PDA

View Full Version : Question about santa anita

sonnyp
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
a friend just asked me a question about santa anita that i couldn't answer and i am thowing out to you guys. i know nothing about twitter and/or santa anita.

he watches on HRTV, and apparently there is a guy named tom quigley who gives paddock observations on every race, every day at santa anita. my friend said hrtv mentioned the guy and something about twitter. my friend wanted to get his observations and asked me about how he could do this. i "googled" tom quigley at santa anita and the track's web site came up.

i couldn't find anything on tom quigley, specifically, but did see a "t" twitter emblem on the sight. does my friend have to sign up for twitter on the santa anita web site to get quigley's paddock observations ? if not, how would one get this guy's pre-race, paddock observation's ? any info will be appreciated. thanks (please skip the comedy and sarcasm)

DeanT
01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Anyone can follow him here:

http://twitter.com/quigleys_corner

sonnyp
01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
dean,

thanks very, very much. i will forward this to my friend. again, thank you

rrpic6
01-17-2011, 09:37 PM
If you see Tom Quigley, tell him he still owes me about 6 issues of Horseplayer Magazine.

RR

sonnyp
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Anyone can follow him here:

http://twitter.com/quigleys_corner

now i'm curious. first post tim today in 10 minutes but the last activity on what appears at the above link was 17 hrs. ago.

do i need to join his twitter account or will his current posts come up here ?

toussaud
01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
join the twitter i would think
but if you go to calracing.com and watch the live video, they post his paddock picks in the track feed.

sonnyp
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
thanks

InsideThePylons-MW
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Most of these people that do the paddock observations usually give out best bets or picks before the card starts for the day.

Why is it that at least 99% of the time, the horse or horses that they pick early always look "great" in the paddock when that race comes up?

When I went to the races everyday...If I loved a horse going into the card, that horse looked "great" about 25% of the time....good enough to bet about 50% of the time and not what I wanted to see about the other 25% of the time.

How do these people bat 99% great?

DeanT
01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
When I went to the races everyday...If I loved a horse going into the card, that horse looked "great" about 25% of the time....good enough to bet about 50% of the time and not what I wanted to see about the other 25% of the time.

One of my pet peeves and I have a hard time shaking it as a bettor - having a gold star 6-1ML play and then seeing him in the PP or paddock and you know he is off. You wait days for it in anticipation of taking home the brinks truck and boom, bad news.

I used to still play the horse, or cut down on my bet size. After a year of it, I sat on my hands, or bet another horse.

Stillriledup
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
One of my pet peeves and I have a hard time shaking it as a bettor - having a gold star 6-1ML play and then seeing him in the PP or paddock and you know he is off. You wait days for it in anticipation of taking home the brinks truck and boom, bad news.

I used to still play the horse, or cut down on my bet size. After a year of it, I sat on my hands, or bet another horse.

I'm the same way, if my horse doesnt look good, depending on WHY he doesnt look good, i totally alter my bet.

First time fronts is a big negative for me.....i know that some trainers might put fronts on a sound horse to get a better price or to avoid him being claimed, but i've found that most times, the horse needs the fronts and something is wrong, i havent found too many examples of fronts going on and the horse racing as well as he did in his previous start.

Paseana
01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Tom Quigley did point out the winner on the San Pedro on Monday, Indian Winter. He mentioned the horse's layoff, but then said "he looks ready to roll".

He was, too. He won quite professionally by a measured half-length, and paid $22 bucks!

Very nice indeed!

toussaud
01-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm the same way, if my horse doesnt look good, depending on WHY he doesnt look good, i totally alter my bet.

First time fronts is a big negative for me.....i know that some trainers might put fronts on a sound horse to get a better price or to avoid him being claimed, but I've found that most times, the horse needs the fronts and something is wrong, i haven't found too many examples of fronts going on and the horse racing as well as he did in his previous start.what i have found, is that like handicapping there is nothing set in stone about looks either. some people will tolerate some things (lathering up for instance), some won't. some like to see a fit horse, some dont' pay it no mind. it's very subjective.

lol, queue the even money choice winning the paddock award in race 7 (although I admit that's who I came up with as well)

Bruddah
01-20-2011, 10:32 PM
A must view by any Handicapper wanting to know and understand when a horse will be competitive, must watch A fit and ready Racehorse by Bonnie Ledbetter. Especially, if you are attending and playing a live meet.

If you don't have this knowledge, your betting arsenal is full of wet powder. Because of the shift from live track play to Simulcast action, most younger Handicappers don't have a clue. They simply don't know what to look for and can't see it on the monitiors. Amost impossible to pick up on at Simulcasts. Most old salts want to see them saddled and watch them warmed up? Especially, on the backside before they're loaded in the gates.

