PDA

View Full Version : Goin' Fishing

andicap
10-07-2003, 11:28 AM
There are Cubs fans everywhere -- there were more than 10,000 in Atlanta, and we are loyal, packing Wrigley Field even when the team stinks.
I'm no Johnny Come Lately to the Cubs bandwagon, having been a fan for 25 years. I used to live in NW Indiana and watched the Cubs on TV every day (my job ended at 1 p.m.) on WGN with Jack Brickhouse and Steve Stone. This was 1979--80 and they were a medicore team with Dave Kingman.

THen in '84, a bunch of us went down to the Ginger Man a block from Wrigley after the CUbs won two at home -- forget about Buckner's error, what about Leon Durham?

I sat in the bleachers next to Bill Veeck once, and another time sat next to a women I hadn't seen since college who had come down from Milwaukee. I caught a home run in the left lfield bleachers during batting practice and watched Greg Maddox pitch for our team. (sigh).

With Wood, Pryor and Zambrano, the Cubs have as good a rotation as anyone left.

Go Cubs!!

Dave Schwartz
10-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Andicap,

Question: "What pyschological profile causes a person that does not live in Chicago to become a Cubs fan?"

Have you considered therapy? <G>

Good luck... maybe this will be the year.

Dave Schwartz

sq764
10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Well, let's say Wood and Pryor are their saviors..

Zambrano is getting pounded right now.. 4-0 lead can go so quickly..

Valuist
10-07-2003, 09:23 PM
I remember Leon Durham's error. We definitely had the better team than San Diego in 1984 but I don't think we were better than Detroit, who just played out of their minds that year. Durham was the "original" Buckner in terms of costly errors. Who was the Cub first baseman before Durham?? None other than Bill Buckner.

sq764
10-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Nothing could be worse than Donnie Moore and the Angels.. Gives up a homerun to lose the ALCS then goes and commits suicide.. Now that's kinda taking it tough..