PDA

View Full Version : Where's Calvin's Eclipse for Outstanding Jockey

FenceBored
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Calvin Borel has done more to elevate racing in general and jockeys in particular over the past 4 years than any other rider in North America.

He has higher name recognition outside the stuffy confines of the smoke filled OTB than any other current American jockey.

He has won 3 of the last four Ky Derbys, the most watched race of the year by a broad cross section of the nation.

If we're going to build this sport, his kind of broad based popularity should not be passed over like this. He has dined with Queen Elizabeth II at the White House, appeared on numerous late night TV shows, and has won the Espy for Best Jockey twice.

He was robbed, again.

BluegrassProf
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
:D

The Little Prince of horse racing.

Injustice!!

woodtoo
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Could be that little dust up on BC day :D

FenceBored
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Could be that little dust up on BC day :D

That just got racing more mainstream coverage; another argument in his favor. :cool:

turfnsport
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Isn't that why they have the ESPY's?

woodtoo
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
That just got racing more mainstream coverage; another argument in his favor. :cool:

This may well be true. :lol:

FenceBored
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Isn't that why they have the ESPY's?

The Eclipse Awards are racing's highest honor. To shun racing's most well known jockey (not even a finalist? :eek: ) is a slap in the face to casual fans and risks eroding the extensive outreach efforts Team Borel has engaged in the past few years.

BluegrassProf
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Proud Borealot here!

Team B was straight ROBBED. Travesty.

JustRalph
01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Calvin Borel has done more to elevate racing in general and jockeys in particular over the past 4 years than any other rider in North America.

He has higher name recognition outside the stuffy confines of the smoke filled OTB than any other current American jockey.

He has won 3 of the last four Ky Derbys, the most watched race of the year by a broad cross section of the nation.

If we're going to build this sport, his kind of broad based popularity should not be passed over like this. He has dined with Queen Elizabeth II at the White House, appeared on numerous late night TV shows, and has won the Espy for Best Jockey twice.

He was robbed, again.

I get it, good point. If you are discussing Calvin in this thread, that swishing sound is that breeze going over your head

turfnsport
01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
The Eclipse Awards are racing's highest honor. To shun racing's most well known jockey (not even a finalist? :eek: ) is a slap in the face to casual fans and risks eroding the extensive outreach efforts Team Borel has engaged in the past few years.

Most casual fans have no idea what the Eclipse Awards are.

joanied
01-18-2011, 02:03 PM
I was very surprised Calvin didn't even make their short list...IMO, not good!

Dahoss9698
01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I was very surprised Calvin didn't even make their short list...IMO, not good!

Wow. Does anyone actually follow the sport here?

Tom
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
He was nominated for best left hook and for best "mad face."

joanied
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
He was nominated for best left hook and for best "mad face."

:lol: That face was somethin' to see!

GaryG
01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Calvin had no place on the short list. If anyone prefers him to Gomez, Dominguez or Johnny V they are simply not a serious fan. I wanted to say "player", but threads like this do not include many who bet.

joanied
01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I should not have said 'short list'...but he should have been nominated, at least I think so.
I also think all three on the short list certainly deserved to be there...and I think the best jock won...
world class riders, all.

Dahoss9698
01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I should not have said 'short list'...but he should have been nominated, at least I think so.
I also think all three on the short list certainly deserved to be there...and I think the best jock won...
world class riders, all.

I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process here. Based on Borel's riding record this year, why should he have been nominated? Maybe you are right and I'm missing something. So what is the reason?

gm10
01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process here. Based on Borel's riding record this year, why should he have been nominated? Maybe you are right and I'm missing something. So what is the reason?

Do you think that Ramon D deserved to win?

cj
01-18-2011, 07:13 PM

I genuinely believe he is using sarcasm to point out the same situation led to the naming of Horse of the Year. If I am off base, he can fill us in, but I don't think I am.

Cardus
01-18-2011, 07:38 PM

That's funny.

Cardus
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I genuinely believe he is using sarcasm to point out the same situation led to the naming of Horse of the Year. If I am off base, he can fill us in, but I don't think I am.

I think that DaHoss' post was related to Joanied's, not the thread starter.

That's how I treated it, anyway.

cj
01-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I think that DaHoss' post was related to Joanied's, not the thread starter.

That's how I treated it, anyway.

Yep, I'm the knucklehead today. All these posts are making me brain dead.

rrpic6
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Some day when I have nothing to do for hours, I'm going to list the top 100 jockeys in America. Right now, just doing a rough draft, I see Borel at around 83.

