PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for Black October

Shacopate
10-10-2003, 02:51 AM
I just ordered the 5100 laptop from Dell. I'm looking to purchase a stand-alone software program that doesn't require data purchases other than PP's.

I don't need it to do the handicapping, but merely to speed up the process. Flexibility is a must. I would like it to be able to adjust instantly towards any trend or bias.

My current approach is divided between key races and horses that impress me visually. The majority of my wagers are playbacks.

But, I would be very interested in a program that can select contenders against the grain and provide an accurate odds line.

Any suggestions?

sq764
10-10-2003, 04:10 PM
I would think if you wanted your program to adjust quickly to biases and trends, you would have to download results files as well.

Larry Hamilton
10-10-2003, 04:25 PM
I can show you how to download results and pps easily, cheaply enough, but I dont really un derstand how you dont want it to handicap for you. The fact is there are so many fields, you must know both the desired outcome and the process before you do the download..More explaination please...

Larry Hamilton
10-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Here are the pieces of the puzzle:

1. You need somewhere to put the data you download. Most on this site use Access. NOT free

2. You need a program to parse the download into only the pieces you want. --free

3. You need a program or the time to download data every day--can be free

4. You will soon need time to quickly sort out all the data you are accumulating.

5. You will need $60 a month to buy the data.

6. You may need some help programming for specific tasks such as identifing key races. After, of course, you define key races to YOUR satisfaction.

What I am trying to say is I can think of no way in which this endeavor's cost in dollars, time and education is free. If you are committed, I'll help.

ps Have you ever noticed the people on this board who are here all the damn time (like me). It means we don't have a job. We are here because we don't need to work, dont want to work or this is our work--pick one. That, too, is part of the puzzle.

Shacopate
10-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks Larry,

Thats useful information and I appreciate your help.

I might have to give up something on my wish list such as adaptability, because I don't really want for data other than PP's.

I might try to pick your brain on some things when I learn more about the whole process.

Thanks again.

Larry Hamilton
10-10-2003, 11:30 PM
If you are willing to give up complete adaptability, you might want to talk to the software guys on this site. There are 3 good ones all with their own niche. Strike up a conversation with the three of them, find out who has what you want. Ill be here if you want to do it yourself..

Shacopate
10-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Larry,

I know about HSH, but who are the others?

When you say "do-it-yourself," does this mean that you can help
build a database or a complete program?

Thanks again.

Larry Hamilton
10-11-2003, 12:08 AM
either or both

=============================

the others are

http://www.homebased2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

http://www.thorotech.com/equisim/index.html

Tom
10-11-2003, 10:06 AM
If you want to use TSN or BRIS files for the PPs. then ESROI might be a good one for you. It has a PP screen built in, you can use the free BRIS PP Generator, or TSN version, and they both have free software that uses thier files as well. I use HTR primarily, but I also use ESROI for a different look at the races,and I am very impressed with it (and I only have ver 3.x - not the new one yet)
And of course, you can grab data from the files to use in your own ways, too. When I met Zafonic recently, he was using a print out from BRIS files that he made himself and it was a very handy printout to take to the track.

BETKING
10-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Tom,
What is ESROI and where can I get a look at it?
Thanks,

BETKING

Tom
10-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by BETKING
Tom,
What is ESROI and where can I get a look at it?
Thanks,

BETKING

http://www.thorotech.com/equisim/index.html

Equisim ROI