PDA

View Full Version : TVG REPORTS WALTER CASE ELIGIBLE

botster
01-13-2011, 09:15 PM
It's easy not to listen to these guys,but I think I heard Seibel report Case will be eligible to drive at Yonkers soon.Funny:)

Hanover1
01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
If we banned everyone with character issues in their private lives, horseracing would have collapsed at a much faster rate than it already is. Case never had any issues with the racing fans, and was usually a/the favorite. Never heard of any misuse/abuses of horses or the racing rules. Those who have issues with Case returning never deserved a second chance in their own lives either? He should be a draw inasmuch as we can muster one these days.....

wilderness
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Case never had any issues with the racing fans, and was usually a/the favorite. Never heard of any misuse/abuses of horses or the racing rules.

Your joking right!

Perhaps you should put some money into your Pathway account and pull up all his fines and suspensions?

pandy
01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Case was repeatedly fined over kicking the horses, which is a violation and didn't sit too well with the judges, especially at Northfield. But his relationship with the fans was excellent, he tried as hard as he could to win every race regardless of post position, odds, etc.

wilderness
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Case was repeatedly fined over kicking the horses, which is a violation and didn't sit too well with the judges, especially at Northfield. But his relationship with the fans was excellent, he tried as hard as he could to win every race regardless of post position, odds, etc.

Bob,
It didn't sit to good with the judges when the fines were not paid either.

Pacingguy
01-17-2011, 07:54 AM
To call him an Altar boy on the track would be the furthest from the truth. He got fined many times for kicking horses, wouldn't pay fines, banned from tracks and had his license revoked in states.

That being said, those were the days he suffered from substance abuse and he is supposedly clean. Yes, his personal life was a mess and there is that criminal conviction. As deplorable as it was, for his then wife and children that was not a racing offence. Supposedly, he is a new man.

Let him come back on a tight leash with a provisional license and let him prove he has changed.

Augie16
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I'll still open him at 2/5.

Hanover1
01-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Your joking right!

Perhaps you should put some money into your Pathway account and pull up all his fines and suspensions?
Fines/suspensions happen to the best of the lot on occasion. Case is being held to standards of his past, and not the future. Let the man earn his living, and give the players something to look forward to? P Val gets cred, so Case deserves as much.....

wilderness
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Fines/suspensions happen to the best of the lot on occasion.

"Occasion"?

Once agin you might explore the long list, via Pathway.

"Occasion", is HARDLY an accurate description.

Hanover1
01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
"Occasion"?

Once agin you might explore the long list, via Pathway.

"Occasion", is HARDLY an accurate description.
Once again you explore the past.......let it go dude. Only you are a saint.

wilderness
01-19-2011, 10:26 PM
let it go dude. Only you are a saint.

I resent your implication, and the ability to imply that I either said or thought that.

HOWEVER, somebody needs a reality check with the past, because your certainly in the robe-kissing crowd of groupies whom revered this mans previous life!

Pacingguy
01-20-2011, 06:14 AM
For the record, Walter's fines and suspension list on Pathways is 67 pages long. I would guess this is the longest 'rap' sheet on Pathways.

That being said, for the longest time I was against Walter's return to the sulky, but I must admit I changed my mind.

Permit me to reprint from my blog:

Time to Let Walter Case Jr Return

This is probably the hardest blog entry I have written. It is time that Walter Case, Jr. is allowed to return to racing. Why is this entry hard to write? For a long time I was opposed to his returning; livid when he showed up at Plainridge Race Course in 2008. How could someone with his record be allowed to return to racing?

Well, my opinion has changed so I need to explain why I feel he deserves to return. Followers of harness racing for any length of time are aware of Walter's talents; virtually the leading driver at almost any track he raced on. And on a half mile track, he was the second coming of Herve Filion; no one drove as hard as Walter Case did . In fact, he drove a little too hard. Case wracked up penalties for kicking horses as often as most people changed their underwear. Tracks would welcome him as he was a celebrity, they almost always asked him to move on when he did not change his ways. Many states gave Walter a probationary license as he could not keep his feet in the stirrups, but he did drive aggressively, winning at a more than impressive rate.

Then of course, there was a question of substance abuse. Like many people in society, Walter has had problems with illegal drugs and he seemed unable to shake those demons. Then came the criminal problems with his altercation with his last wife. There is no defense for what he did but he served his time and has been on parole.

Reports have it that Walter is changed man. Clean of substance abuse finally, married once again to a woman who supports what he does. The criminal offense can not be excused but being he has served his time, so it is an issue for him to deal with his family and his children; at this time it is a private matter.

With the demons supposedly behind him, why not let him return? I am not aware of any race fixing allegations. I am not suggesting he be given a warm welcome back when he returns, but if he has truly become a changed man and his prior fines have been paid, it is time to give him one more chance and a license to drive again. For sure, a probationary license and kept on a strict leash.. If in New York, let an agreement permit him to drive at tracks like Buffalo and Batavia with random drug testing for a year. After that year, let him move up to Saratoga and Tioga. If he truly has changed and kept his nose clean, then allow him the possibility to move on to the "A' tracks. That assuming the tracks are willing to let him drive there. Like the NCAA, ban him for a period of times from participating in driving championships.

