PDA

View Full Version : NFC Championship - oy yoy yoy, the officiating

ponyplayerdotca
01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Congratulations to Green Bay on the win. When all was said and done, they deserve to go to the Super Bowl.

But, I have to say the officiating was like watching Super Bowl XL when the zebras were favoring the Steelers with their calls.

It was NOT a holding penalty against Chester Taylor in the 2nd quarter when the Bears would have had 1st and 10 at the GB 18. (Drive killed)

It was NOT an interception at the end of the first half, and even after the booth review clearly showed the ball touch the ground, the referee let the play stand. (blind or mandated)

And, on the intentional grounding play near the end, Greg Olsen was manhandled across the middle, tripped up, and not one of these eagle-eyed bunch threw a flag for that, but three of them huddled immediately because they had an opinion on Hanie and his errant pass. (selectively blind)

Not sour grapes here, boys. Green Bay deserved the win. But I think some of you can sympathize with the sentiment I display here. The game was turned slightly with these calls at each of those moments.

I do hope the Steelers make it to the big game because I don't know which side the officials will be trying to screw, given past history.

If the Jets make it, you'll be seeing the same kind of calls against them to help the league darling Packers along. You've been forewarned Rex.

slew101
01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
That was a terrible call. On the pick, I thought the play would stand and was surprised Fereira thought it would be overturned.

It was NOT a holding penalty against Chester Taylor in the 2nd quarter when the Bears would have had 1st and 10 at the GB 18. (Drive killed)

It was NOT an interception at the end of the first half, and even after the booth review clearly showed the ball touch the ground, the referee let the play stand. (blind or mandated)

And, on the intentional grounding play near the end, Greg Olsen was manhandled across the middle, tripped up, and not one of these eagle-eyed bunch threw a flag for that, but three of them huddled immediately because they had an opinion on Hanie and his errant pass. (selectively blind)

Not sour grapes here, boys. Green Bay deserved the win. But I think some of you can sympathize with the sentiment I display here. The game was turned slightly with these calls at each of those moments.

I do hope the Steelers make it to the big game because I don't know which side the officials will be trying to screw, given past history.

If the Jets make it, you'll be seeing the same kind of calls against them to help the league darling Packers along. You've been forewarned Rex.

redshift1
01-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Green Bay & Steelers benefitting from the calls, I was hoping for better games today.

cj's dad
01-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Green Bay & Steelers benefitting from the calls, I was hoping for better games today.

The Stealers ALWAYS benefit from the calls !!

redshift1
01-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Hit to the helmet not called on pitt a couple of times

ldiatone
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfYB-Kvq5o&feature=related

NJ Stinks
01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
The Stealers ALWAYS benefit from the calls !!

It's pathetic. Head to head contact where the defender didn't even have his arms out. Harrison piling on over a second late on the Sanchez slide. Was there ever a doubt that Sanchez's arm was not going to be ruled going forward?

And I'm somebody who bet on the Steelers tonight - in part because of zebras in Pittsburgh.

Stillriledup
01-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Once Cutler went down, there was no way the Bears were going to get ANY benefit of any doubt with the calls....no way the NFL wants some nobody QB in their big game. Rodgers with a high flying passing game vs a team with a no name QB who can't really 'light it up'? Cmon man!

League got the matchup they wanted, no way the Jets were going to get any calls either...Jets are the type of team the league hates, bad offense and good defense. They don't want a boring super bowl and teams like the Jets are built to win ugly, boring, low scoring games.

If i was a fan of GB, i would be very concerned. Pitt has a recent history of winning Super Bowl with the refs in their pocket.

ldiatone
01-24-2011, 11:15 AM
you guys whine ALL the time about the refs. why do the steelers get the calls? why? please explain. some good reasons.

ponyplayerdotca
01-24-2011, 07:18 PM
you guys whine ALL the time about the refs. why do the steelers get the calls? why? please explain. some good reasons.

Super Bowl XL in Detroit

Conspiracy Theory pregame: Commissioner Paul Tagliabue retiring after the season. The NFL and the Rooney Family have a long history of mutual appreciation over the years. Also, Detroit-native Jerome Bettis retiring after the game. Many behind the scenes believe the league would do what they could to help gift the Steelers the win so both Bettis and Tagliabue went out big winners. Nobody cared about a small market team from the Pacific Northwest from a promotional point of view.

