PDA

View Full Version : attention pet owners!

so.cal.fan
10-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I have a rat terrier that has had two seizures.
I just found out that the Jasmine plants in my yard may very well be the cause.
Please check out this site, it could save your pet a serious illness, even death.

http://www.colobeaglerescue.org/PDF/items%20poisonous%20to%20dogs.PDF

lsbets
10-08-2003, 06:30 PM
thanks, i have no jasmine, but i have 5 dogs, so i will make sure i have none. I appreciate the info.

so.cal.fan
10-09-2003, 10:51 AM
It's a good idea to check on the internet any plants you have in your yard........if your dog tends to eat leaves.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2128/

lsbets
10-09-2003, 04:06 PM
What if your dogs tend to eat patio furniture, siding, window screens, etc............?:) :)

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2003, 05:16 PM
While we are on this subject, I could use a little advice about my dog.

Butkus is a big old boy. Mom was a Rotweiler/lab and dad was a Saint Bernard/Great Dane. He is just a cute/cuddly black lab-look alike that weighs in at a svelte 211. (He's lost 6 pounds in the last 2 months.)

Anyway, he is 12, and feeling his age a bit. He's got a touch of arthritis, some cataracts, and more than his share of fatty tumors, but all-in-all still tail-wagging happy.

Age has created some interesting (and often unpleasant) new behaviors in him, but we have accepted that this is part of the aging process.

Here is my newest problem: For the last two or three months he has become my shadow, following me around the house, into the office, upstairs, downstairs, to the bathroom, whatever. It is kind of cute, but has gotten progressively worse. Yesterday he started a new version of this - I call it "being close." Not only does he want to be in the same room with me, he needs to be touched often.

Note that he has never been bashful - he makes his desires known. When he needs attention of some kind, he shoves his nose into my palm continually until I ask him to "show me" what he wants. He then leads me to the door, the food dish, his leash or whatever. Since my office is home base for him he actually DEMANDS that I come into the office sometimes!

Obviously, he has needs and I am the only one that can meet them. But I can't stop working because my giant dog wants to lay across my feet (that is where he is now).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Has anyone else ever experienced this with a dog?

Dave

lsbets
10-09-2003, 05:23 PM
i'd say he's feeling lonely in his old age - with a puppy i've used a cuddly toy to help them get over the seperation from their mothers, but i don't know if that would work here. I solved a lot of problems with my first dog by getting dog # 2, the only problem is then i got 3-5 (I have some land, so only one lives in the house all the time, I'm not like one of those crazy old ladies with 400 cats). Maybe a companion would help, but that might not fit your lifestyle. I will say that house training is much easier when you already have a house trained dog around, but if you were going to go that route, i would get one without too much energy, because while the old guy might want a friend, he might have trouble keeping up.

WINMANWIN
10-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Dave, What a nice friend and companion you have there.:)
Give the old boy a break, and Enjoy him, As age is catching up with him. If he gets on your nerves, Just tell Him :confused:
I guess, He enjoys ponies also, Maybe, he's familiar with all the track announcers now, and gets turned ON, When he hears the call.......;)

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Win,

LOL - If he ever makes the connection from horse RACING to horseMEAT he'll have to become a vegetarian.

Isbets,

Yeah, he has been a great freind. I am choosing to see it like an old parent. He was my protector for years... guess it's my turn.

I think I will try the pet toy. He has never had one. Might not know what to do with it. Too bad they don't have catnip for dogs... would it be dognip? Anyway, he could stay high all the time. <G>

That reminds me of a crazy old in-law that I used to have... I used to have a couple of cats and she saw them playing with catnip one day and got upset with me because she said I was permitting "drug abuse" in my house. (Finally had to let her go.)

Dave

BillW
10-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Dave,

You could always buy him a big stuffed Dave :p

Bill

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
BillW,

They don't come in that size. <G>

Dave

so.cal.fan
10-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Dog is God spelled backwards.
Dave:
Your old boy sounds delightful! He is just getting co-dependent in his old age........he loves you. Probably more than anyone.
It is a PRIVILEGE to own a dog. They are our guardian angels.

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2003, 07:00 PM
>>he loves you. Probably more than anyone.<<

hmmm... a point I have heard before.

sq764
10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
We have a 2 YO Lab and we have a major separation anxiety issue.. He must follow one of us to every room, upstairs and downstairs. If you take a shower, he lays against the door in the hall. If you go outside, he sits at the door staring at you.

What's become a bigger problem is in the morning before work.. My wife leaves at about 7:30 and I don't have to leave until 8:30, so he and I are in the bedroom when she leaves. When she closes the door to the bedroom and leaves, he freaks out.. He barks like nuts and its very annoying..