Let's make it clear, the industry owes Walter nothing. That being said, if he truly has changed what are we saying as a society if we don't give a supposedly changed person that one last chance to redeem themselves after six years away (if you ignore that brief time at Plainridge)?

I am not saying we welcome him back, but the time has come to let Walter Case, Jr. return.

Hanover1
01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
For the record, Walter's fines and suspension list on Pathways is 67 pages long. I would guess this is the longest 'rap' sheet on Pathways.

That being said, for the longest time I was against Walter's return to the sulky, but I must admit I changed my mind.

Permit me to reprint from my blog:

Time to Let Walter Case Jr Return

This is probably the hardest blog entry I have written. It is time that Walter Case, Jr. is allowed to return to racing. Why is this entry hard to write? For a long time I was opposed to his returning; livid when he showed up at Plainridge Race Course in 2008. How could someone with his record be allowed to return to racing?

Well, my opinion has changed so I need to explain why I feel he deserves to return. Followers of harness racing for any length of time are aware of Walter's talents; virtually the leading driver at almost any track he raced on. And on a half mile track, he was the second coming of Herve Filion; no one drove as hard as Walter Case did . In fact, he drove a little too hard. Case wracked up penalties for kicking horses as often as most people changed their underwear. Tracks would welcome him as he was a celebrity, they almost always asked him to move on when he did not change his ways. Many states gave Walter a probationary license as he could not keep his feet in the stirrups, but he did drive aggressively, winning at a more than impressive rate.

Then of course, there was a question of substance abuse. Like many people in society, Walter has had problems with illegal drugs and he seemed unable to shake those demons. Then came the criminal problems with his altercation with his last wife. There is no defense for what he did but he served his time and has been on parole.

Reports have it that Walter is changed man. Clean of substance abuse finally, married once again to a woman who supports what he does. The criminal offense can not be excused but being he has served his time, so it is an issue for him to deal with his family and his children; at this time it is a private matter.

With the demons supposedly behind him, why not let him return? I am not aware of any race fixing allegations. I am not suggesting he be given a warm welcome back when he returns, but if he has truly become a changed man and his prior fines have been paid, it is time to give him one more chance and a license to drive again. For sure, a probationary license and kept on a strict leash.. If in New York, let an agreement permit him to drive at tracks like Buffalo and Batavia with random drug testing for a year. After that year, let him move up to Saratoga and Tioga. If he truly has changed and kept his nose clean, then allow him the possibility to move on to the "A' tracks. That assuming the tracks are willing to let him drive there. Like the NCAA, ban him for a period of times from participating in driving championships.

Let's make it clear, the industry owes Walter nothing. That being said, if he truly has changed what are we saying as a society if we don't give a supposedly changed person that one last chance to redeem themselves after six years away (if you ignore that brief time at Plainridge)?

I am not saying we welcome him back, but the time has come to let Walter Case, Jr. return.

Pretty much sums it up for many folks, but not all, as we can see on this board.......

pandy
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know Case, but I did meet him and talk to him for a while at Monticello once and I liked him. But, he was, of course, sober.

Some people just can't handle drugs/liguor and he is obviously one of those people. Me, if you like me when I'm sober, you'll probably like me more when I'm drunk.

When I met him, he was exuberant, he was driving a horse in a nothing race at Monticello yet he was excited, smiling, happy, full of energy. I could feel his energy (and I'm sure the horse could too).

RaceTrackDaddy
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
do recall Case was released early from his 5 year sentence. Part of that release for good behavior was that New York would assume the probabation (2 yr period) from Ohio. He raced at Plainridge. Based on his release in Nov 2008 and if he did comply with all the requirements of New York probabtion, he should be free and clear. All he would need would be is to get approved for his license from the state racing authorities....

jeebus1083
10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
It doesn't look like Case has been licensed anywhere... Pandy, do you know anything?

LottaKash
10-12-2011, 07:13 PM
We have had this discussion and debate before here at PA.....

I haven't changed my opinion any since....

I can get past all the nonsense, such as kicking a horse, drunk on the job, but I just don't trust a guy who tried to "kill" his wife....(under the influence as an excuse, or not)....

I could care less if he returns or not....There are many talented enough reinsmen around to fill the driver's seats these days...The sport would gain nothing from his return, especially at his age....Heck we're trying to weed out the other bums as it is now....

Jmo tho...

best,

Hanover1
10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
His return, if at all, will be largely ignored by those that make the sport work. To many younger hot hands to go to, that don't carry the baggage/stigma of an ex con. He will be discriminated against, and he earned it, despite having the right to earn a living, as we all do. Not sure if part of his probation was to pay all/part of the fines?

RaceTrackDaddy
10-21-2011, 11:56 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=93323 (http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=93323)
Who is the lady behind Walter Case Junior?

“We married in May 2009 and today we work about eight horses together. Both Walter and I can’t wait for him to get back in the sulky again. His probation finishes on October 27. He’s too good a horseman to be on the sidelines,” Case said.