yrs ago and stopped using as my needs changed. Even back then they said it was going to happen soon.

Whether the delays are intentional or not I have no idea?
Many software developer have faced legitamate delays and this may just be another?

I'm skeptical though in the respect that since Cynthia Publishing has gone through their own inner turmoil if it's being done at all. IT VERY WELL REALLY REALLY might be? I don't know. I'm just raising the question.

But speaking from my experience you may want to be cautious? I spoke to Kitts yrs ago on the phone when he was at HDW in Vegas (now way he wouldn't remember me from Adam). What I do remember about Kitts was he stood out. I mean...he was genuinely nice standup guy! His posts on this site clearly support that. To cut the chase...his opinion on this is potentially important to those considering investing $'s into something that's potentially non-evolving (but again I don't know if it is or isn't). Does Kitts have any inside track or knowledge for those who are going to invest countless hours and dollars with A5?

We're all a little biased with the software program that we're using. I got the perception Kitts was pretty satisfied with A5. I've never been happy with ANY of my software. There's always something I like and others I don't like. I just find the one that fits me the closest with - getting the good with the bad.

Maybe it's not even important that A5 be Windows based? I've never used Gordon Pines Netcapper, I haven't spoken to Gordon in years (since he's left Cynpub) , I may never use Gordon's software....but from an outsiders perspective it sure looks like the Windows Version of A5. Most importantly it's evolving (which again A5 MIGHT be?) with some neat new features. I do remember when Gordon was with Cynpub he was always looking for suggestions and TRIED to implement them when he was able. I assume he runs his company the same way. Just a suggestion.

A5 was primarily based on modeling.

Another option: Synergism based on modeling but more advanced then A5

And Netcapper which I mentioned.

So IF you're looking at Modeling software with inexpensive downloads these are obviously all options. Rhetorical question: I just ask why one would choose A5 (unless you've already been using it for yrs)?

To Kitts:

Respectfully- I'm genuinely curious why you're using A5 with your level of experience? To me if you like A5 you'd love Netcapper (which I've never used). Do you think my points on A5 are valid? I'm really just looking out for the folks just entering the Cybercapper world.

Good skill,
Paul N.

Not proofread

codemonkey
11-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Looks like it's time to set the record straight so that the speculation and rumors can be kept in check.

In addition to being the Webmaster, I'm also the programmer and tech support guy for Cynthia Publishing.

Short Answers:

All-In-One V5, despite being a DOS program is still favored by professional handicappers because when used properly it returns good results. When augmented with the extra data available in the race, track model and results downloads from HDW the results get even better.

The reason people are selling copies on Ebay is because the sales office offered a low cost upgrade from *any* previous version, so somebody who has completely given up on using computers for handicapping could make a tidy profit by selling an upgrade from a version they got years ago.

Also note that for every person "ditching" their copy somebody is starting to use it at a discount.

About the next version:

I'm not going to go into the whole "when will it happen" issue - lets just say that the original estimate I gave the sales office about how long it would take were based on a few incorrect assumptions and we were basically forced to rewrite from scratch rather than simply "porting" the DOS version to Windows.

V5 runs just fine in DOS mode on Windows XP. If you are downloading from HDW you need to use a free helper program to get around a memory management bug in XP which keeps V5 from unzipping files. If you have a newer USB printer you'll probably need to "print to file" or use a utility like "dosprinter".

The two main components of the next all-in-one program are already done and available as "The Handy Capper" and "The Betting Analyst". I am in the process of extending them both and combining them. And NO, I'm not going to give anybody a date - let's just say I'm peddling as fast as the bike will go dodging potholes and detours along the way.

(In fact, I'm wasting time I should be using for programming in order to answer this thread)

Summary:

Fast Capper implements the basic speed and pace engine which uses par times to adjust for distance, class and shippers.

The Handy Capper adds the All-In-One style factor analysis and track models and is the equivalent of the V5 handicapping engine.

The Betting Analyst (all flavors) is the equivalent of the V5 record keeping and analysis functions.

All three of these programs will run on both current and future versions Windows, Macintosh and Linux.

As mentioned above, these programs are being combined into a new "All In One" which will add autocompute capability, direct downloading from HDW and several other popular V5 features.

WHEN it will be available will depend on how much time I get to work on it, and how long it takes to fix any problems found during testing.

navrah
11-10-2003, 08:17 PM
To: Codemonkey

So Codemonkey are you also JimL or just Courtney :)?

Good luck in your software development. Really!

It's nice to see that you're on top of things and looking out for A5. Nip this in the hinder so to say. That's encouraging from an outsiders perspective. I mean that sincerely! Obviously you don't need my apprroval.

After Dick left I thought Courtney was running the show? :)

To: Kitts

That Courtney was a real pain in the a** to work for wasn't he?

codemonkey
11-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by navrah
So Codemonkey are you also JimL or just Courtney :)?

Nope, I'm just myself and only registered and posted so as to give people the straight dope on V5/V6/Etc.

I know a lot of people go around posing as others for whatever personal or political reasons, but that's not my style.

signed...

Steve McIntosh
Webmaster, CodeMonkey and Tech Guy
Cynthia Publishing
webmaster@cynthiapublishing.com

kitts
11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
navrah-

You asked me a resonable question re "A5" and I can only say that it works for me. It "fits" me. I have tried maybe most all the softwares out there and I am happily back with (DOS) V5.

I will not respond to questions about former employers

navrah
11-11-2003, 11:09 PM
:) For those that don't understand my reference to Courtney it was all in fun. As Kitts already knows and others may not that Courtney McGraw was a pen name. I hope Kitts realized I wasn't looking for real comment(s) on his former (the real people). Just trying to stir up a little fun sarcasm about the issue of false names going beyond bulletin boards. :)

One last thing then I'm done with this thread. I didn't stop using A5 because of it's performance. I didn't stop using it because of it was DOS. There are a many a fine DOS based programs out there that work just fine. It's just that some were led to believe it was going to happen & didn't. That on top of the various mgmnt changes at the time made me uncomfortable. It then provided me the opportune time to look around. Low and behold I found a better match for me.

Codemonkeys quick attn to this and Kitt's continued use of A5 obviously means something.

Richard
11-12-2003, 06:51 AM
With all the talk about All-In-One,I just want to put in a quick mention of its little brother,EASY CAPPER.While this program is no longer available,it too maintains excellent track models(I currently keep models for AQU,PHA,HOL.andGG),pace contention points and a fair odds line.Also a projected pace scenario for each handicapped.The program is really good at picking longshots.What the manual emphasises is for the user to become proficient at picking the proper paceline,and of course,analyzing the output.Good program,all in all.

JimG
11-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by navrah

I've never been happy with ANY of my software. There's always something I like and others I don't like. I just find the one that fits me the closest with - getting the good with the bad.

That quote above describes me to a tee when it comes to handicapping software. Probably why I own or have tried many different software packages.

Jim

codemonkey
11-12-2003, 04:23 PM
We replaced Easy Capper with "The Handy Capper" which is very similar.

There are a couple of things that didn't get carried over which I might add when I get around to it, but it's low priority compared to working on the next AIO.