PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita adding Sand to the Track Surface!

andymays
01-16-2011, 12:11 PM
According to Mike Willman on the Roger Stein show this morning they are adding sand to the track. The have done it twice after the races lightly. On Tuesday the will add a significant amount of sand to the track. That's the way I took it.

rubicon55
01-16-2011, 12:14 PM
According to Mike Willman on the Roger Stein show this morning they are adding sand to the track. The have done it twice after the races lightly. On Tuesday the will add a significant amount of sand to the track. That's the way I took it.

Andy, do you have an opinions as to why? Drainage? Injuries?

andymays
01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Andy, do you have an opinions as to why? Drainage? Injuries?

It's playing too fast. Too many track records and a speed bias.

There have been some vanned off early in the meet but I don't think any have over the last few days. It is my understanding that they are not career ending injuries for the most part. I think there has only been one or two fatalities I'm not sure.

When they put Pro Ride in they had three fatalities in the first week.

SoCal Trainers Knock Pro-Ride Surface

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/48696/socal-trainers-knock-pro-ride-surface

Excerpt:

After the occurrence of five breakdowns in the initial five days of racing at Santa Anita, including three fatalities so far, trainer Darrell Vienna said he walked the track with fellow conditioners Mark Glatt and Clifford Sise Jan. 3 following training hours.

“It was horrific,” Vienna told The Blood-Horse Jan. 7. “There were holes, it was uneven, and it was dangerous. Given, it was at the end of training hours, but it still shouldn’t have been like that.”

anotherCAfan
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the posts, Andy. You're correct in your guesses.

In talking to some people at SA today, I take it that the track is being altered tomorrow.

I would think the track would be somewhat slower. Most importantly, I hope the track is safer for the horses and jockeys. I also hope that anyone here still betting SA does well with the change. :)

gm10
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
It's playing too fast. Too many track records and a speed bias.

There have been some vanned off early in the meet but I don't think any have over the last few days. It is my understanding that they are not career ending injuries for the most part. I think there has only been one or two fatalities I'm not sure.

When they put Pro Ride in they had three fatalities in the first week.

SoCal Trainers Knock Pro-Ride Surface

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/48696/socal-trainers-knock-pro-ride-surface

Excerpt:

After the occurrence of five breakdowns in the initial five days of racing at Santa Anita, including three fatalities so far, trainer Darrell Vienna said he walked the track with fellow conditioners Mark Glatt and Clifford Sise Jan. 3 following training hours.

“It was horrific,” Vienna told The Blood-Horse Jan. 7. “There were holes, it was uneven, and it was dangerous. Given, it was at the end of training hours, but it still shouldn’t have been like that.”

'EIGHTH HORSE VANNED OFF IN EIGHT PROGRAMS'
'At this time last year, there were zero horses vanned off on the synthetic surface.' (Jan 7)

classhandicapper
01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Maybe all the problems with the horses is not the various surfaces. Maybe it's just the horses.

The_Knight_Sky
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Maybe all the problems with the horses is not the various surfaces.

Maybe it's just the horses.

And maybe it's the complaining parties who continue to utilize
steroids, medications (legal and illegal), hyperbaric chambers, etc.

When oh when, will there be regular sweeps http://i52.tinypic.com/2mzk1lu.gif of the backstretches?

Fwizard
01-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Maybe all the problems with the horses is not the various surfaces. Maybe it's just the horses.

I believe we have a winner!!

njcurveball
01-17-2011, 10:02 PM
The owners of Santa Anita were told if they changed to dirt, the horses would flood the entry box.

They did that and found less entries. They talked to upper Management who said that since dirt brings horses, more dirt would bring more horses. :bang:

mabred
01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
maybe sand will bring more horses!!

can't hurt.

ma

Tom
01-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe they should pour some sugar on it! See if it attracts more horses.

Robert Goren
01-18-2011, 10:05 PM
That Spainish (or is it Chilian, I forget) must not be any good, if they keep having to add good old American sand to it.;)

FenceBored
01-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Maybe they should pour some sugar on it! See if it attracts more horses.

Horses like Def Leppard?

toussaud
01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
track does seem to be playing alot more to par