PDA

View Full Version : Redboarding Thread

Horseplayersbet.com
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I know Horseplayers like to brag about some of their hits, but it is frowned upon to do this in most threads. So I'm starting this thread so that PA posters can get some relief. Sometimes it is stressful to hold those big hits inside.

I also think that this could be useful, because who knows, some of us might learn about an angle we might have overlooked before.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a hit today worth Redboarding.

Robert Fischer
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
the other day I hit a $900 dollar pk3 on a $5ticket
but listen to the final odds for the 3 winners -
odds-on, 6-1, 3-1
:D:D:D
:lol:
LMAO didn't believe it at first

Market Mover
01-11-2011, 03:26 PM
the other day I hit a $900 dollar pk3 on a $5ticket
but listen to the final odds for the 3 winners -
odds-on, 6-1, 3-1
:D:D:D
:lol:
LMAO didn't believe it at first

What track was this? And do post the details of your selections and why to shed some insight on us amateurs...

mannyberrios
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
I love it! I am dying to learn something too

Robert Fischer
01-11-2011, 04:04 PM
What track was this? And do post the details of your selections and why to shed some insight on us amateurs...

not the best one for me to shed any light:blush:
this wasn't so much skill as luck
but will contribute if anything interesting this weekend...

harness track w/ the old-man , making some entertainment bets
singled logical 1st(standout) and 3rd legs, 5 deep in the middle.

was expecting around $200 or less for the pick3

OTM Al
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I called Smarty Jones the KY Derby winner after I saw him run in the Count Fleet at Aqueduct that January! He rewarded me well that spring. Wish I could do that again......

SimRick
01-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't wager nearly as much as many of you, but I have had my two best scores at the Belmont Stakes. 7/5 cold $5 exacta this year paid about $360. My wife loved Drosselmeyer and her $10 win bet paid $140 or so. In 2004 I didn't like any of the favorites in the slop and I liked Birdstone with a $20 win bet. I forget what it paid, but we had a very nice NYC dinner that night. A few years later when I saw his two sons in the Triple crown races I made a few bucks on them, too.
I wish I could do that consistently.

Rick

Cardus
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't wager nearly as much as many of you, but I have had my two best scores at the Belmont Stakes. 7/5 cold $5 exacta this year paid about $360. My wife loved Drosselmeyer and her $10 win bet paid $140 or so. In 2004 I didn't like any of the favorites in the slop and I liked Birdstone with a $20 win bet. I forget what it paid, but we had a very nice NYC dinner that night. A few years later when I saw his two sons in the Triple crown races I made a few bucks on them, too.
I wish I could do that consistently.

Rick

He was 36-1 if memory serves, and the $2 exacta paid $140. Royal Assault (?), Zito's other horse, ran third. Nice triple, too.

I saw Birdstone at his farm a week before the Derby, and I was talking to his handler about the race. We knew that Summer Bird was in the race, but couldn't recall the name of the other colt.

mountainman
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Great concept for a thread. I lambasted Street Sense in the derby, and likewise Curlin in the bc classic. Aside from Blame in this year's cup (sorry, that one doesn't qualify because I gave him out on the air), those were the largest win bets I ever made. By far.

Pell Mell
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't really know how to go about this. I've always avoided posting on "Bragging Rights" threads but since this may be a little different I'll take a shot.

Best win bet: $200. win on Art Toman's Antic's Princess ridden by Phil Grimm at Keystone many years ago. Pd $73. to win

Longest priced winner; 2001 at CT...don't remember horse's name but was #8...had $20 win....pd $165. to win.

$19,000. Big E at Keystone... Camac's horse with Frank Lovato up winning # 7/2

Was turned on to Pinnacle by webmaster of another website...very first bet I bet $24. on tri and super in 1st @ LAD...got Pinnacle's limit of 15 grand it actually pd over 20Gs

This may be more interesting;

About 40 yrs ago I wrote a system article for a magazine, ATM, and it was a good system. Get's very few plays but I always keep an eye out for them.
One came up about a month ago at HAW and won at 21/1. I spotted one this past SUN and it scored at 16/1. Now that's with a 40 yr old system that is still winning at big odds. It takes less than 30 seconds to check a race for a play. One might see a couple plays a month but just the last 2 plays will probably pay for a years worth of plays. Pretty neat ;)

classhandicapper
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I turned a legitimate 1/2 shot into an even money shot by leaving off the terrible 2nd choice and a few hopeless long shots in the exacta last week. I guess I have nothing exciting to report. :lol:

thaskalos
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
In 1986, when I was 24 years old, I collected $97,000 on a winning twin-trifecta wager...prompting me to announce my premature retirement to my startled boss.

Luckily, he didn't hold it against me 6 months later...when I returned begging for my job back.

Stillriledup
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I had 2 dollars to show on Giacomo in the Derby!

