PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse for Claimers

Beachbabe
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Enough with the primadonnas.
How about an award for the unsung heroes of Racing.....the oft-maligned CLAIMERS.
Horses that actually race more than 6 times a year...in 10 degree wind-chills; in 100 degree heat; rain; snow.....puffy ankles; swollen kness and all.

My vote would have gone to World Gone Wrong, who accomplshed 14 WINS this year....thats Wins not races. She raced at multiple tracks, daylight or night (her last race was at Penn National in temps in the teens, where she finished a close second).

But she's just one of many, who give their all every 3 weeks or so.
I'm sure most everyone here has one or two they would like to nominate.

Linny
01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Laysh Laysh Laysh

Wingtips
01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Good idea, but most of the owners in the room last night consider claimers beneath them.

Shelby
01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Jersey Shore Girl :)

Beachbabe
01-21-2011, 03:56 PM
I see where everyone is throwing their favorite claimers into this thread, so..............if I can fit one more in here, it would be : FIX YOU---a 6 yr old mare (like Zenyatta ;) ). She was 6 for 9 in 2010 and now 2 for 2 in 2011. She's now won 6 races in a row; 5 in starters allowance. Up until today her smallest margin of victory during her streak was 5 3/4 lengths. Today she won by a mere 2 lengths without being asked for much.
Funny how both "claimers" I mentioned are filly/mares. Since this was obviously the year of the female horse at the Eclipse awards ;) , I would imagine one of these two would have won Claimer of the Year.

onefast99
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Good idea, but most of the owners in the room last night consider claimers beneath them.
I don't agree. The cost for Zenyatta was 60k as a yearling though not a claimer she and many others who went on to make a lot of money were offered for low prices, Lava man went for 50k and Ginger Punch was offered by Adena Springs for 17.5k. I like the idea of an Eclipse award for a claimer but what would the criteria be to select such a winner? Races won? Initial cost? Career earnings? Stakes winner?

Broad Brush
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I agree; claimers should get more recogition than they do.
The life of a claimer who loves to win is a tough one. Because of the
economics (not wanting them to be claimed), they are always running against
horses that are as good or better than them on a pure talent level.
But some of them time and again run beyond themselves to get another win.

I was lucky to watch a claimer years ago at Thistledown named: Time To Bid.

He had 174 starts with 50 wins and 130 in-the-money finishes...that is "heart".

Cardus
01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
"Eclipse for Claimers" sounds like "Cash for Clunkers".

Grits
01-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Cardus . . . . . LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:lol:

Beachbabe
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
"Eclipse for Claimers" sounds like "Cash for Clunkers".

You're a real card !

thaskalos
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
The claimers may not be the most glamorous part of this game, but they are the serious bettor's "bread and butter"...and as such, they don't deserve to be ridiculed, IMO.

Not to mention, that many of them are as courageous as horses get...

Beachbabe
01-21-2011, 09:54 PM
The claimers may not be the most glamorous part of this game, but they are the serious bettor's "bread and butter"...and as such, they don't deserve to be ridiculed, IMO.

Grits
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM

I'm laughing, simply, because Cardus is funny. I don't think for a moment his intent is to degrade horses of any level. Again, a sense of humor is a fine thing to possess.

Too, if one gets to read, as I just have, Jaimy Gordon's, 2010 National Book Award Winner, Lord of Misrule, you'll see exactly how courageous claimers really are, along with how truly tough and burned out workers become on the backstretch. Needless to say, it sure wasn't a view of racing's brightest side. Dark, dark reading.

windoor
01-21-2011, 10:37 PM

As I mostly play claiming races I wholeheartedly agree.

windoor

thaskalos
01-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm laughing, simply, because Cardus is funny. I don't think for a moment his intent is to degrade horses of any level. Again, a sense of humor is a fine thing to possess.

Too, if one gets to read, as I just have, Jaimy Gordon's, 2010 National Book Award Winner, Lord of Misrule, you'll see exactly how courageous claimers really are, along with how truly tough and burned out workers become on the backstretch. Needless to say, it sure wasn't a view of racing's brightest side. Dark, dark reading.It doesn't matter to me what Cardus meant...or how elevated his (or your) sense of humor might be.

I just think that claiming horses should not be associated with the word "clunkers" - even in jest...and I felt compelled to say so.

And if this is just another indication of my obvious lack of humor...so be it.

Shelby
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Well guys, the two of you sure did take this down a notch. Bad, bad, bad. I doubt Beach had anticipated her thread taking a dive like this.:faint:

No kidding!

Back on track...

The Claiming Crown is going to be held at Fair Grounds in Louisiana this year, instead of Canterbury Park. It's going to be December 11.

http://www.claimingcrown.com/index2.htm

Tom
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
December 11?????

That's pretty weird for a summer event!
I like the CC, but I prefer it at Canterbury myself.

btw, if a horse wins an eclipse for claiming horses, and then gets claimed later, does the new owner get the trophy too?;)

joanied
01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
December 11?????

That's pretty weird for a summer event!
I like the CC, but I prefer it at Canterbury myself.

btw, if a horse wins an eclipse for claiming horses, and then gets claimed later, does the new owner get the trophy too?;)

Good question, Tom...and one reason I doubt something like this would work, they just change hands too often.
At least with the Claiming Crown they have a platform in which to be recognized...although, I suppose there could be a way to at least have a Claimer of the Year Award...

IMO, every claimer is a champion anyway :ThmbUp:

depalma113
01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't agree. The cost for Zenyatta was 60k as a yearling though not a claimer she and many others who went on to make a lot of money were offered for low prices, Lava man went for 50k and Ginger Punch was offered by Adena Springs for 17.5k. I like the idea of an Eclipse award for a claimer but what would the criteria be to select such a winner? Races won? Initial cost? Career earnings? Stakes winner?

When exactly was Ginger Punch offered for $17.5k?

Cardus
01-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Most Facebook friends.

Beachbabe
01-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Most Facebook friends.

Nah.....no one on Facebook knows what a claimer is.

onefast99
01-23-2011, 03:35 PM
When exactly was Ginger Punch offered for $17.5k?
At the adena springs yearling sale.