PDA

View Full Version : Holland DQ'd in 10th at Yonkers for......

Vinman
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Anyone see the 10th at YR?

At the 3/4, Brent Holland, driving the 1, Lightning Ridge N at even money, pulled out from behind the 3, Hello and Goodbye, and said an emphatic "goodbye" to the field. Problem is that Brennan was just about to pass Holland on the outside with the 4, Sam's Treasure. It was definitely a close call in terms of interference when Holland pulled out, but other than it being a tight squeeze, it did not appear that Brennan had to take up, change course or lose ground, as confimed by the 3/4 camera replay following the steward's inquiry & subsequent DQ. Brennan's horse was off the board.

Seems as though the stewards decided that Holland warranted a DQ for exhibiting "bad manners" toward Brennan....at the expense of the bettors.

Vinman

SchagFactorToWin
01-14-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree. Of course, it could be because it cost me the Pick 4! :)

mostpost
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Anyone see the 10th at YR?

At the 3/4, Brent Holland, driving the 1, Lightning Ridge N at even money, pulled out from behind the 3, Hello and Goodbye, and said an emphatic "goodbye" to the field. Problem is that Brennan was just about to pass Holland on the outside with the 4, Sam's Treasure. It was definitely a close call in terms of interference when Holland pulled out, but other than it being a tight squeeze, it did not appear that Brennan had to take up, change course or lose ground, as confimed by the 3/4 camera replay following the steward's inquiry & subsequent DQ. Brennan's horse was off the board.

Seems as though the stewards decided that Holland warranted a DQ for exhibiting "bad manners" toward Brennan....at the expense of the bettors.

Vinman
I just watched the replay for the third time. Brennan did have to alter course slightly, but it did not appear to be significant. I do not think it cost him the race; neither first, second, or third and most likely not fourth.
The stewards probably disqualified Lightning Ridge N because they felt he had cost Sam's Treasure a place or two. Unfortunately the remedy had to involve taking down LRn and placing him behind the offended horse.

I think this is unfair for a couple of reasons (BTW I had no money on this race.) First it is clear that Sam's Treasure was not going to win the race in any event. Second Lightning Ridge N. did not interfere with any of the horses which finished second, third, fourth, or fifth behind him. None of those horses deserved to be placed ahead of him. Yet the owner of Sam's Treasure is deserving of the prize money for fifth place rather than sixth. (If there is a difference)
So, with apologies to Bill Maher, I propose a new rule.
1. Because the interfernce did not clearly establish that the result would have been changed, For wagering purposes, the result stands as the horses finished.
2. Since, in the judgement of the stewards, the winner cost the interfered with horse a place, the stewards will divert a portion of the winning purse, equal to the prize money for a fifth place finish, and award that money to the owner of the horse which suffered the interference.

To be clear, in this case two horses would receive fifth place prize money. The horse which finished fifth would receive money from the track's purse pool. The horse which finished sixth would receive money from the winner's earnings. If Yonkers pays for a sixth place finish, Sam's Treasure would receive that sixth place money plus the difference to bring him up to fifth place money. Horses finishing benind ST would not receive any prize money.
Horses finishing in front of him would not be affected.

botster
01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Clear cut DQ in my opinion.Brent was going to get stuck behind a tiring piece and pulled where he shouldn't have.Thats how accidents occur and the DQ was a justified one.

The fact that Brennans horse was done doesn't factor into the equation.The judges made the right call in placing Hollands charge behind him.This is how it should always be done.

The Bit
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Interference is interference. Brennan had a good deal of momentum and the horse on the lead was tiring badly. With the the leader tiring that badly, Brennan was going to make the lead and certainly would have had a chance at a better finish had Holland not pulled. Brennan getting bothered also affects the horses behind him in the flow, which affects the outcome, which is a DQ.