Love,
Ken Rudulph

sandpit
01-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I had a $2 exacta box on a pair of horses at Churchill Downs back in the mid 80s; horses went off at 59-1 and 19-1, paid $1863. Made tuition that semester for this poor college kid.

newtothegame
01-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Ok..no Laughing.....
I have hit plenty of tri's (problem is most of them cost me as much as I win...example 60 in and tri pays like 65 lol)
but, best hit...and i posted it here BEFORE the race actually.....was a race where I boxed 4 and caught the tri for 738.00 I believe.
Now for you BIG timers....thats a chump change play but made my day.....
A friend and I together handicapped and caught the Tri in the derby (super Saver) ...have pictures of that winning ticket still on my phone....

Paseana
01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Do future bets count?

I laid $20 on Funny Cide in the 2003 Pool #1 at 93/1. I don't remember what weekend that was, but I know it was before he ran in the Louisiana Derby. He closed as the second-longest shot in that pool. I collected $1800 for my $20 which was HUGE for me!

On a side note, there was something almost eerie that happened with that bet. Those future pools assign the numbers to the horses in the pool alphabetically, and it just so happened that my $20 ticket in Pool #1 was on the #6 just because Funny Cide's name is up near the front of the alphabet. Some two months later, 20 horses draw for post positions in the Kentucky Derby and Funny Cide ends up with......you guessed it..#6!

Truly bizarre!

NJ Stinks
01-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Not exactly redboarding but I managed to win so I guess it is. This occurred two days ago (Sunday).

In the 8th race at Gulfstream I wheeled Blues Street in the Fort Lauderdale with all in the Marshua River betting $2 Daily Doubles. I also singled Blues Street in the late Pick 3 for a buck with all in the 9th with Drizfraz in the 10th.

Blues Street (11-1) rallied big time only to lose by the shortest nose you can find. But all was not lost since I backwheeled him in the exacta for a buck and a 12-1 shot (Little Mike) beat Blues Street. The exacta paid $241 and I got half. Tough beat at least I hit a decent exacta.

The decent exacta was quickly forgotten when the 9th race at Gulfstream (The Marshua River) was won by a 26-1 shot (Justaroundmidnight). The $2 DD paid $648. If Blues Street got up, I would have collected something similar.

Fortunately, I wheeled the winner (Drisfraz at 7-2) of the 10th at Gulfstream with all in the Marshua River and got back another $218 for my $1 DD wheel.

Then again, I missed the late Pick 3 at the Gulf by a nose (Blues Street again) and that Pick 3 paid $2,070 for a buck.

What a game.

DeanT
01-12-2011, 01:13 AM
My best redboard is my best day at the track, ever, and it will never happen again. I had about 15-20 horses pegged at three tracks that I liked and off I went.

It turned into a Richard Dreyfuss day. After about 11 of 13 of my bets won - all at ok prices - I actually called a friend who discussed the races with me and said "do you feel like "Let it Ride" today?" I won a couple photos, these horses all got great trips, and seemingly never got tired.

The eighth race was about the 13th or 14th bet. It was a 30-1 shot that was live last time but got screwed. He was in a good spot and seemingly a good bet. In the stretch he was behind a wall of horses with nowhere to go..... and I said "no problem he'll get through" - simply because it was one of those days that had to be some sort of divine intervention. Right on cue the Red Sea parted and he cruised winning easily.

I think I finished 14 for 17 or something completely ridiculous like that, that day. It's a day I will always remember because I knew there was no way it would ever happen again, even if I live to 100.

highnote
01-12-2011, 01:38 AM
I think I finished 14 for 17 or something completely ridiculous like that, that day. It's a day I will always remember because I knew there was no way it would ever happen again, even if I live to 100.

Dean,

If you believe it will never happen again then you are right.

However, if you believe it WILL happen again then you are also right.

I believe you can do it again and I would encourage you to believe you can do it again!

Whatever we believe IS the truth to us --even if it is NOT the truth to everyone else.

I know you are probably trying to be humble to your PA colleagues, but in private make sure you keep believing it could happen again tomorrow!

Beliefs move us toward and shape our destiny. So have great beliefs!!!!!

(I apologize if that came across as preachy. It's just that whenever I hear limiting beliefs I feel a moral obligation to give my "Beliefs" speech. :) )

DeanT
01-12-2011, 01:48 AM
John what about the 2 for 36 run I had last April where all my bets ran like they were carrying a fat man while breathing not air, but mucous (can get Bill W to verify)?

Am I allowed to believe that one wont happen again either? If so, I'm in! :)

Seriously, thanks. Thinking positively in betting is a trait I need to get better at.

