So far has about 99% of the show pool.

Tom
01-15-2011, 03:56 PM
New track record.

Market Mover
01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
New track record.

"Big Drama....WOW!"

Here is your next G1 sprinter sensation!

PaceAdvantage
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I love when they dispatch of a challenger like Big Drama ran away from Custom for Carlos in deep stretch....impressive...

redshift1
01-15-2011, 04:02 PM
"Big Drama....WOW!"

Here is your next G1 sprinter sensation!

Custom For Carlos bet heavily late but not good enough

Stillriledup
01-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Deservedly so on that show bet. I thought he had a problem w Carlos turning for home, but he was going to have none of that. Very impressive.

cj
01-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Deservedly so on that show bet. I thought he had a problem w Carlos turning for home, but he was going to have none of that. Very impressive.

Just keep in mind that is the horse Rachel fought with and put away en route to her Preakness win.

sister mikki
01-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Just keep in mind that is the horse Rachel fought with and put away en route to her Preakness win.

Also keep in mind that Big Drama is essentially a sprinter, albeit a really brilliant one . He is now running where he belongs and excelling going short .

He has never won any race over a mile and a sixteenth--the G3 Delta Jackpot at 2 being his best non-sprinting win ...

More than likely his distance aptitude put him away in the Preakness at least as much if not more than Rachel .

No dig on Rachel--at the time to me it was more impressive that she did hold Mine That Bird, who was in the middle of his three race top form cycle , and was clearly suited for the distance.

Stillriledup
01-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Good point.

Im a Huge Rachel fan, i think she's the best female horse who's ever lived, so you don't have to sell me on Rache.

CryingForTheHorses
01-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Big Drama is in the next barn to me.I see him everyday training and walking in the afternoons.The Fawkes barn is a #1 operation.All his people work hard.This horse is the real deal.I love him.Gongrats to David,His asst Don Stetler and all of his crew.Job well done!!

Dahoss9698
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Also keep in mind that Big Drama is essentially a sprinter, albeit a really brilliant one . He is now running where he belongs and excelling going short .

He has never won any race over a mile and a sixteenth--the G3 Delta Jackpot at 2 being his best non-sprinting win ...

More than likely his distance aptitude put him away in the Preakness at least as much if not more than Rachel .

No dig on Rachel--at the time to me it was more impressive that she did hold Mine That Bird, who was in the middle of his three race top form cycle , and was clearly suited for the distance.

You're kind of missing the point. Of course Big Drama is a sprinter. The point isn't that Big Drama has distance limitations. It's that Rachel Alexandra went head to head with a pretty nice sprinter going 9.5 furlongs, through sharp fractions and still had enough to hold off the closers.

thaskalos
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
You're kind of missing the point. Of course Big Drama is a sprinter. The point isn't that Big Drama has distance limitations. It's that Rachel Alexandra went head to head with a pretty nice sprinter going 9.5 furlongs, through sharp fractions and still had enough to hold off the closers.Not to take anything away from Rachel's performance, but it's one thing to go head to head with Big Drama in a 9.5 furlong route...and it's something entirely different to do the same in a sprint.

I know that you know this, of course...

Dahoss9698
01-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Not to take anything away from Rachel's performance, but it's one thing to go head to head with Big Drama in a 9.5 furlong route...and it's something entirely different to do the same in a sprint.

Of course it is. But we seem to be talking about two different things. All I was trying to say is that it was impressive when rachel dueled (through sharp fractions) with a sprinter, put him away and held off the closers.

thaskalos
01-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Of course it is. But we seem to be talking about two different things. All I was trying to say is that it was impressive when rachel dueled (through sharp fractions) with a sprinter, put him away and held off the closers.I agree...it was an eye-opening performance for a 3 year old filly.

Dahoss9698
01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Im a Huge Rachel fan, i think she's the best female horse who's ever lived, so you don't have to sell me on Rache.

Oy vey. You and nikki should get together.

joanied
01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Big Drama is in the next barn to me.I see him everyday training and walking in the afternoons.The Fawkes barn is a #1 operation.All his people work hard.This horse is the real deal.I love him.Gongrats to David,His asst Don Stetler and all of his crew.Job well done!!

I love Big Drama and have since day one...what a race he ran today...track record and did it with style...now they can relax and really enjoy their Awards dinner on Monday night...
McSchell...you wander next door and give that big fella a pat on the neck from me, please...and if you run into Joe Waunsch...give him a pat too:D

sister mikki
01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
You're kind of missing the point. Of course Big Drama is a sprinter. The point isn't that Big Drama has distance limitations. It's that Rachel Alexandra went head to head with a pretty nice sprinter going 9.5 furlongs, through sharp fractions and still had enough to hold off the closers.

Didn't miss the point at all .

Part of the point was that BD does have distance limitations, and as Thaskalos said, it would have been a different story if she did this within his comfort zone and aptitudinal framework .

And I did mention holding off the then genuine closer., which impressed me more.

A better point to " sell " Rachel--who needs no selling, would have been if she had creamed him at 6 or 7 furlongs .

And yes, she did all you said, but I already said that.

toussaud
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
big drama has 2 track records at GP (remember as a 3YO he beat..someone and got DQ'ed but broke the track record doing so). the race right before quality road's Florida Derby

cj
01-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Not to take anything away from Rachel's performance, but it's one thing to go head to head with Big Drama in a 9.5 furlong route...and it's something entirely different to do the same in a sprint.

All I was saying is that many a quality racer has been beaten by dueling a sprinter trying to go long...and she wasn't.

thaskalos
01-15-2011, 09:33 PM
All I was saying is that many a quality racer has been beaten by dueling a sprinter trying to go long...and she wasn't.I agree completely...as I said, it was an eye-opening performance.