In-game officiating (I'm sure you all know it well by now):

Seattle TD taken away by a phantom offensive PI push off in the endzone. (FG instead of TD)

Big Ben lands short of the goal line, evidenced by replay, and officials call it a TD on the play, and after the challenge (TD instead of FG try)

Hasselbeck completes 20-yd. pass to Stevens at the 1-yd line at 10-7, which would have given Seattle a 14-10 lead probably. Holding penalty called, no replay on the broadcast as to who it was, and drive is killed.

Backlash after the game from not only the Seahawks, and their fans, but from the general public in greater numbers than I ever seen before.

From this season: In Miami,

Big Ben gets thumped before the goal line, fumbles, and Miami recovers in the end zone. Officials award a TD (naturally). Sparano has to use a challenge to get them to review it (shouldn't have had to). The call they came up with was fumble, "but we couldn't determine who recovered the ball after the fumble because the play was called a TD and the officials stopped on the play" or some zany explanation like that. Result: Pittsburgh ball on the 1-yd. line. Next play, TD. Steelers go on to win a close game.

Ed Reed gets thumped while on the ground by the Samoan lineman last week near the goal line (no call). TJ Housh-zamalama-dingdong gets head butted by #24 in front of the deep judge (no call).

For those of us that don't cheer for the Steelers, these are SOME of the calls or non-calls that they ALWAYS get when they are playing, regular season or playoffs.

I'm still not sure Santonio Holmes had both feet actually touch the ground in the end zone against the Cardinals either. But I know they would NEVER take away a Super Bowl winning TD from them either.

ponyplayerdotca
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Big Ben gets his 2010 six-game suspension reduced to four by new commissioner Roger Goodell. League didn't want to adversely affect the Steelers' entire season because the Rooneys bitched and complained about it.

How might their season have gone had #7 not had played until game 7 instead of game 5?

cj's dad
01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Big Ben gets his 2010 six-game suspension reduced to four by new commissioner Roger Goodell. League didn't want to adversely affect the Steelers' entire season because the Rooneys bitched and complained about it.

How might their season have gone had #7 not had played until game 7 instead of game 5?

All of these issues you raise are why we in Baltimore HATE the Stealers !!
They get all the calls all the time !!

The only redeeming value is that when their fans come to B'more for a game they usually end up with those stupid yellow towels shoved up their A--es !!

PhantomOnTour
01-24-2011, 08:55 PM
This must be where bitch meets moan.

ldiatone
01-25-2011, 05:00 PM

show me were the rooneys bitched about ben to goodell. what proof. still haven't said why the steelers would get the calls. i think you need glasses. the refs are what 10 yds away and we are all watching it on tv?

what "non call" was not made on that 80 yard run by parker?
as myron cope would say you all are like the "dallas CRYboys"
oh yea i guess the rooneys had a lot of influence on the "tuck" rule and the "brady"rule.
and while i'm at it i saw at least 5 holding calls from the sea o line that was not called.

ldiatone
01-25-2011, 05:08 PM
well you should hate the steelers and pittsburgh. cause you in baltimore would give you a*^s up to win another superbowl, stanley cup and world series. :lol:
did i point out big ben (10-19, 133 yds 0 td 2 int) had a flacco kinda of a game and still WON

cj
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
well you should hate the steelers and pittsburgh. cause you in baltimore would give you a*^s up to win another superbowl, stanley cup and world series. :lol:
did i point out big ben (10-19, 133 yds 0 td 2 int) had a flacco kinda of a game and still WON

For the record, nobody in Baltimore cares about a Stanley Cup and 1983 is more recent than 1979.

ldiatone
01-25-2011, 05:14 PM
This must be where bitch meets moan.

go ahead ask them "what kinda of cheese do you want with that WHINE"

how about a wisconsin cheddar. or how about some green bay cheese curds.

ldiatone
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
For the record, nobody in Baltimore cares about a Stanley Cup and 1983 is more recent than 1979.
but 2 and only 1? and you don't follow the caps, what, isn't baltimore a suburb of washington dc?

rastajenk
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Big Ben gets his 2010 six-game suspension reduced to four by new commissioner Roger Goodell.
New commissioner? :confused:

:D

cj
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
but 2 and only 1? and you don't follow the caps, what, isn't baltimore a suburb of washington dc?