Now back to more red boards. I actually like to read them. Andymays is gonna come soon with the pick 6 :)

Java Gold@TFT
01-12-2011, 02:25 AM
In big races like the Derby I tend to just write the initials of contenders at the top of the Form. On my first blush through the field I had 5 contenders and 3 of them were TC, TG and TR. Even though I ended up with Timber Country as my main play for the race I couldn't ignore the hunch of betting those 3 horses boxed in a triple. Thunder Gulch, Timber Country and Tejano Run got me clear for the rest of the summer with the amounts I usually bet.

highnote
01-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Java -- nice score! Horseplayers have to learn to act on hunches. It took me awhile, but after seeing many of my hunches win, I learned to recognize and then act on a valid hunch.

Now back to more red boards.

I agree. Back to the red boards...

Anyone have that 21 dollar horse in the nightcap at philly yesterday -- #7 Send It In?

I did. :D

Seriously. I did. I dutched the 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8. Luckily, my two biggest bets were on the 6 and 7.

I had medium bets on the 2 and 8 and a small bet on the 3.

I cleared about 5 or 6-1.

I rarely dutch 5 horses, but the favorite seemed vulnerable at 3-1. Lucky for my bet, he ran last.

This would be a good example race for that thread by Inglewood on dutching -- except I don't do progressive betting. I update my betting wealth and do my next Kelly Criterion bet based on the updated bankroll.

Ray2000
01-12-2011, 05:11 AM
20 years ago, Hit a 13 race Show parlay at The Meadows, betting into a pool size of less than $1000. Started with a Five dollar ticket, last bet was $230 to Show. Started off as a joke but a cheering crowd was forming around the windows for the last few bets. Ask teller Al at the 2 Minute Club, if he's still there, if he remembers. :)

toussaud
01-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Biggest hit of my life was Student Council in the pac classic. I had that one dead to rights weeks before the race was ran and bet like it.

onefast99
01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Our first win ever, Contemptuous at Aqueduct January 2, 2004 with Julian Pimentel aboard.

Cardus
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Great concept for a thread. I lambasted Street Sense in the derby, and likewise Curlin in the bc classic. Aside from Blame in this year's cup (sorry, that one doesn't qualify because I gave him out on the air), those were the largest win bets I ever made. By far.

Lambasted?

cj
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Lambasted?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lambasted

mountainman
01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Lambasted?
Yeah, by my standards. But I'm not a huge gambler. A wagering partner and I bet 2k on curlin from our online account. And she talked me into risking so much. My normal win bet would be, like, 50 bucks.

Exotic1
01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
In 1986, when I was 24 years old, I collected $97,000 on a winning twin-trifecta wager...prompting me to announce my premature retirement to my startled boss.

Luckily, he didn't hold it against me 6 months later...when I returned begging for my job back.

Great picks and great story. Not the part where you went back to work, though.

Cardus
01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, by my standards. But I'm not a huge gambler. A wagering partner and I bet 2k on curlin from our online account. And she talked me into risking so much. My normal win bet would be, like, 50 bucks.

I have never had a "wagering partner."

Is it a fulfilling relationship?

(Time for me to lambaste my turkey.)

mountainman
01-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I have never had a "wagering partner."

Is it a fulfilling relationship?

It has its rewards. But I realize that some guys prefer the "do it yourself" approach.

toetoe
01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
System Restore, at 30/1 m.l. two starts in a row at the ONW2 NY Statebred condition, which he fits well (!), won at $140.00 three weekends ago, then placed at $17.60 last Sunday.

How red was my board. :blush: .

thaskalos
01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Great picks and great story. Not the part where you went back to work, though.
"I've burnt my candle at both ends,
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends,
What a night of light it was..."

Oscar Wilde...and thaskalos :)

Stillriledup
01-14-2011, 08:02 PM
It has its rewards. But I realize that some guys prefer the "do it yourself" approach.

Post of the year nominee?

Um, yeah, i think so! :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Lambasted?

I understood what he was talking about....same as saying you "hammered" a horse to win.

joanied
01-14-2011, 09:11 PM

:lol: Sorry, but that is hilarious!!

stuball
01-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Yesterday GP 6th race I bet a 4 horse ex bx as I do when race seems wide open
as this one did to me....result 1 wins at 70-1 and 6 is second at 35-1
my redboard exacta was over $800..really makes horse racing exciting..
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
:jump: :jump: :jump:
Stuball

PhantomOnTour
01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I find the whole redboard thing to be a little ridiculous. There is some interweb rule saying that if you didn't post the pick beforehand then:
a) you didn't really make that score
b) you can't go on the net and talk about it

I can understand this 'rule' if one happens to be peddling picks or figures over the net. But to give backlash to the Avg Joe who snuffs out a nice play (and wants to whoop it up a bit afterward) is lame.
Personally, I love to hear winning stories (not too many from the same person though!) because the telling of the story sometimes reveals an angle or method...and is always inspiring. I think folks who call others out for redboarding are the same guys who sneer and smirk at the track when someone is rooting home a nice score.

I am the king of deadboarding (a term i came up with)...that's when you don't post any picks beforehand and then come on and lament how you totally blew it after the race is over.