When I go to work, he goes right downstair to the basement with no problem, as he knows the routine.. Its just the separation that is irritating.

Any ideas??

lsbets
10-09-2003, 10:28 PM
sq764,

There are two options here that I see, one easy, and one not so hard, but more time consuming.

First, the time consuming one, is to train him not to bark when he shouldn't. Dogs understand tone more so than words. Pick a word, mine is "shut up" and say it in a loud, deep tone when he barks. At some point, he should quiet down and look at you. When he does that, praise him in a soothing tone and pet him. It won't be the magic cure right away, but does work. The first time that my wife spent the night at my house, my dogs woke us up in the morning barking outside my window. I yelled "shut up" from in the bed. My wife looked at me, and said, "Yeah right, like that will work". I told her to listen. They stopped barking, and ever since then, she has thought I'm the man (okay, sometimes she thinks that, but you get the point).

The other option is to get a bark collar and zap him when he barks at the door. That should work. I've never used a bark collar, but I'm thinking of buying my neighbor one. Their dog barks all night, while mine only bark when they are telling me that someone is coming to the house.

I am not a dog trainer by by any means, but I have found it to be pretty easy. Using the right tone of voice is the key. How many times have you seen a couple with the dog where the man is firm and the dog listens, but the woman can't get the dog to do anything? That is usually because she uses a sweet voice and asks the dog to do things.

I hope that helps, I'm interested to see any other ideas people might have.

sq764
10-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, option 1 sounds like a plan..

I am against using an electric collar, or even a citron collar.. I just have an issue with that (as well as doggie prozac)..

I am not a tree hugger or anything like that, as we use a choke collar and often utilize the muzzle.. But i think the shocking is over the line..

lsbets
10-09-2003, 11:20 PM
It depends. Like I said, I have never used a bark collar, but we do have the invisible fence, and I think that is the greatest thing in the world. It took the dogs about 2 days to learn their boundaries, and now they don't ever get zapped, because they don't go where they shouldn't. I even let the batteries die and forget to replace them, because they don't really need it anymore. Everyone I know is amazed at how well they are behaved.

But, I agree, I would try option one before going to option two, however, not everyone is like you and is willing to put the time in thats needed. I guess thats why so many dogs end up in shelters.

sq764
10-09-2003, 11:47 PM
How much did the electic fence run you? We have a 150x85' yard and the fence could get pricey

BillW
10-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by sq764
How much did the electic fence run you? We have a 150x85' yard and the fence could get pricey

SQ,

You don't need to fence in the whole yard. An area appropriate for the size of the dog would be enough.

Bill

lsbets
10-09-2003, 11:54 PM
i think it was a little over a grand an acre, but i'm not sure. use the company if you get it, they send out a trainer and guarantee it. i know people who did the install it yurself version, and it doesn't work nearly as well. the company is invisiblefence.com. (for anyone interested - i have zero affiliation with them, i just think it is a superior product and i have received superior service - something pretty rare, so i like to pass it on when i see it)

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2003, 11:55 PM
"I am against using an electric collar, or even a citron collar.. "

What is a "Citron" collar?

Also, I realize that we live in coyote country but be aware that yuu don't want to "electric fence" your dog in an unfenced area if he can be attacked by predators. Your dog gets trapped and cannot run from the predators.

Dave

Boris
10-10-2003, 07:54 AM
SQ & Dave,

Just in case you have not thought to check with your vet, please do. My brother is a vet and I have been amazed at how much he knows regarding animal behavior beyond their normal health. I would think in both your cases, your vet may have some clues for you.

Good Luck

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Boris,

Yes, my vet and I know each other well as the big guy needs to go for monthly check ups now.

He has given good advice in the past.

Thanks for replying.

Dave

so.cal.fan
10-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Dave,

give that "girthy" boy a big hug for so. cal. fan!:)

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2003, 01:17 PM
SCF,

Actually, he is not that "girthy." In fact, he is way less so than I am. He's just huge. When he sits next to the dining room table he looks down on the table. (That is why he doesn't get to sit next to the table. <G>)

A few of the people on this board have met "Butkus the Wonderdog," as we call him. He is truly a one-of-a-kind guy.

He talks... says "I love you" for food. No food - no talk. It is that simple.

I never did figure out how my son ever taught him that.

Dave

so.cal.fan
10-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Talking Butkus!
I sure believe it........BECAUSE......my little rat terrier says "I love you" to our son and our best friend. She says it so clear that my son wants to make a video of her and send it to Animal Planet.

For you sceptics reading this.......I heard a small dog say several words very clearly.......back in the 1960's. (no I was not on drugs).

;)