PDA

View Full Version : Another problem with racing

andtheyreoff
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Coming up this Saturday at Gulfstream is the $500,000 Sunshine Million Classic, for 4 and up, going 9 Furlongs.

Next Saturday at Gulfstream is the $500,000 Donn, for 4 and up, going 9 Furlongs.

I don't think I have to explain the problem here.

toussaud
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
A few years ago (when mccan's mohave won) the Classic was a million dollar race I'm pretty sure. At least that is what the HRTV inside information keeps telling me

I never did understand why there is not a 2 turn Sunshine Millions 3YO race only. I thought that would be pretty ovbious to do.

NTamm1215
01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
A few years ago (when mccan's mohave won) the Classic was a million dollar race I'm pretty sure. At least that is what the HRTV inside information keeps telling me

I never did understand why there is not a 2 turn Sunshine Millions 3YO race only. I thought that would be pretty ovbious to do.

To further cannibalize the 3YO programs at GP and/or SA?

toussaud
01-24-2011, 08:48 PM
good point.

joanied
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Coming up this Saturday at Gulfstream is the $500,000 Sunshine Million Classic, for 4 and up, going 9 Furlongs.

Next Saturday at Gulfstream is the $500,000 Donn, for 4 and up, going 9 Furlongs.

I don't think I have to explain the problem here.

Nope. :bang: Go figure

johnhannibalsmith
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I guess it is reasonable to point out that the Millions races are restricted state-bred races. Those races seem to attract their fair share of horses that would only venture into stakes company because they are state-bred races with enormous pots. I'm pretty ignorant to who is expected to run where, but intuitively it wouldn't seem like a major conflict... who is expected for the Millions Classic?

Beachbabe
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
The Sunshine Millions Classic is for Florida & California breds only.

The Donn is open (not restricted)

NTamm1215
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I guess it is reasonable to point out that the Millions races are restricted state-bred races. Those races seem to attract their fair share of horses that would only venture into stakes company because they are state-bred races with enormous pots. I'm pretty ignorant to who is expected to run where, but intuitively it wouldn't seem like a major conflict... who is expected for the Millions Classic?

Saturday, Gulfstream Park
SUNSHINE MILLIONS CLASSIC, $500,000, (S), 4yo/up,
1 1/8m
PP HORSE SIRE JOCKEY TRAINER WT
1 First Dude Stephen Got Even Desormeaux Romans 120
2 Duke of Mischief Graeme Hall Coa Fawkes 122
3 Tackleberry Montbrook Santiago Olivares 1 2 0
4 Black Hills Judge T C Hernandez Hone 122
5 Birdrun K Birdstone Maragh Mott 122
6 King Ghidorah Black Mambo Alvarez Parboo 122
7 Cigar Man Drewman Leparoux Cerin 122
8 Dry Martini Slew Gin Fizz Castellano Tagg 122
9 Dream Maestro Concerto Leyva Kaplan 122
10 Honour The Deputy Honour and Glory Velazquez Hollendorfer 120

Saturday, Santa Anita
SUNSHINE MILLIONS TURF, $300,000, (S), 4yo/up,
1 1/8mT
1 Pickapocket Mecke Rosario Wolfson 122
2 Mobilized Soul of the Matter Quinonez G Mandella 122
3 Jeranimo Congaree Gomez Pender 122
4 Soul Candy Birdonthewire Gomez Gallagher 122
5 Caracortado Cat Dreams Talamo Machowsky 120
6 No Inflation Repriced Flores Proctor 122
7 The Usual Q.T. Unusual Heat Espinoza Cassidy 122
8 Presious Passion Royal Anthem Trujillo Hartmann 122

SUNSHINE MILLIONS FILLY AND MARE TURF,
$300,000, (S), 4yo/up, f/m, 1 1/8mT
1 Speak Easy Gal West Acre Leparoux Ma. Wolfson 122
2 Trip For A. J. Trippi Velazquez Mi. Wolfson 120
3 Unbridled Essence Essence of Dubai Lopez Sacco 1 2 2
4 Scolara Quiet American Desormeaux Mott 122
5 Askbut I Won’ttell Horse Chstnut (SAf) Bridgmohan Block 122
6 Wild Mia Wildcat Heir Lezcano Proctor 120
7 Granted Tiger Tiger Ridge Sanchez Jerkens 122
8 Omega Cat Omega Code Bravo Ma. Wolfson 122
9 Dynaslew Dynaformer Coa Benzel 122
10 Becky’s Exchange Exchange Rate Trujillo Hartmann 122
11 Romin Robin Pure Precision Prado Kassen 122
12 Bran Jammas In Excess (Ire) Solid Eurton 122
13 Category Seven Gulf Storm Maragh Hargrave 122
14 Honeymoon Girl Sligo Bay (Ire) Castellano Brown 120
AE Jet Blue Girl Gimmeawink Garcia Eurton 120

Saturday, Santa Anita
SUNSHINE MILLIONS DISTAFF, $300,000, (S), 4yo/up,
f/m, 1 1/16m
1 Camille C Roman Dancer Quinonez Polanco 120
2 Warren’s Blossom Extra Pedroza Gutierrez 120
3 Briecat Adcat Valenzuela Cerin 122
4 Amazing Greatness Bejarano Wolfson 122
5 Antares World Decarchy Alvarado Specht 120
6 All Due Respect Value Plus Talamo Walsh 120
7 Evening Jewel K Northern Afleet Espinoza Cassidy 120
8 Lady Railrider Ride the Rails R Baze Specht 122
9 Ultra Blend Richly Blended Rosario Sherman 122

