PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Let's move to Camden NJ, No Cops No Firefighters!

JustRalph
01-18-2011, 01:27 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/17/news/economy/camden_police_layoffs/index.htm?hpt=T2

"Struggling to close a $26.5 million budget gap, the city with the second highest crime rate in the nation is laying off 163 police officers. That's nearly 44% of the force.

And Camden will also lose 60 of its 215 firefighters. Some people with desk jobs will be demoted and reassigned to the streets.

The mayor's office says that the cuts will not affect public safety. "

cj's dad
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/17/news/economy/camden_police_layoffs/index.htm?hpt=T2

"Struggling to close a $26.5 million budget gap, the city with the second highest crime rate in the nation is laying off 163 police officers. That's nearly 44% of the force.

And Camden will also lose 60 of its 215 firefighters. Some people with desk jobs will be demoted and reassigned to the streets.

The mayor's office says that the cuts will not affect public safety. "

The cuts cannot affect something that never existed; Camden NJ, one of Americas most violent cities.

pandy
01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
This is typical Union greed and incompetence, they refused to negotiate. When you drive past Camden going over the Ben Franklin Bridge it looks like the poor sections in the Bahamas, the houses look like they're falling apart.

cj's dad
01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
This is typical Union greed and incompetence, they refused to negotiate. When you drive past Camden going over the Ben Franklin Bridge it looks like the poor sections in the Bahamas, the houses look like they're falling apart.

And, pray tell, whose fault is that ???

Could it possibly be the fault of those who have chosen to have children out of wedlock and live off of the Gubmints dole for their entire lives or are these poor unfortunate souls the victims of "Social Engineering" ???

mostpost
01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Where does it say that the union refused to negotiate? Try reading what it says, not what you want it to say. :bang: "Failed to negotiate a compromise" means just that. There were negotiations but they failed to achieve their goals. I know that your definition of compromise is that labor gives up everything and management gives up nothing.

I remember the outrage here several months ago when New Jersey Democrats tried to raise taxes on millionaires. That $600M would have paid for a lot of poice officers and fire fighters.

The city is asking the employees to shoulder all the burden. The people who are least able to afford it are asked to do the most; to do everything. God forbid we ask the poor mistreated millionaires to do anything, much less their fair share.
Just exactly what would satisfy you. Would you be happy when city employees got no salary? Maybe they could work for a bowl of gruel and a pint of water. :bang: :bang:

Tom
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Hey! Let's move to Camden NJ, No Cops No Firefighters!

.....no mailmen?

pandy
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Mostpost, the failure of the Union to compromise resulted in a massive loss of jobs. During a recession you have to just try to keep your job. We're not talking about working at McDonalds, firemen and police in New Jersey are well paid and have outstanding benefits. The mayor of Camden was asking these union workers to pay into their health care, and/or take a salary freeze, these were not unreasonable requests during a severe budget crisis. But, the union failed to budge, as usual, and now they lost their jobs.

delayjf
01-19-2011, 12:06 AM
That $600M would have paid for a lot of poice officers and fire fighters.

The millionare tax didn't work in MD or NY, why do you think it would work in NJ?

mostpost
01-19-2011, 12:21 AM
.....no mailmen?

If there were no mailmen, who would tear up your Simulcast Weekly? We provide the extra service others don't.

mostpost
01-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Mostpost, the failure of the Union to compromise resulted in a massive loss of jobs. During a recession you have to just try to keep your job. We're not talking about working at McDonalds, firemen and police in New Jersey are well paid and have outstanding benefits. The mayor of Camden was asking these union workers to pay into their health care, and/or take a salary freeze, these were not unreasonable requests during a severe budget crisis. But, the union failed to budge, as usual, and now they lost their jobs.

I read that the union offered concessions. The story did not say what the response of the city was. If the city had the attitude that it was all or nothing, then the city is partially responsible for the layoffs. In another story on the council meeting at which the cuts were voted on, a union official voiced the opinion that, even if the union had agreed to the city's demands, the number of layoffs would not have changed substantially. The story emphasized that no one on the city council disputed this fact.

There's a lot more to this issue than a recalcitrant union. In the last thirty years, Camden has lost all of its manufacturing. ALL. Homes are being abandoned so rapidly that they can't be boarded up. Christie has slashed state aid to cities. Towns like Camden, actually all NEW jERSEY towns, which relied on this funding, now have to do without.

nijinski
01-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Newark , aka as the car jacking capitol of state has also lost a large
percent of their police officers. The crime rate is likely to go up there as well.
Christie may want to go to Disney to stay pretty soon.

JustRalph
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
The city is asking the employees to shoulder all the burden. The people who are least able to afford it are asked to do the most; to do everything.
Bullshit! 47% of all Americans pay no federal income tax. Where do you think those "least able to afford it" fall?

God forbid we ask the poor mistreated millionaires to do anything, much less their fair share.

They already pay 86 % of all Income taxes. You don't think that is "their fair share?

Let the damn city collapse. Then throw out the current government and put in a Conservative Government to rebuild. Then I will be happy. You asked......

newtothegame
01-19-2011, 03:43 AM
If there were no mailmen, who would tear up your Simulcast Weekly? We provide the extra service others don't.

Admission is the first step to recovery :lol:

newtothegame
01-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Or, How about Detroit where schools will be closing unless aid comes.....?????