RR

joanied
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes, I beleive Ramon D is a deserving winner. He was my choice between the three.

GatetoWire
01-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't think that 24th in money won and 110th in overall wins is very Eclipse worthy.

Eclipse Awards are usually given out to the very best in each category. Occasionally mistakes are made and it become a popularity contest but not too often.

Dahoss9698
01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Do you think that Ramon D deserved to win?

Absolutely. He had the best year and did it without riding first call for a large outfit like Velazquez. Gomez is probably the best big money rider we have and his performance Breeders Cup weekend was remarkable considering he was injured. But he was inconsistent for parts of the year.

GregReinhart
01-18-2011, 11:59 PM
I was honestly surprised Garrett didn't win. I don't have anything against Ramon, but he only had (I think) 19 wins outside of New York this year, and finished 3rd behind Johnny V and Javier at the biggest meet in Saratoga. You have to tip your hat to the number of races he won, though, and winning the earnings title is always impressive.

The reasons I thought Garrett should have won were obviously his sublime performances on BC weekend - Not only did he ride injured, but none of his winners were the favorite, all returning double digits to win; his number of Grade 1 victories (12-5) compared to Ramon; his earnings per start, which were off the charts; like Dominguez, the fact he achieves the success he does without riding for a big barn, he rides some for Pletcher, but he's clearly second behind Johnny, and doesn't have Frankel/Juddmonte anymore, and throw in his riding title at Keeneland during the spring meet for good measure.

Also if we're throwing in "good deeds," I thought he handled the situation with Lookin At Lucky about as well as could be handled, as well as the deal with Mike Maker this fall at Keeneland.

JustRalph
01-19-2011, 02:30 AM
wow......... amazing thread

David-LV
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Calvin had no place on the short list. If anyone prefers him to Gomez, Dominguez or Johnny V they are simply not a serious fan. I wanted to say "player", but threads like this do not include many who bet.

Agreed, I don't think that Calvin even belongs on a long list if there is one.
He is just an average jock who got lucky an won a few big races.
If you are trying to use him as a betting angle you will go broke real quick.
Outside of Churchill Downs he is a fish out of water. I remember Saratoga a few years ago when he could not get to the winners circle in a two horse race. He is just average and that is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Greyfox
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
:lol: That face was somethin' to see!

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20101105/capt.048cb22c375647bfb24f8916070b1d18-90fc348734684f33bbc074d5b8c808e1-0.jpg.

A picture says a 1000 words.

TommyCh
01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Eclipse Awards are usually given out to the very best in each category. Occasionally mistakes are made and it become a popularity contest but not too often.

You mean like 2010 HOY?

Borel needs to beat Mayweather first.

David-LV
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
You mean like 2010 HOY?

Borel needs to beat Mayweather first.

I don't think he could beat Mayweather's sister.

_________
David-LV

Market Mover
01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20101105/capt.048cb22c375647bfb24f8916070b1d18-90fc348734684f33bbc074d5b8c808e1-0.jpg.

A picture says a 1000 words.

He shows this very tenacity when on a dirt oval that's similar to Churchill.

How similar is the CD configuration to Oaklawn Park?

igiveupregistering
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM

The Eclipse is for jock with TOP :bang: earnings and alot of wins in stakes races.

Borel only wins at CD :lol: and is 24th on the top jockey list...hardly an eclipse-eligible record. And it is not "good" for your career to look like a maniac on TV.

Jackal
01-20-2011, 12:05 AM
If I had a horse racing where Calvin Borel does well, I would name him first call. There are only a handful of tracks where I could give any of the finalists first
call.

Borel has a great work ethic. I would rather have a jockey that will fight to defend himself and my horse. Run Dominguez over and all he will do is threaten the offending jockey. Yelling is a strong deterrent. Yah right! Gomez will defend himself but he is lost outside of CA.

David-LV
01-20-2011, 12:16 AM
If I had a horse racing where Calvin Borel does well, I would name him first call. There are only a handful of tracks where I could give any of the finalists first
call.

Borel has a great work ethic. I would rather have a jockey that will fight to defend himself and my horse. Run Dominguez over and all he will do is threaten the offending jockey. Yelling is a strong deterrent. Yah right! Gomez will defend himself but he is lost outside of CA.

Are we talking about race riding in this thread, or street fighting ???:confused:

________
David-LV

Learned Hand35
01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
This thread is hilarious on a number of levels.

Nice piece of satire OP.