PDA

View Full Version : Aww yeah, Vermont!

FantasticDan
01-22-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.alternet.org/news/149620/vermont_is_gearing_up_to_strike_a_major_blow_to_co rporate_personhood,_ban_it_statewide/

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
01-22-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm ashamed to admit that I missed the point I was so distracted by the horrendousness of the author.

boxcar
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm ashamed to admit that I missed the point I was so distracted by the horrendousness of the author.

Not so quick, John. Read this paragraph:

"Corporations have no consciences, no beliefs, no feelings, no thoughts, no desires," wrote Stevens. "Corporations help structure and facilitate the activities of human beings, to be sure, and their 'personhood' often serves as a useful legal fiction. But they are not themselves members of 'We the People' by whom and for whom our Constitution was established."

I'm all for this, actually -- with the proviso that the states write complementary legislation that pertains equally to Unions. What Steven wrote about Corps applies equally to Big Labor. Unions, too, are legal fictions. But failing this provision, then I say :ThmbDown: to the depersonalization of corporations; for then there would be no balance of power in the private sector. The balance would shift entirely in favor of Unions. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
I meant the author of the article and his tone. I don't care about his opinion and that seems to be all that he is capable of exuding word by tedious word.

Spiderman
01-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Don't know if the Tom Toles cartoon appears from my copy/paste. It pictures a male character seated in front of very large pile of money, in building titled, "Corporate Cash Reserve." He is facing a group of people and the balloon caption states, " We'll start hiring when you find the money to start buying stuff". In the lower right of the cartoon, Toles wrote, : The supply side won.

PS - the cartoon did not paste to this post.

rastajenk
01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Are there any corporations HQ'd in Vermont? If there are, they should move out, with all their employees, tomorrow. Man does not live by maple syrup alone.