PDA

View Full Version : Secretariat owner creates award

GatetoWire
01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP)—The woman who owned Secretariat has created an award to be given annually to the horse whose popularity and racing excellence resonates most with the American public.
Penny Chenery said Wednesday the inaugural winner of the Secretariat Vox Populi Award or “Voice of the People” will be given to Zenyatta, who had a 19-1 record before retiring in November.
Zenyatta won the Eclipse Award as Horse of the Year on Monday.
Chenery will present her award to Zenyatta’s owners, Jerry and Ann Moss, at Santa Anita in Arcadia, Calif., on Feb. 5.
Chenery says the racing industry is long overdue in annually acknowledging a horse who brings the most excitement and attention to the sport.
Chenery personally selected Zenyatta as this year’s winner, but starting next year, a committee of racing personalities and industry representatives will choose the winner along with a national online vote.

This should become part of the Eclipse Awards so that we don't ever have a repeat performance of this year when HOY becomes about popularity and not who actually won on the track.

joanied
01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Excellent idea and glad Mrs. Tweedy has done this...not for the reason Gate to Wite mentioned, but because it very well may get owners/trainers to keep horses in training longer, might get the ones with top horses to speak up about them more, put up web sites or Facebook pages to draw in more fans...

rastajenk
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
but because it very well may get owners/trainers to keep horses in training longerI see you have a big laughing Smilie on your post, so I gotta ask: Are you posting in jest, or are you really happy about this? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but I really can't see the quoted part of your post as being very realistic, unless there's a cash amount with a lot of zeroes on it associated with the award. :p

depalma113
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
They already have that award, it's the Kentucky Derby Trophy.

joanied
01-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I was just kinda kiddin' around...maybe shoulda used the little sarcastic dude too!

Nothing short of $$$ is going to get anyone to keep a horse in training longer, which is pretty damned sad if you think about it...

but to be serious, this award is a good idea simply to get the fans involved a little bit...I hope they can find another horse to fall in love with and stick around...with an owner like Mike Repole, Uncle Mo (if he stays sound and continues to stay on top) may be the winner of Mrs. Tweedy's new award at the end of this year...

and that can't be a bad thing!

Investorater
01-27-2011, 09:38 AM
1 - 27 - 73: Penny Chenery accepted the Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year on behalf of Secretariat who was also voted Champion two - year - old of 1972.

What a Lady of Class