Outside post, wide throughout, fast pace...and yet the way she opened up on the field in mid-stretch...I thought it was breathtaking.

I am a serious bettor CJ...but I am also a lover of the game. Nobody appreciates courageous performances more than me.

mountainman
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Our wv derby, in which Big Drama blew a huge lead to a mediocre winner, clearly established that his future was in shorter races. Depite an extremely slow final segment , I was impressed at how the horse kept trying. A more judicious ride would probably have gotten Big Drama home, but Coa had Mine that Bird on the brain, and had obviously determined to put as much space as possible between himself and the declining ky derby winner.

Even beforehand, Fawkes considered his horse a sprinter and came very close to opting instead for Saratoga's Amsterdam. Fawkes is an intriguing guy with a very direct manner offset by a self-deprecating sense of humor. Woolley was a diva, but in all fairness, even after extensive dealings with him, I was never sure he was much more than a mouthpiece.

toussaud
01-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Our wv derby, in which Big Drama blew a huge lead to a mediocre winner, clearly established that his future was in shorter races. Depite an extremely slow final segment , I was impressed at how the horse kept trying. A more judicious ride would probably have gotten Big Drama home, but Coa had Mine that Bird on the brain, and had obviously determined to put as much space as possible between himself and the declining ky derby winner.

Even beforehand, Fawkes considered his horse a sprinter and came very close to opting instead for Saratoga's Amsterdam. Fawkes is an intriguing guy with a very direct manner offset by a self-deprecating sense of humor. Woolley was a diva, but in all fairness, even after extensive dealings with him, I was never sure he was much more than a mouthpiece.
Interesting @ woolley

dylbert
01-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Longtime Big Drama fan here... my icon here has been his Delta Jackpot win photo since 2008.

He has not attempted route of ground since 08/01/2009 - the already much discussed race at Mountaineer. Big Drama spent 9-1/2 months off track between his 2009 and 2010 seasons. In 2010, he became full-time sprinter. He capped that campaign with his BC Sprint victory. Tomorrow he should receive Eclipse award as champion male sprinter.

At 6 furlongs, Big Drama is a machine. I hope I get another opportunity to see him run before his connections retire him.

Do you think he posted an awesome figure today?

Dahoss9698
01-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Do you think he posted an awesome figure today?

119 Beyer. Feels like that might be a bit inflated though.

JustRalph
01-16-2011, 03:55 AM
He looked like he did it easy,,,,,,, that was a great performance.

toussaud
01-16-2011, 09:26 AM
correct me if I am wrong but, hasn't every beyer over 115 for the last 3 years, been at gulfstream park?

Fat Syd
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
correct me if I am wrong but, hasn't every beyer over 115 for the last 3 years, been at gulfstream park?

Majesticperfection ran a big fig or two away? The tenor of your post seems valid. Some horses seem to thrive on that surface. Didn't Rachel run a huge figure in the Preakness?

NYPlayer
01-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Do you think she'd win a match race with Big Drama today?

FenceBored
01-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Majesticperfection ran a big fig or two away? The tenor of your post seems valid. Some horses seem to thrive on that surface. Didn't Rachel run a huge figure in the Preakness?

Not the Preakness, the Haskell (116).

Just glancing at things for 2008-2010 Gulfstream accounts for about 30-31% of the 115+ Beyers (4 of the 9 I can find).

Fat Syd
01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Not the Preakness, the Haskell (116).

Just glancing at things for 2008-2010 Gulfstream accounts for about 30-31% of the 115+ Beyers (4 of the 9 I can find).

Thank you.

Jasonm921
01-16-2011, 10:59 AM

I believe Quality Road did but I can't recall anyone else.

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Do you think she'd win a match race with Big Drama today?She's been out of training for quite some time, so I doubt it... :rolleyes:

precocity
01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
big drama is a beast had some big money on his nose at the breeders cup :jump: and they let him go off as a 5-1 ;) :ThmbUp:

cj
01-16-2011, 01:36 PM
119 Beyer. Feels like that might be a bit inflated though.

I think it is pretty accurate. I have 118, with Tar Heel Mom getting a 96 (Beyer gave 94). I'm not sure how they get the extra three point spread though. The raw figures are 133 and 111, so the spread should be 22 points as I have, not the 25 Beyer does.

The pace of the Mr. Prospector was slow compared to the final time, while the pace of the Sugar Swirl was on the fast side compared to that final time. That would help explain why the gap between the two is bigger than expected coming in.

CincyHorseplayer
01-16-2011, 04:03 PM
This makes sense to you doesn't it?Classy horses on a non synthetic track running big figures?What a shocker!:cool:

Big Drama proved himself in the BC.Yesterday he did make it look easy.I guess he'd have to run 1:06.8 for his fig to be validated!

cj
01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
This makes sense to you doesn't it?Classy horses on a non synthetic track running big figures?What a shocker!:cool:

Big Drama proved himself in the BC.Yesterday he did make it look easy.I guess he'd have to run 1:06.8 for his fig to be validated!

I said the figure looks fine. He ran a big final time number because he was coasting (for him) early.

CincyHorseplayer
01-16-2011, 04:35 PM
I said the figure looks fine. He ran a big final time number because he was coasting (for him) early.

I know CJ.My comment was aimed at those taking shots a the GP surface or dirt in general,Big Drama,and Rachel Alexandra by comparison.That direct train of thought gets irritating to read.

Charlie D
01-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Had it easy until cahallenged at top of stretch and although a very nice race not one to get carried away with.

When do they drop Sydney to 6f to take him on :)