Detroit May Close Half of Its Schools to Pay for Union Benefits:

A report from the Detroit News Monday suggested (http://detnews.com/article/20110112/SCHOOLS/101120356/Without-aid--DPS-may-close-half-of-its-schools) that without government aid, the city of Detroit will be forced to close down nearly half of the city’s public schools in the next two years. Additionally, the paper warns that average high school class sizes will swell to 62 students by the following year.

These startling statistics were laid out in a deficit-reduction plan filed with the state of Michigan by the city’s Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb. Bobb’s role is working to slash the $327 million deficit the Detroit school district has accrued over the years.

According to the Detroit News, Detroit Public Schools considered filing for bankruptcy in 2009 but declined. In the past year alone, debt in the district has increased by more than $100 million, brought on by a “mix of revenue declines in property taxes, reduced state aid, declining enrollment and an unplanned staffing surge this past fall.”

While Bobb and DPS administrators have a lot to account for, noticeably absent from the discussion is the role of the teachers unions.

As students suffer amidst increasing classroom sizes and declining school choices, the district’s teachers stand to earn higher salaries. The city’s contract with the Detroit Federation of Teachers requires payments for teachers whose class sizes exceed specified maximums. So while Bobb demands increased class sizes to save the district money, the district is simultaneously estimating the move will create $10 million in additional costs to pay teachers’ oversize class pay over the next four years alone.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/detroit-may-close-half-of-its-schools-to-pay-for-union-benefits/

Tom
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
If there were no mailmen, who would tear up your
Simulcast Weekly? We provide the extra service others don't.

Touche!

mostpost
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
God forbid we ask the poor mistreated millionaires to do anything, much less their fair share.

They already pay 86 % of all Income taxes. You don't think that is "their fair share?

Millionaires do notpay 86 % of all income taxes. 7% of Americans are millionaires. The closest information I could find is that the top 5% controls 59% of the wealth and pays 38.4% of taxes. A far cry from 86%.

http://www.osjspm.org/101_taxes.aspx

What percentage of federal taxes are paid by the least wealthy 60% of Americans?
The least wealthy 60 percent of Americans have less than 5 percent of the wealth in the U.S. but pay more than 14 percent of federal taxes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
? What percentage of taxes are paid by the wealthiest 5% of Americans?
The wealthiest 5 percent have 59% of the wealth and pay 38.4 percent of federal taxes. The wealthiest 1 percent have over 38 percent of the wealth and pay 24.8 percent of federal taxes. These households have an average wealth of $10.2 million and pay only 3.5 percent of their wealth in taxes. By way of comparison, the bottom 40 percent of taxpayers have an average net wealth of $1,100 and pay 163 percent of their net wealth in taxes.

The bolded sentence confirms your 86%. But it refers to the top 40% of Americans, not to the top 7%, or Millionaires. Also to be noted is that the top 40% controls 95% of the country's wealth. Yet, they pay only 86% of the taxes. By contrast the bottom 60% controls 5% of the wealth and pays 14% of the taxes.

So, to answer your question, NO I do not think that is their fair share. And no reasonable person would think that it is. Of course if you have spent your life being propagandized by the right wing lie machine, it may be difficult for you to be a reasonable person.

Pell Mell
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I read that the union offered concessions. The story did not say what the response of the city was. If the city had the attitude that it was all or nothing, then the city is partially responsible for the layoffs. In another story on the council meeting at which the cuts were voted on, a union official voiced the opinion that, even if the union had agreed to the city's demands, the number of layoffs would not have changed substantially. The story emphasized that no one on the city council disputed this fact.

There's a lot more to this issue than a recalcitrant union. In the last thirty years, Camden has lost all of its manufacturing. ALL. Homes are being abandoned so rapidly that they can't be boarded up. Christie has slashed state aid to cities. Towns like Camden, actually all NEW Jersey towns, which relied on this funding, now have to do without.

Have you ever been to Camden? Another 2,000 cops wouldn't help that shit hole.
Have you ever seen who lives there? They have earned what they are getting.
And the state built the state Aquarium there; like anybody would actually risk their life to see it.
And yeah, I lived in NJ for 70 yrs and have seen most of the state go down the toilet.:(

NJ Stinks
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Have you ever been to Camden? Another 2,000 cops wouldn't help that shit hole.
Have you ever seen who lives there? They have earned what they are getting.
And the state built the state Aquarium there; like anybody would actually risk their life to see it.
And yeah, I lived in NJ for 70 yrs and have seen most of the state go down the toilet.:(

Camden has a population of less than 80,000. Suggesting another 2,000 cops won't help is silly.

Hey, Pell Mell, were you or were you not for the surge in Iraq? :confused:

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/nj/camden.htm

Pell Mell
01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Camden has a population of less than 80,000. Suggesting another 2,000 cops won't help is silly.

I was totally against going into Iraq from jump street. Dumbest move we ever made unless Afgan. is a little dumber.:bang:

Pell Mell
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM

You can't control the uncontrollable so adding cops won't help with that scum.

NJ Stinks
01-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I was totally against going into Iraq from jump street. Dumbest move we ever made unless Afgan. is a little dumber.:bang:

I'm right with you. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Pell Mell
01-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm right with you. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

That's probably the only thing we might agree on. I suppose I just don't have the empathy for the scum bags that you have.

skate
01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
bunch of sweetmeat ditos, if ya ask me.

I'm happy to say that i'll not be around when you peple get old enough to Vote.:)

Problem is, when you kids didnt stand up for yourself in the school yard, you didn't learn how to deal-out, self-defense.

Hey hey hey...yo mammy and daddy also had a problem with voting;) and you ask Skatespeare to lend a hand:faint: