PDA

View Full Version : Nobody caught this one...

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2011, 03:36 AM
At least nobody that I have read yet...

Was watching the Eclipse Awards again tonight (well, to be honest, I simply fast forwarded to the HOTY announcement, because I wanted to take it all in again...lol)

Well, after it's announced that big Z is HOTY, announcer Larry Collmus is reading from the script about Zenyatta, and lets this little gem fly:

"The first female to win the gold trophy since Azeri in 2002."

Wow.

You can hear it for yourself if you FF to the 2:15 mark:

uDFpnkTkRPI

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2011, 04:07 AM
I wonder if they simply handed Collmus the script prepared for last year's show? One has to wonder given that King Kong-sized oversight....then again, that makes no sense as the results are known well before awards night...

bigmack
01-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Just remarkable. Particularly in light of it being scripted. What an embarrassment all the way around. Not to blame Collmus but you'd think he would have read it over before delivering.

FenceBored
01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
At least nobody that I have read yet...

Was watching the Eclipse Awards again tonight (well, to be honest, I simply fast forwarded to the HOTY announcement, because I wanted to take it all in again...lol)

Well, after it's announced that big Z is HOTY, announcer Larry Collmus is reading from the script about Zenyatta, and lets this little gem fly:

Wow.

You can hear it for yourself if you FF to the 2:15 mark:

uDFpnkTkRPI

I caught that one live. Second tacky moment in the brief period I was watching.

Greyfox
01-20-2011, 08:16 AM
It was a snafu for sure.
The announcer said:

I suggest that he intended to say:
"The first mare to win the gold trophy since Azeri in 2002."

Tom
01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I think they should all be embarrassed!
Dolts.

5k-claim
01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
It was a snafu for sure.
The announcer said:

I would bet this is what happened. It explains why he didn't catch it, even if reading it over. He just messed up and interchanged the word "female" for "mare" when he read it out loud.

Next time: read it over beforehand and make sure it is right, and then read it out loud as written.

Tom
01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Seeing how RA won it last year, the whole idea of mentioning sex was absurd.
What's next, the first grey mare with one white stocking in the last 50 years....?

FenceBored
01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I would bet this is what happened. It explains why he didn't catch it, even if reading it over. He just messed up and interchanged the word "female" for "mare" when he read it out loud.

Next time: read it over beforehand and make sure it is right, and then read it out loud as written.

Even if it is what happened, that would still be just an overly pedantic attempt to inflate the accomplishment.

"Oh, Rachel was still a filly, so technically Zenyatta is the first mare to win HOY since Azeri."

Added - Oops, Tom got to the nub quicker. Well said. :ThmbUp:

Sugar Ron
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Poor RA is like the Rodney Dangerfield of horses now.

But seriously, Pace, anybody could tell I didn't write that script since the phrase 'greatest female ever' is missing. :cool:

5k-claim
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Even if it is what happened, that would still be just an overly pedantic attempt to inflate the accomplishment.

"Oh, Rachel was still a filly, so technically Zenyatta is the first mare to win HOY since Azeri."

Added - Oops, Tom got to the nub quicker. Well said. :ThmbUp:

I agree.

Grits
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Poor RA is like the Rodney Dangerfield of horses now.

This isn't anywhere near as funny as your username. Not even remotely so.

And as far as Rachel Alexandra . . . . in your wildest dreams, buddy.

You're a troll. Nothing more.

toussaud
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Can't say that I am surprised. Everyone talks about how classless Jess Jackson is, but this group makes him look like Jimmy Carter compared to how classless they can be. Whining when they don't win, taking pot shots when they do win, etc. Sick of them. Mike Smith has class, I like Mike Smith. The mosses, talk about having class but do everything to show otherwise.

tzipi
01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
That's just ridiculous. I mean she just won last year. What is this, high school?

DeanT
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
What a good catch.

What made it extra funny is that Waldrop mentions last year at length just seconds before.

Grits
01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Proof reading, obviously, no longer a high paying position?:faint:

Milkshaker
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
If you are familiar with Mr. Collmus and his work ethic, there is NO WAY he uttered this with the chance to first proof it himself. Larry prides himself in accuracy. Remember, this was a secret ballot. He was handed the "appropriate" copy to read by a lackey at NTRA only moments after the winner was announced.

JustRalph
01-20-2011, 11:51 PM
interesting ? hmmm.....would love to know who wrote it

bigmack
01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
If you are familiar with Mr. Collmus and his work ethic, there is NO WAY he uttered this with the chance to first proof it himself. Larry prides himself in accuracy. Remember, this was a secret ballot. He was handed the "appropriate" copy to read by a lackey at NTRA only moments after the winner was announced.
If he had the copy for all three in front of him prior to the announcement of the recipient would that blow the cover of the winner?

Stage hand: We got a winner. Quick, hand him the copy to read.

Milkshaker
01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
If he had the copy for all three in front of him prior to the announcement of the recipient would that blow the cover of the winner?

Good point--but I would not assume, given past performance, that the folks who run this event are that sharp in the planning department.

Grits
01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

I'm am familiar with how very good Larry Collmus is at his work--and you are probably correct--some lackey handed him the copy. My observation was in no way directed at him. Not at all.

Greyfox
01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Mr. Collmus is too thorough to make that kind of mistake.
Rumor has it that Mr. Collmus had access to RA's genetic testing just before the evening ceremonies.
He discovered that Rachel Alexandra really is Raymond Alexander. ;)

(If you believe that I have a bridge for sale.)

EJXD2
01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
It was a snafu for sure.
The announcer said:

Azeri was a four-year-old when she won Horse of the Year in 2002, so she was a filly. Both Lady's Secret and All Along were fillies, too, so Zenyatta is the first mare to win Horse of the Year since the Eclipse Awards began.

Greyfox
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Azeri was a four-year-old when she won Horse of the Year in 2002, so she was a filly. Both Lady's Secret and All Along were fillies, too, so Zenyatta is the first mare to win Horse of the Year since the Eclipse Awards began.

Excellent point.
If that is the case Mr. Collmus insulted both Rachel A and Zenyatta in the same breath.
1. He took away Rachel's status as a female.
2. He took away the unique accomplishment of Zenyatta being the first mare ever to win an Eclipse award.

The mistake is worse than I thought it was!

FenceBored
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Excellent point.
If that is the case Mr. Collmus insulted both Rachel A and Zenyatta in the same breath.
1. He took away Rachel's status as a female.
2. He took away the unique accomplishment of Zenyatta being the first mare ever to win an Eclipse award.

The mistake is worse than I thought it was!

I'm sorry to say that you, inadvertantly, may have just done it yourself. Zenyatta may or may not* have the pedantic pleasure of being the first mare (i.e. female thoroughbred aged 5 or older) to win the HOY Eclipse, but she is not "the first mare ever to win an Eclipse award."

*[must try to be sure I have inserted enough weasel words when arguing pedantic points on pedantry, else 'open foot insert mouth,' eh what?]

Nets
01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey, it's just the logical progression of things. If some can change a loss to a "virtual" win in an actual race (2010 BCC), how simple it is to just erase an award vote from a prior year. Can't wait to see what's next.:D

Greyfox
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry to say that you, inadvertantly, may have just done it yourself. Zenyatta may or may not* have the pedantic pleasure of being the first mare (i.e. female thoroughbred aged 5 or older) to win the HOY Eclipse, but she is not "the first mare ever to win an Eclipse award."

*[must try to be sure I have inserted enough weasel words when arguing pedantic points on pedantry, else 'open foot insert mouth,' eh what?]

:ThmbUp: Yes. I stand corrected. I should have said:
2. He took away the unique accomplishment of Zenyatta being the first mare ever to win a Horse of the Year Eclipse award.

Mr. Collmus still insulted two horses in one breath.

(Sorry to all of the mares slighted by that error. In the words and sounds of Julio Iglesas "To All the Mares I loved before.")

keithw84
01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Mr. Collmus is too thorough to make that kind of mistake.
Rumor has it that Mr. Collmus had access to RA's genetic testing just before the evening ceremonies.
He discovered that Rachel Alexandra really is Raymond Alexander. ;)

(If you believe that I have a bridge for sale.)

I thought maybe Rachel had to vacate the award after it was discovered she sold her Preakness championship black-eyed susan blanket to pay for a tattoo.