PDA

View Full Version : NTRA/DRF missing an obvious publicity angle?

Milkshaker
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Big championship handicapping contest coming up in Vegas next week...

Big spread in the DRF about purses being raised/format being tweaked for next year...

All the great ingredients to make prospective participants say "Yeah, I want to check out the schedule so I can get in on this."

So, of course...

I can't find a single link or mention of the 2011-12 qualifying schedule anywhere on either the DRF or NTRA website. (A link to sign up, yes, but where I can plan for the qualifiers--nowhere).

Plenty of archived info about past winners, but absolutely zero material with the potential for "forward" marketing.

OTM Al
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
They are likely still firming up dates. NTRA doesn't run most of these qualifiers and since last year's finals haven't happened yet, very few contests have been run for this year so far. The schedule will be here though

http://www.ntra.com/content/nhctour#NHC_Tour_Schedule

Milkshaker
01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
No, I understand that the situation involves "firming up dates."

That's just my point.

Get the dates firmed up ahead of time, and present an attractive package to entice people to want to sign on for next year's tour.

This is a participatory (not spectator) event where you want to capitalize on the buzz of the championship to show potential participants that an attractive package is on the table for the next edition.

Donnie
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Milkshaker--
You could start planning your schedule around the NHCQualify.com site. They hold pre-qualifiers for Qualifying rounds as well as single-day qualifiers. The pre-qualies are $100 entry, but you must pass 2 rounds. The single days usually are $400.

You can start your planning here... http://www.nhcqualify.com/schedule.aspx

This is their online schedule. Typically the schedule for the on-site track tournaments is not released until after the Finals.

One note of caution = always read the rules...all tournaments are different. AND be sure you sign up as a Tour member BEFORE you enter your first tournament. If you win and you are NOT a Tour member, you only win the cash that may be offered as prizes...you DO NOT get the trip to the FINALS for the big money!!!

OTM Al
01-21-2011, 08:49 AM
No, I understand that the situation involves "firming up dates."

That's just my point.

Get the dates firmed up ahead of time, and present an attractive package to entice people to want to sign on for next year's tour.

This is a participatory (not spectator) event where you want to capitalize on the buzz of the championship to show potential participants that an attractive package is on the table for the next edition.

I don't think you realize how these things work as far as the setup goes. First, you can't just pick any date you want. The tracks and NTRA all coordinate with each other so they don't end up with a situation in which several are happening on the same day. Second, each tournament has to work out its own budgeting. You may not realize this, but tournament holders have to give the NTRA about $10,000 (so if all entry money is paid to players, then money needs to be budgeted) per seat won in the finals plus many do a lot of stuff for the players during the event. Further, it has to be made to fit into the track's racing schedule which also needs to be finalized. If you want to know what it will look like in the end, it will probably be pretty similar to last year's schedule. Don't worry though, the schedule will come out and will be built on through the year. I know this has become a now culture, but have some patience

Milkshaker
01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't think you realize how these things work as far as the setup goes. First, you can't just pick any date you want...I know this has become a now culture, but have some patience.

Your points are well taken, but...

1) My original slant on this wasn't "when will the schedule come out" but rather "why don't they present a better package marketing-wise at a time when their championship is in the spotlight." It's a very basic "marketing forward" principle that could be employed to the benefit of the Tour as a whole (for both the entities that run it, and players).

2) Everything you mentioned in your post--coordinating the schedule, collecting funds--could easily be done in November-December instead of January-February.

I mean, even if the NTRA/DRF just teased the overall tour with a firm schedule for the first quarter of '11, it would be something to "tease" marketing-wsie while the current championship is playing out.