PDA

View Full Version : monitor

judd
01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
is there a way to check monitor life ? (time left before goes caput)

redshift1
01-22-2011, 02:02 PM

What type of monitor CRT, LCD, LED, manufacturer and screen size?

judd
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
acer lcd 17

bigmack
01-22-2011, 02:11 PM
You mean you have an answer to the question based on these criteria?

wilderness
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
There are some Java softwares that tweak stuck pixels on LCD's.

I had one were simply taking apart the monitor and re-plugging the connector solved the issues.

redshift1
01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
acer lcd 17

Acer is fairly good we used them at work for an average of about 20 hours a day under heavy use without any problems. Life expectancy is over 50,000 hours of use.

BillW
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Do you have reason to believe it is failing? There is no way to tell the life left on a monitor that is functioning properly.

judd
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Do you have reason to believe it is failing? There is no way to tell the life left on a monitor that is functioning properly.
no but previous one just went bad with no notice-had to run out to best buy to get one--next one would like to buy large screen at newegg but not if this one is going to be ok for quite awhile

BillW
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
no but previous one just went bad with no notice-had to run out to best buy to get one--next one would like to buy large screen at newegg but not if this one is going to be ok for quite awhile

Judd,

Sudden failures are extremely tough to predict. I just replaced my 4 year old monitor (the back light was going bad). I guess I was reasonably happy with it's service life.

The only options you have is either deal with being hurried to bey a new one when it goes bad, or replace it before hand if you feel you've got enough value out of it now or buy a backup (but why would you want to have a newer(nicer!) one sitting on the shelf while you used the old one :) ). Good luck.