Is 2 and only 1 supposed to mean something? It certainly isn't the correct World Series total for either team. The Orioles at least have a little hope, Pittsburgh is the laughing stock of baseball. I think Baltimore has a good indoor soccer team which is about as high up on the sports totem pole as hockey these days in the USA.

Baltimore is twice as populated at Pittsburgh and bigger than DC by a few hundred thousand, so I think not on the suburb comment.

ponyplayerdotca
01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
New commissioner? :confused:

:D

New commissioner since Tagliabue (see earlier in email). I wasn't referring to Goodell as "new this season". Good to see you got a laugh out of it though. Anything to help.

cj's dad
01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
And to further add to this Pitts. vs. Balt. discussion; no one and I mean no one leaves Baltimore to go and live in Pittsburgh yet there are so many Pitts burgers living in Baltimore that it is sickening. Why is that you may ask ?? Maybe because the big industry in Pittsburgh is making sandwiches with french fries on them or manufacturing and/or selling the "terrible towels.

ponyplayerdotca
01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
show me were the rooneys bitched about ben to goodell. what proof. still haven't said why the steelers would get the calls. i think you need glasses. the refs are what 10 yds away and we are all watching it on tv?

Here is the link to the text story I've posted below from back at the time.
This is the PUBLIC version, the politically correct version of the story on the surface. The Rooneys were practically begging Goodell to show leniency. Insiders say there was a helluva lot more to them accompanying Ben to the league office. Basically like a college booster daddy talking to a school president.

NEW YORK -- Ben Roethlisberger is receiving time off for good behavior.

He'll be back on the field for the Pittsburgh Steelers two games earlier than expected after convincing NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that he is turning his life around.

The star quarterback, accompanied by Steelers president Art Rooney, met with Goodell early Friday and was told he could return for an Oct. 17 contest against the Cleveland Browns after missing four games.

Roethlisberger was suspended in April for six games for violating the league's personal-conduct policy, but Goodell said at the time that he would review the quarterback's behavior over the next few months. Goodell was satisfied that Roethlisberger has followed the league's guidelines and stayed out of trouble.

"You have told me and the Steelers that you are committed to making better decisions," Goodell said in a letter to the two-time Super Bowl winner. "Your actions over the past several months have been consistent with that promise and you must continue to honor that commitment."

Roethlisberger was accused of sexually assaulting a Georgia college student following a night of drinking in a Milledgeville, Ga., bar on March 5. He wasn't charged by Georgia authorities.

The league said the "reinstatement is contingent on Roethlisberger continuing to adhere to the program established by our advisors and avoiding any further violations of the personal conduct policy."

Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the NFL's personal-conduct policy who wasn't arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime. However, Goodell said in April that the policy allows him to impose such a penalty when the league's integrity and reputation are at stake.

"I have learned a lot over the past several months about myself as a person," Roethlisberger said in a statement. "I am committed to continuing on this path of being the type of person my family raised me to be, and exceeding what is expected of me as the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Rooney and Roethlisberger met with Goodell at an undisclosed location in New Jersey. Rooney and his organization have kept in frequent contact with the commissioner while Roethlisberger underwent extensive evaluations.

"Ben has done a good job this summer of growing as the person that he needs to be, both on and off the field," Rooney said. "I am confident that Ben is committed to continuing in this positive direction. As a team, our focus is now on preparing for the regular season and getting off to a good start on opening weekend."

Roethlisberger also is being sued in Nevada by a woman who says he sexually assaulted her there in 2008. No charges were brought in that case, and it didn't figure in the NFL's suspension.

While he is out, Roethlisberger can't practice with the Steelers, nor can he attend games or represent the team in any way, or have contact with any member of the coaching staff or football operations personnel.

Considering the team's dire situation at his position, the reduced suspension was about the best news the Steelers could have received. Hours earlier, Roethlisberger's replacement, Byron Leftwich, hurt his left knee in the final preseason game and reportedly will be out two to four weeks.

Roethlisberger will be eligible to return to practice Oct. 4 and play Oct. 17 after the Steelers' bye week. Pittsburgh could be down to Dennis Dixon and veteran Charlie Batch and might need to add another quarterback.

