PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes are Number 1

JustRalph
01-14-2011, 04:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings

How long does this last ?

Thanks to Florida State's 66-61 victory over Duke on Wednesday night, the Blue Devils slid down a few spots, and the Ohio State Buckeyes -- one of four remaining unbeatens -- took their place.

cj
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks to Florida State's 66-61 victory over Duke on Wednesday night, the Blue Devils slid down a few spots, and the Ohio State Buckeyes -- one of four remaining unbeatens -- took their place.

The good thing is in basketball, it doesn't matter. They actually decide it on the court...crazy I know!

JustRalph
01-15-2011, 12:04 AM
The good thing is in basketball, it doesn't matter. They actually decide it on the court...crazy I know!

excellent point. Thad Matta keeps surprising me. I always thought Gary Williams was the best coach the Buckeyes ever had, but Matta is growing on me. He damn sure can develop a team.

Capper Al
01-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Buckeyes are Number 1. We don't share this opinion with you up in Michigan.

skate
01-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Buckeyes are Number 1. We don't share this opinion with you up in Michigan.

well , seems like they just try to keep the girls happy...tose em a bone, dont you know.;)

OTM Al
01-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Let's go Boilers!

I'm actually surprised how good they still are. May have still been an unbeaten had they not lost the Hummel kid again.

onefast99
01-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Come March they have to play some real teams, right now they have a free-ride for quite a while as the Big ten has Ohio State and thats it. I see them getting beat in the 3rd round of the big dance, your final four will be Duke, Pitt, Kansas ans SU.

Valuist
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Now that Zenyatta has won Horse of the Year, anything can happen. Apparently what happens on the track, field or court DOESN'T matter.

JustRalph
01-26-2011, 01:56 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6059455

What a great looking young team....... crossing my fingers........ :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them lose once or twice before the tournament. Thirty-eight game win streaks are pretty rare, but six wins in a row happen to one team every year.

They were very sharp last night, for sure.

OTM Al
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Had to miss the game last night after working late last night. Figured OSU would win, but it sounds like it wasn't close. The road half should be a little toufger for them, but they seem pretty good.

onefast99
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I just don't see them cutting the nets down in April. If Sullinger gets into foul trouble they are very prone to getting beat by very physical teams. There are 15 legit teams this year and each one has a small margin for error!

JustRalph
02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I just don't see them cutting the nets down in April. If Sullinger gets into foul trouble they are very prone to getting beat by very physical teams. There are 15 legit teams this year and each one has a small margin for error!

Which is going to make for a great tournament. I might actually be interested this year

Valuist
02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Quite an accomplishment having been ranked # 1 during the season in both football and basketball.

Now, Ohio State just needs to figure out a way to avoid playing Wisky.....in EITHER football or basketball.

OTM Al
02-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Quite an accomplishment having been ranked # 1 during the season in both football and basketball.

Now, Ohio State just needs to figure out a way to avoid playing Wisky.....in EITHER football or basketball.

Road wins in the Big 10 have always been tough. Expect my Boilers to give them a good run when they get them in their building soon.

Robert Goren
02-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Be #1 in Feburary and 5 bucks will get you a small coffee at Starbucks. Just think, next year you have to face the powerhouse husker basketball team.

JustRalph
02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Well, I am glad they got that over with......

Now we can move on to the tourny

rastajenk
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Roger that. A loss in the conference tournament wouldn't be bad, either, if it meant a few extra days off before the Dance begins.

onefast99
02-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Right now OSU has the best shot of ending up #1 when the season is over, why? Because Pitt, Duke, Texas and kansas all have to play in a lot tougher conference tournaments while no one in the Big Ten looks like they could beat OSU on a nuetral court.

rrpic6
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I hope Art Schlichter has a future bet on Ohio State. He could use about a million bucks.

RR

JustRalph
02-16-2011, 02:42 AM
I hope Art Schlichter has a future bet on Ohio State. He could use about a million bucks.

RR

That is one sad tale. That poor lady no pun intended.

OTM Al
02-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Boiler Up!

Whatever that's supposed to mean. After my time there....

onefast99
02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Wow knocked off by another Big ten team who will get a high seed and be one and done in the tourney.

OTM Al
02-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow knocked off by another Big ten team who will get a high seed and be one and done in the tourney.

Highly doubtful. This is essentially the same team knocked out by Duke in the final 8 last year. No major players lost from that run.

onefast99
02-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Highly doubtful. This is essentially the same team knocked out by Duke in the final 8 last year. No major players lost from that run.
Duke is also a lot more talented than last years NC. Ohio State hasn't really played many tough opponents all year, that will take its toll on them. Also Sullinger is a freshman and has zero post season experience. Maybe they surprise a few but I don't think they last long this year.