Get her DVD and learn something about the animals you're betting all that money on. You will be doing yourself a favor. :ThmbUp:

You can find it at Gamblers Book Store in Las Vegas. Available on line and worth every penny. If you don't learn enough to pay for the small investment, then the only other advice I can give you is, STOP PLAYING THE HORSES!

DJofSD
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Good stuff Bruddah.

I'd say that some of the important indicators can be seen on a TV monitor. Not that it is always easy but they can be seen. You have to look quickly and take advantage of every shot the camera man and producer give you.

But by the same token, things that can not be seen are things like leg sweat, being nervous enough there is sweat dripping from the belly, some of the more stuble muscles being developed or not and even the look in the horses eyes.

Oh yes -- Bonnie's book is with Chris McCarron.

toussaud
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Good stuff Bruddah.

I'd say that some of the important indicators can be seen on a TV monitor. Not that it is always easy but they can be seen. You have to look quickly and take advantage of every shot the camera man and producer give you.

But by the same token, things that can not be seen are things like leg sweat, being nervous enough there is sweat dripping from the belly, some of the more stuble muscles being developed or not and even the look in the horses eyes.

Oh yes -- Bonnie's book is with Chris McCarron. And I will add, some tracks do a much better job than others, and why I am very picky about tracks I play. I mean I'm not a pretty pony guy but I mean, my gosh it is horse racing. Like to know what I am plucking my money down on.

One day I am going to make a pretty detailed about every track in America and how I critique their showing of the post parade, as I have it for everyone, and give a grade out to each one.

Ironically, Tampa Bay, and Santa Anita of the meets going now, are better than anyone else.

Bruddah
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Good stuff Bruddah.

Oh yes -- Bonnie's book is with Chris McCarron.

The screen shots are usually very quick and you can't miss a one. Then again, they usually don't show every horse in the race. Tracks should be made to show the post parade at least. Even then, it would be hard to see a dappled horse unless the sun hit it just right. To many important indicators missed on TV.

I am always suprised, even at a live meet, how many bettors don't have a clue at what they are seeing.

Thanks on the Chris McCarron reminder.

JustRalph
01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Don't forget, if you are going to monitor twitter feeds you should monitor our own "TLG" Andy Serling

He doesn't tweet on every race, but he does put out some informative and interesting stuff from time to time. I follow him, even when I am not playing, and you can see all of his tweets in order whenever you want, so it makes it easy to refer back to old info.

follow him on twitter via @andyserling

http://twitter.com/#!/andyserling

toussaud
01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
A must view by any Handicapper wanting to know and understand when a horse will be competitive, must watch A fit and ready Racehorse by Bonnie Ledbetter. Especially, if you are attending and playing a live meet.

If you don't have this knowledge, your betting arsenal is full of wet powder. Because of the shift from live track play to Simulcast action, most younger Handicappers don't have a clue. They simply don't know what to look for and can't see it on the monitiors. Amost impossible to pick up on at Simulcasts. Most old salts want to see them saddled and watch them warmed up? Especially, on the backside before they're loaded in the gates.

Get her DVD and learn something about the animals you're betting all that money on. You will be doing yourself a favor. :ThmbUp:

You can find it at Gamblers Book Store in Las Vegas. Available on line and worth every penny. If you don't learn enough to pay for the small investment, then the only other advice I can give you is, STOP PLAYING THE HORSES!

I was thinking about this post last night as I lay down asleep, and this is a good point. I started thinking about the two horse racing networks, and we have seen them from inception to what they are now. We went through our phase of "hey guys, dude, there is a channel.. that shows nothing but horse racing!!!" to "man why don't they show this track or that track instead of this track" to "god these people are annoying"

I think the next phase you are going to see, is alot similar to what you see on the Australian horse racing feed, and a DRASTIC reduction in the amount of races shown on both networks, who aren't going to focus so much on tracks, as much as races, for the reason above. If the point of the network is to induce wagering, neither show does that, and won't, until they are more than simply live horse racing replay shows.

Australian feed, does not matter what is going on lol, they are going to show 2 tracks, at 10 to 12 minute intervals, give you time to watch them leave the paddock and gallop, full post parade etc. I don't think you will see that per say, but if I had to guess within 3-5 years, you are going to see the whole we have to show all the races live mantra gone, and more of cherry picking 30 or so races a day from around the country and showing them from 12 MTP to post time.

Which brings up another point: you can almost, draw a direct correlation, from the beginnings of horse racing network television, to the decline of wagering in horse racing. HRTV kicked off in 2002, that was about the peak time of horse racing the last 2 decades. In 2011 wagering is about half of what it was in 2002, yet reaches a much wider audience

I am not saying, that hey these need to be abolished, but they sure dont' do anything to actually entice wagering. The only difference now being I can watch a race in better resolution on my TV than on my monitor. Doubt any serious horse player who is playing with any real money, watches HRTV or TVG other than to see the race live, then go back to watching track feeds, which is exactly what I do.