The Steelers host the Atlanta Falcons, visit the Tennessee Titans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, then host the AFC North rival Baltimore Ravens before an Oct. 10 bye.

Roethlisberger and Goodell met last month at the team's training camp in Latrobe, Pa. At that time, Goodell said he was encouraged by the progress Roethlisberger was making and promised to make his decision on the length of the suspension before the regular season began.

Goodell kept his word; the season begins Thursday.

Roethlisberger plans to work with a California-based quarterbacks coach, George Whitfield, and he'll throw to some free-agent receivers who are looking for work in the league. [end}

cj's dad
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM
You are wasting your time and efforts trying to convince any Stealer fan that any player on their team, the beloved stealers has done anything wrong.

Big Ben Rapist-berger is a gorilla masquerading as a QB. But then again, fans of the stealers have little else going for them - ponyplayer, ever been to Pittsberg ??

ponyplayerdotca
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
go ahead ask them "what kinda of cheese do you want with that WHINE"

how about a wisconsin cheddar. or how about some green bay cheese curds.

I actually do wear glasses. I also can discuss topics without assuming someone is automatically "bitching" or "whining". I would hope that anyone, regardless of team affiliation, could also recognize that sometimes in sports, "things happen". I also hope that most of us out there can surmise a story as having three sides - your side, my side, and the truth (pretty much the justice system in a nutshell).

Congratulations on your Steelers and their championships. The Rooneys are an outstanding asset to the National Football League and always have been (just like George Papa Bear Halas, league founder, and founder of the Chicago Bears, and Vince Lombardi, former coach of the Green Bay Packers).

But don't for a minute think that the Rooneys don't also hold a lot of clout within the league office and at owner's meetings year in and year out. And when they need to, they flex it. The Steelers and the commissioner's office (Rozelle, Tagliabue, and Goodell) have always had a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship. And it's in moments like those offered that unbiased people can only wonder what's going on with the calls, especially in Super Bowl XL.

I actually hope Pittsburgh wins Super Bowl XLV because as a lifelong Bears fan, I hate the Packers more.

ponyplayerdotca
01-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Once Cutler went down, there was no way the Bears were going to get ANY benefit of any doubt with the calls....no way the NFL wants some nobody QB in their big game. Rodgers with a high flying passing game vs a team with a no name QB who can't really 'light it up'? Cmon man!

League got the matchup they wanted, no way the Jets were going to get any calls either...Jets are the type of team the league hates, bad offense and good defense. They don't want a boring super bowl and teams like the Jets are built to win ugly, boring, low scoring games.

Smartest post seen on this board in a long time.

slew101
01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
That play happened in the 4th quarter with Pitt leading 14-10. Seattle had the momentum and would have been 1st and goal from the 1. The call was against Locklear and it was a phantom hold.

Hasselbeck was picked on the next play and Seattle didn't even get the FG. Few minutes later, Randle El hit Hines Ward on the reverse TD pass to make it 21-10.

I had Seattle +4.5. Remember that one well.

[QUOTE=ponyplayerdotca]Super Bowl XL in Detroit

Hasselbeck completes 20-yd. pass to Stevens at the 1-yd line at 10-7, which would have given Seattle a 14-10 lead probably. Holding penalty called, no replay on the broadcast as to who it was, and drive is killed.

ponyplayerdotca
01-25-2011, 08:46 PM
That play happened in the 4th quarter with Pitt leading 14-10. Seattle had the momentum and would have been 1st and goal from the 1. The call was against Locklear and it was a phantom hold.

Hasselbeck was picked on the next play and Seattle didn't even get the FG. Few minutes later, Randle El hit Hines Ward on the reverse TD pass to make it 21-10.

I had Seattle +4.5. Remember that one well.

[QUOTE=ponyplayerdotca]Super Bowl XL in Detroit

Thanks slew. I got my score wrong upon recollection. Seattle could have gone up 17-14 I guess, not what I said. You do indeed remember it well.

PhantomOnTour
01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
You are wasting your time and efforts trying to convince any Stealer fan that any player on their team, the beloved stealers has done anything wrong.

