PDA

View Full Version : Data file change?

jk3521
01-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a piece of software which I have been using since 1999 and have been using Bris single data files. All of a sudden for the last month or so the program has been unable to unzip the files, yet when I import a file from the past I have no problem. Has there been some change in the files lately that has stopped my program from importing the files? I guess I should try contacting Bris. I hope they can help. I should explain that I used to use TSN files and have been renaming the Bris files to work with my software.

GameTheory
01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a piece of software which I have been using since 1999 and have been using Bris single data files. All of a sudden for the last month or so the program has been unable to unzip the files, yet when I import a file from the past I have no problem. Has there been some change in the files lately that has stopped my program from importing the files? I guess I should try contacting Bris. I hope they can help. I should explain that I used to use TSN files and have been renaming the Bris files to work with my software.Try unzipping it manually and loading it that way. If the program requires zip files, unzip and rezip yourself and try that version. There are some newer zip protocols that older programs can't unzip (still called .zip).

gm10
01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a piece of software which I have been using since 1999 and have been using Bris single data files. All of a sudden for the last month or so the program has been unable to unzip the files, yet when I import a file from the past I have no problem. Has there been some change in the files lately that has stopped my program from importing the files? I guess I should try contacting Bris. I hope they can help. I should explain that I used to use TSN files and have been renaming the Bris files to work with my software.

maybe try another unzipper?
7-zip has a command line version f.e.

cj
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM

Last time I tried that I was slapped.

GameTheory
01-16-2011, 10:13 PM
7-zip has a command line version f.e.Sounds like the program has a built-in unzipper so that might not matter. If he can determine if the zip format is the problem (and the files have to be zipped), then a conversion program could be made to put them in an older zip format. If the data files themselves just don't work anymore, there must have been a column change or something.

Or is it possible there is a date problem like DRF did with formulator? Is it only 2011 files that won't work and this problem appeared on Jan 1?

jk3521
01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes, the program does have its own un-zipper and I tried the BRIS unzipper, no luck. I haven't heard anything from the BRIS tech, should I not hold my breath waiting to hear from them? The BRIS un-zipper is dated 1999 and so is mine.Probably the same one.

gm10
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Sounds like the program has a built-in unzipper so that might not matter. If he can determine if the zip format is the problem (and the files have to be zipped), then a conversion program could be made to put them in an older zip format. If the data files themselves just don't work anymore, there must have been a column change or something.

Or is it possible there is a date problem like DRF did with formulator? Is it only 2011 files that won't work and this problem appeared on Jan 1?

OK I thought he was talking about home-grown software.

Niko
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I use winzip and then download the info into a program I have that was written for me many years back, no problems on my end? Uses a lot of date in bris but not everything.

ranchwest
01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Last time I tried that I was slapped.

You were supposed to buy her a drink.

cj
01-18-2011, 12:46 AM
You were supposed to buy her a drink.

I did, but that only made my wife more mad.