Saturday, Santa Anita
SUNSHINE MILLIONS SPRINT, $200,000, (S), 4yo/up,
6f
1 Amazombie Northern Afleet Smith Spawr 122
2 Cayambe Helmsman Gomez Garcia 122
3 Cost of Freedom Cee’s Tizzy Talamo Sadler 122
4 Don Tito Trippi Rosario Sadler 120
5 Excessive Passion Vronsky R Baze Bonde 120
6 Quick Enough High Brite Valenzuela O’Neill 122
7 Apriority Grand Slam Bejarano Fawkes 120
8 Dance with Gable Dance Floor Espinoza Machowsky 122

SUNSHINE MILLIONS FILLY AND MARE SPRINT,
$200,000, (S), 4yo/up, f/m, 6f
1 Wildcat Heiress Wildcat Heir Desormeaux McCauley 120
2 Broken Dreams Broken Vow Lezcano Proctor 122
3 Belle of the Hall K Graeme Hall Castellano Albertrani 1 2 0
4 Jessica Is Back Put It Back Solis Ma. Wolfson 122
5 North Rodeo Stephen Got Even Coa Fawkes 122
6 Sweetlalabye Sweetsouthernsaint Maragh Tortora 120
7 Amen Hallelujah K Montbrook Leparoux Dutrow Jr. 120
8 Aegean Northern Afleet Sanchez Ward 120
9 My Irish Girl Closing Argument Lopez Cox 120
10 Musical Romance Concorde’s Tune Leyva Kaplan 120
11 Feel That Fire Lightnin N Thunder Trujillo Sacco 120

andtheyreoff
01-24-2011, 09:18 PM

This isn't the Texas v. Oklahoma Million. The fact is, California and Florida have become major breeding centers, and a lot of good horses have been coming from there recently.

While the Million field (led by First Dude, Duke of Mischief, Dry Martini, and Birdrun) won't cause anyone to wet themselves with excitement, these are horses who would be solid contenders in the latter race, they take away from the Donn field, and as such causes no one any good. Besides, it's ridiculous to card essintally the same race in back to back weeks, no?

If the Donn field comes up with good horses, I'll take it back, but all in all it's just not good to see this kind of stuff happen.

toussaud
01-24-2011, 09:18 PM
well I know who is coming in 2nd place in the Sunshine Millions classic.

There is not 1 horse in the classic (outside of First Dude, who would make a sweeping move and hang to come in 2nd like always) that would be a legit threat in the donn. Tackleberry is going to be less than 8 to 1 and he's a grade 3 type horse, and would not be found with a flashlight in a tough grade 3 like the hal's hope. Not on that level. Duke of mischif, tackleberry, those are not grade 1 caliber horses like I want revenge, rail trip, musket man, etched and soaring empire. this is a way for them to make the big bucks without taking on big buck type competition. Last year, bold cheiften won the classic. He's a golden gate stakes horse for crying out loud and wicked style came in 2nd, who hasn't won anything since he was 2.

the race you really need to be harping about is the sunshine millions turf. I have seen easier grade 1's. Caracatado, the usual QT,Jeranimo and precious passion, that's mighty tough for an ungraded stakes race.

nearco
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM

The SM races are ungraded because they are state-bred races. Most serious Derby hopefuls will not run in an ungraded race from here on in. You would likely get a lower quality field.

joanied
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
well I know who is coming in 2nd place in the Sunshine Millions classic.

There is not 1 horse in the classic (outside of First Dude, who would make a sweeping move and hang to come in 2nd like always) that would be a legit threat in the donn. Tackleberry is going to be less than 8 to 1 and he's a grade 3 type horse, and would not be found with a flashlight in a tough grade 3 like the hal's hope. Not on that level. Duke of mischif, tackleberry, those are not grade 1 caliber horses like I want revenge, rail trip, musket man, etched and soaring empire. this is a way for them to make the big bucks without taking on big buck type competition. Last year, bold cheiften won the classic. He's a golden gate stakes horse for crying out loud and wicked style came in 2nd, who hasn't won anything since he was 2.

the race you really need to be harping about is the sunshine millions turf. I have seen easier grade 1's. Caracatado, the usual QT,Jeranimo and precious passion, that's mighty tough for an ungraded stakes race.

Haven't had time to check the entries yet...but it cracked me up what you said about who'll come in 2nd....talk about a bridesmaid horse...First Dude is going to win one of these days...and without checking entries...I'm picking him to win...at long last:jump:

cj
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Also, they can only run 1 1/8 at GP, which few want to run in January.

toussaud
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I thought it was 9F every year regardless of where it is ran?

PhantomOnTour
01-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I thought it was 9F every year regardless of where it is ran?
I think CJ was referring to hypothetical Sunshine Mills race for 3yr olds around two turns. GP doesn't race 8.5f on dirt and 8f is a one turn race, so he is saying (i think) that trainers don't wanna go that far with their 3yr olds in January. Combine this with the fact that these races are ungraded, as a previous poster pointed out, and who wants to go? No monies won will count towards Derby eligibility. I agree that it's not a good idea.
But to answer your question, yes. The SM Classic is at 9f every year.

Beachbabe
01-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Ironically, the entire field in the Sunshine Millions Classic is made up of Florida breds.