Big Ben Rapist-berger is a gorilla masquerading as a QB. But then again, fans of the stealers have little else going for them - ponyplayer, ever been to Pittsberg ??
You are embarrassing yourself. Stop the whining already for chrissakes. You never seem to answer the Ray Lewis murder involvement question yet you throw the Raplisberger word around like crazy....

WHAT ABOUT RAY LEWIS AND HIS INVOLVEMENT IN A FRACAS THAT LEFT A MAN DEAD!!!???
WHAT TEAM DOES DONTE' STALLWORTH PLAY FOR?

slew101
01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
None of these teams are free of bad guys. Every roster has questionable players, and the very good teams likely have plenty.

How about the Jets' Cromartie? Nine kids with 8 different women? In the HBO show, he said he's made some mistakes? Just some?

The Giants put up with Burress just long enough to win a Super Bowl. How about Belichick putting up with Richard Seymour all those years and Parcells with Lawrence Taylor?

Valuist
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM

If i was a fan of GB, i would be very concerned. Pitt has a recent history of winning Super Bowl with the refs in their pocket.

Ponyplayer said this was the smartest post he'd seen in a while. I'd say it would rank about 100,000th in line.

Why would the league want to keep teams from New York and Chicago, the first and 3rd biggest markets in the US out of the Super Bowl?

You say the NFL wants to keep strong defense, weak offense out but aren't the Steelers and Packers are the top 2 defenses in the NFL? Pittsburgh # 1 against the run, # 2 against the pass (by QB efficiency). Green Bay allowed 155 points in their last 12 games and was # 1 against the pass. That kind of defeats the theory of league not wanting strong defenses. If that was the case, where was the conspiracy where offensive minded teams like Indy, New England, Philly, Atlanta and Kansas City got beat? It doesn't add up.

ldiatone
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
ok ok i'm done, you guys win. the steelers do get the calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvz8y_DUSY

i'll go now back here to pittsburgh "the city of champions".

NJ Stinks
01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
ok ok i'm done, you guys win. the steelers do get the calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvz8y_DUSY

i'll go now back here to pittsburgh "the city of champions".

Idiatone, I've been to Pittsburgh a bunch of times and really like being there. Hell, one my favorite memories as a kid was the Pirates beating the Yanks in 1960.

But that doesn't change what I see in the NFL. Playing in Pittsurgh and Foxboro is bad news for the visitors in a big or close game. That goes double in the playoffs.

You don't have to believe it. (shrug)

cj's dad
01-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Latest Big ben joke- what does Big ben smell like after he has had sex ????

Pepper spray

Fred
01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
All of these issues you raise are why we in Baltimore HATE the Stealers !!
They get all the calls all the time !!

The only redeeming value is that when their fans come to B'more for a game they usually end up with those stupid yellow towels shoved up their A--es !!

Being a hater does not make one a fan of anything

Freddy

cj's dad
01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Being a hater does not make one a fan of anything

Freddy

I'm so sorry Freddy - I'm going to try real hard to be nicer !!

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. Mea Maximus Culpa !!!

Fred
01-29-2011, 01:41 PM
It is the same thing in horse racing. I have seen and heard it all my life. Their horse loses and it is always a conspiracy. The kid stiffed him, terrible ride by the jockey, horse wins easy if he doesn't have to check. The fix was in. Boat race and trainer drugged the horse and on and on. But if they have a winner it is: How could they possibly let this horse get away at that price? That was my pick of the day. I loved this horse.

Same way in sports- Their team wins because they are the best team. If they do not win it is the officiating or some other poor excuse.

They are simply part of the OH AIN'T IT AWFUL crowd

I guess it is what it is

Knocking on Seven's Door

Freddy

cj's dad
01-30-2011, 07:19 AM
It is the same thing in horse racing. I have seen and heard it all my life. Their horse loses and it is always a conspiracy. The kid stiffed him, terrible ride by the jockey, horse wins easy if he doesn't have to check. The fix was in. Boat race and trainer drugged the horse and on and on. But if they have a winner it is: How could they possibly let this horse get away at that price? That was my pick of the day. I loved this horse.

Same way in sports- Their team wins because they are the best team. If they do not win it is the officiating or some other poor excuse.

They are simply part of the OH AIN'T IT AWFUL crowd

I guess it is what it is

Knocking on Seven's Door

Freddy

You seem very certain of this scenario; sounds like real life experience to me, as if you have done the same thing .