OTM Al
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Duke is also a lot more talented than last years NC. Ohio State hasn't really played many tough opponents all year, that will take its toll on them. Also Sullinger is a freshman and has zero post season experience. Maybe they surprise a few but I don't think they last long this year.

One thing I think is almost for sure again this year is that the Big East will get too many teams in and most will go out quickly.

JustRalph
02-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Matta is a good tournament coach. I have faith........

But they are damn young

onefast99
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
One thing I think is almost for sure again this year is that the Big East will get too many teams in and most will go out quickly.
Take the top 20 teams in the latest poll, put them in a hat, pull out a winner. That will be your NCAA Champion this year. No clear favorite anyone can win or lose on any given night. Ohio State has as good a chance as anyone. See you in the tourney!

OTM Al
02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Take the top 20 teams in the latest poll, put them in a hat, pull out a winner. That will be your NCAA Champion this year. No clear favorite anyone can win or lose on any given night. Ohio State has as good a chance as anyone. See you in the tourney!

Wouldn't go that far, but there isn't an elite team out there. Should make for some good games and some big early upsets though. But then that's most every year...

JustRalph
02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Buckeyes Back to Number 1

The freshman are the key to this team........ obviously. I hate to have to count on them down the stretch.

OTM Al
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
They have talent but the tourney can rattle anyone who hasn't been there before. Purdue may catch them for the regular season title as OSU still has Bucky to contend with one more time and Purdue should win out. OSU should win the conference tourney, but oddly a loss there in a tight game may be more help to them than a string of blowout wins.

JustRalph
03-02-2011, 04:37 AM
Just when I am watching and worrying about the freshmen, a Senior steps up and scores ten 3-pointers

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41861457/ns/sports-college_basketball/

http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/ap/ohio%20st%20penn%20st%20basketball--2041827959_v2.320w.jpg

rastajenk
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
And Lighty's there on the seven-year plan, Buford's been around...they're OK in the cool-heads department. In fact, they have most of the components you look for in teams that can go deep...a lot of other teams have more question marks, for sure.

onefast99
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
And Lighty's there on the seven-year plan, Buford's been around...they're OK in the cool-heads department. In fact, they have most of the components you look for in teams that can go deep...a lot of other teams have more question marks, for sure.
They do have a deep team but when push comes to shove the tourney is about who gets hot as evidenced by Butler last year.

OTM Al
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
They do have a deep team but when push comes to shove the tourney is about who gets hot as evidenced by Butler last year.

Very bad example. Butler was a very good team from start to end last year. They really were that good.

JustRalph
03-07-2011, 02:04 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/06/0306-buckeyes-deal-with-badgers.html?sid=101

http://www.dispatch.com/wwwexportcontent/sites/dispatch/sports/stories/2011/03/06/0306-champs-poster-200.jpg

OTM Al
03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, despite Purdue's dreadful loss to Iowa, that still gave them the #2 for the Big 10 tourney. May have cost them a slip all the way down to a #3 for the NCAA though. In a year like this, that is significant.

onefast99
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Well, despite Purdue's dreadful loss to Iowa, that still gave them the #2 for the Big 10 tourney. May have cost them a slip all the way down to a #3 for the NCAA though. In a year like this, that is significant.
No matter where you are seated 1,2 or three you will get tough games in the 2nd round. Ohio State has a good shot to go far.

JustRalph
03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
The Ohio State Lady Buckeyes Basketball Team won the Big 10 Title also

Big week for Buckeye Basketball

OTM Al
03-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Sadly I will have to retreat on my assessment of Purdue. They will win the first round but likely no more. Seems since the crashing end to the season, which didn't bother me that much, they have had a player suspended, another concussed in practice and a third reinjuring a recently healed foot. It was a good season, but could have been a great one

JustRalph
03-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Thad Matta got out coached and Sullinger laid down late

Both were exposed. Not being able to win the big one is a serious fault in Columbus. Whether it's Football or Basketball.

Many Think Matta should have two NCAA titles by now.

After the NBA draft he falls back to mediocrity again.

slew101
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Disagree. They were the best team in a bad Big 10. OSU plays a style that always puts them at risk in these games. They play a halfcourt style and when the score is usually in the 60s, you're at risk.

Northwestern gave everyone a blueprint on how to play them in the Big 10 second round game.

I do think Motta coached poorly and his team played badly. Interesting to see if Kentucky can beat UNC. I don't see it.

onefast99
03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Once again cinderella has arrived at the dance. Up next VCU! Can there be 2 cinderellas in one story?

onefast99
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Thad Matta got out coached and Sullinger laid down late

Both were exposed. Not being able to win the big one is a serious fault in Columbus. Whether it's Football or Basketball.

You had a great run nothing to be upset over. They will have a decent team next year also. Most schools are just decent in one sport you guys have had a lot of success in both bball and football. Enjoy the last 3 games in the tourney, Uconn will cut the nets down in Houston.