PDA

View Full Version : A Pet Peeve of mine

senortout
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Maybe Mountainman or someone track involved with some negotiating or reasoning skills can help with this...it may help us all.

My problem is a simple one. Some race tracks do not have their track diagrams correctly displayed(at least in the version Twinspires provides, its Equibase fed). I can think of one for sure, there may be others. It bugs me that they don't update and correct these errors.

The track I have in mind is Delta Downs. I'm playing it as we speak. I'm pretty sure its a bull-ring but the track diagram for the one mile race shows a start and finish at the finish line!....how careless to leave such an error for ever and ever!

Any ideas? I know, for an experienced handicapper, its no problem but things like this just stick in my craw.

senortout

Robert Goren
01-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Delta Downs Is 6 furlong track
http://www.deltadowns.com/racing/the-race-track

jsk42069
01-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I like Delta Downs its kind of a long shot crazy track though.. what does bullring mean>>? Sorry for my ignorance~ I joined this forum to learn more about horse racing.. I love it!

Handicapper Joe

Knowclew
01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
A bullring is a track no larger than 5/8's of a mile.
I could hazard a guess or two where the term comes from, but they would be nothing more than guesses.

Bruddah
01-13-2011, 12:49 AM
I could hazard a guess or two where the term comes from, but they would be nothing more than guesses.

The name (Bull Ring) is self explanatory. A small enclosed ring or space for racing horses. Most Thoroughbred tracks are 8 furlongs (1 furlong = 1/8th mile) or larger. Therefore a horse track of approx. 5/8ths or 5 furlongs is referred to as a Bull Ring.

ManeMediaMogul
01-13-2011, 06:48 AM
I have notified the proper authorities.

strapper
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM

If a bullring is 5/8ths or less than Delta is not a bullring but I've certainly heard people refer to it that way over the years.

ranchwest
01-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Delta has a long chute at the top of the stretch. From this chute, they start races such as 1 mile thoroughbred races and 550 yard quarter horse races. So, it is at least 550 yards from the finish line.

It is this chute from which Sylvester Carmouche parked his horse on a foggy night, waiting for the field to circle the track. Of course, when his horse won by a long distance and set a track record in a low level claiming race, there were immediate suspicions. I'm sure we've gone over the story of the "fog jockey" many times before, though.

Kevroc
01-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I thought a bullring was anything less than a mile.

If your 6f sprints are two-turn races, I think that qualifies for bullring status. Older horses that corner well have a leg up, imo.

CBedo
01-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Maybe Mountainman or someone track involved with some negotiating or reasoning skills can help with this...it may help us all.

My problem is a simple one. Some race tracks do not have their track diagrams correctly displayed(at least in the version Twinspires provides, its Equibase fed). I can think of one for sure, there may be others. It bugs me that they don't update and correct these errors.

The track I have in mind is Delta Downs. I'm playing it as we speak. I'm pretty sure its a bull-ring but the track diagram for the one mile race shows a start and finish at the finish line!....how careless to leave such an error for ever and ever!

Any ideas? I know, for an experienced handicapper, its no problem but things like this just stick in my craw.

senortoutIf you want a detailed (and accurate layout), use Google Earth. You can zoom in pretty close to make the track full screen size (or bigger) if you want.

Now if I could just get the bankings of the turns... :lol:

ranchwest
01-14-2011, 08:16 AM
I thought a bullring was anything less than a mile.

If your 6f sprints are two-turn races, I think that qualifies for bullring status. Older horses that corner well have a leg up, imo.

Delta doesn't have 6f races. Their shortest 2-turn race is 6 1/2.

Back when Jefferson Downs (bullring) was open, horses would move among Delta, Evangeline (mile) and Jefferson. There were truly horses for courses.

ManeMediaMogul
01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Here is the reply is received from someone of authority at Incompass Solutions:

After researching both on our end and Equibase’s end it appears that the track diagram we show is the correct diagram on all live and simulcast programs as well as Equibase products. We did however find that BRIS Ultimate PP’s show the 1 mile track diagram for Delta as the same start and finish. I have attached our diagram we use in all our programs. Unfortunately I can not tell you where they get their diagrams from that they use.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks. J

Snag
01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Delta doesn't have 6f races. Their shortest 2-turn race is 6 1/2.

Back when Jefferson Downs (bullring) was open, horses would move among Delta, Evangeline (mile) and Jefferson. There were truly horses for courses.

Jefferson Downs....you're digging up old bones........LOL....

Lived in Baton Rouge which is almost equa distance between all three. Before simo casts, I had some wild road trips on I10. Now you've got me remembering some really old times. Thanks!

ranchwest
01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Jefferson Downs....you're digging up old bones........LOL....

Lived in Baton Rouge which is almost equa distance between all three. Before simo casts, I had some wild road trips on I10. Now you've got me remembering some really old times. Thanks!

Oh, man. Those marathons at Jefferson! The high angle of the camera and the bullring track with a 2 mile plus race. Whew! Getcha dizzy. I never could figure out which lap was the final lap. Didn't they sometimes go 4 times under the wire?

Snag
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh, man. Those marathons at Jefferson! The high angle of the camera and the bullring track with a 2 mile plus race. Whew! Getcha dizzy. I never could figure out which lap was the final lap. Didn't they sometimes go 4 times under the wire?

I don't think anyone runs marathons anymore do they? Yea, it was wild. They got strung out around the track like they do in car races. Wild!

Do you remember the name of the bar just outside the track? All the degenerates went there after the races to "replay" their bets...LOL.

PhantomOnTour
01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I picked the first winner of my life at Jefferson Downs as a kid (betting illegally using Dad as my 'runner').
They kept the grandstand up for awhile after the track closed to use as a simo parlor, but eventually tore it all down and built an OTB next door. I watched the Real Quiet-Victory Gallop Belmont there...still had that old track atmosphere.

Thomas Roulston
01-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Doesn't Gulfstream have the same problem?

And how long it is from the finish line to the start of the first turn is not made available for virtually any track (I'm still trying to find out what Gulfstream's is).

ranchwest
01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't think anyone runs marathons anymore do they? Yea, it was wild. They got strung out around the track like they do in car races. Wild!

Do you remember the name of the bar just outside the track? All the degenerates went there after the races to "replay" their bets...LOL.
Recently there was a mile and a quarter race that was part of a marathon series. I guess definitions change.

Tom
01-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Finger Lakes ran a marathon series for a few years, culminating in a four mile and seventy yard race. The extra seventy yards were thrown in to favor closers! :rolleyes:

We had a picnic table in front of the tote board and four playboy bunnies dancing on it. One came down for each lap.

Snag
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Recently there was a mile and a quarter race that was part of a marathon series. I guess definitions change.

Ranch, yea, with time, a lot of things get shorter and not as hard.........to do.....