PDA

View Full Version : How about TCU?

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Do the deserve to be co-champions? Probably not but will they end up #2?

redshift1
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Do the deserve to be co-champions? Probably not but will they end up #2?

TCU deserves number 1 while Oregon and Auburn deserve probation

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 12:41 AM

Ha good one. And to think TCU is going to the Big East? Suprised someone hasn't "poached their coach."

redshift1
01-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I was mostly neutral in this game.. did the announcers seem SEC biased ?

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 12:56 AM
I was mostly neutral in this game.. did the announcers seem SEC biased ?

I don't think so. Seemed neutral to me and kudos the officiating crew. Had some hard calls and got them all right.

horses4courses
01-11-2011, 01:03 AM
I figure Stanford, by year's end, could hang with the best of them.

cj
01-11-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't see how anyone could watch that game and conclude Auburn is definitely better than TCU. Once again, college football is a joke.

Robert Goren
01-11-2011, 09:38 AM
So much for the old average "Cheaters Never Win And Winners Never Cheat". When all is said done 5 years from now, Auburn will go down as the best 0-14 team in history.

cj's dad
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
The game was BORING IMO !! Drinking coffee the entire 2nd half to stay awake !

PhantomOnTour
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
It got really good in the 4th quarter though. You've seen enough Pitt-Bal low scoring games in your time.

Bettowin
01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

I think the game was very interesting and exciting. Very close all the way and offenses that could score on any play. The cat mouse game between the offenses and defenses was very intriguing to me.

Guess you need to bet more on the game to make it exciting:)

OTM Al
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
It doesn't matter as voters are required to vote for the winner of this game as #1 in whatever the poll is that supposedly matters.

horses4courses
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Saying last night's game was "boring" is a perfect example of how the US audience view sporting events. In order for a game to be exciting, 2 criteria have to be met:

(1) Most importantly, SCORING needs to be fast, furious, and often.

(2) There has to be a WINNER at the end of the game, however long it takes to determine the victor. The fact that there are, technically, still ties in the NFL regular season is a total anomaly.

I found last night's game exciting. True, the offenses broke down many times.
This was due, in the main, to some excellent defensive tactics by both teams.
Defense should be appreciated. A good pitchers' duel in a baseball game, in my opinion, is a plus. This is not, however, the case with the majority.

And to think that, 30 years ago, they actually asked the question whether, or not, soccer could ever make it over here.....sheesh.

ldiatone
01-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Ha good one. And to think TCU is going to the Big East? Suprised someone hasn't "poached their coach."
i think in '12 in football. i think the only competition will be Wva, Pitt and maybe south fla. now in basketball it will be tough. both WVA and Pitt will have new coaches in football and both the coaches were rivals while at tulsa and okla st.

cj
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
i think in '12 in football. i think the only competition will be Wva, Pitt and maybe south fla. now in basketball it will be tough. both WVA and Pitt will have new coaches in football and both the coaches were rivals while at tulsa and okla st.

Tulsa and OSU are not rivals. Even if they were, Holgorsen wasn't there long enough to be friends with anyone, let alone rivals.

ElKabong
01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
A football guy on radio this morning said "that was an awful, but exciting game last nite". I agree.

Both teams sit out for a month + and are expected to play crisp football. Can't happen.

Imagine this >>> the super bowl played a month after the ACF/NFC title games...what a joke that would be......welcome to d1 college football

Fast fwd 3 yrs from now, Newton and Auburn give back their hardware...Lot of smoke there.

Also, where are those people that were mad at Auburn 2 yrs ago, now? You know, not hiring Turner Gill being a somewhat racist bypass/ non hire. Auburn got what they eanted...a winner at all costs

cj
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
A football guy on radio this morning said "that was an awful, but exciting game last nite". I agree.

Both teams sit out for a month + and are expected to play crisp football. Can't happen.

Imagine this >>> the super bowl played a month after the ACF/NFC title games...what a joke that would be......welcome to d1 college football

Fast fwd 3 yrs from now, Newton and Auburn give back their hardware...Lot of smoke there.

Also, where are those people that were mad at Auburn 2 yrs ago, now? You know, not hiring Turner Gill being a somewhat racist bypass/ non hire. Auburn got what they eanted...a winner at all costs

I have never seen more apathy towards bowl games than I have this year. College football is digging a hole for themselves. It is so big a sport it can recover, but they need to make some big changes.

Dahoss2002
01-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Dont think for a minute TCU doesn't have "BOOSTERS" helping recruit.

ElKabong
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Dont think for a minute TCU doesn't have "BOOSTERS" helping recruit.

Read Dan Jenkins 1984 book LifeItsOwnself. Jenkins is a TCU grad, the book is loosely based on TCU football's rise under Jim Wacker. Also loosely based on football in the southwest in that era.

Kenneth Davis and Tony Jeffrey were on those TCU teams, both busted for taking cash and gifts (bigguns) from Dicky Lowe and other Frawggy boosters.

Jenkins was a great writer. Dogged Victims of Inexorable fate was awesome. Semi Tough was 15x the book that the movie was

ElKabong
01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I have never seen more apathy towards bowl games than I have this year. College football is digging a hole for themselves. It is so big a sport it can recover, but they need to make some big changes.

Even last year when my Horns were plaing for the MNC, I thought it was boring....the damn game couldn't have been played quick enough. Too many games, too spread out. It really has watered down my excitement, post first weekend of Dec

cj's dad
01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=cj]I have never seen more apathy towards bowl games than I have this year. College football is digging a hole for themselves. It is so big a sport it can recover, but they need to make some big changes.[/QUOTE

There were 35 games, many played in front of half empty stadiums. The bowl games are over saturated.

cj
01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=cj]I have never seen more apathy towards bowl games than I have this year. College football is digging a hole for themselves. It is so big a sport it can recover, but they need to make some big changes.[/QUOTE

There were 35 games, many played in front of half empty stadiums. The bowl games are over saturated.

That match ups were bad too. OSU had a great season and were "rewarded" with a game against pitiful Arizona. Maryland was decent, played a horrible East Carolina team. OU and Connecticut, come on. The BCS gave us nothing but an indecisive national championship game and most bad other games. Compared to the other bowls though, they were Utopia.

highnote
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
That match ups were bad too. OSU had a great season and were "rewarded" with a game against pitiful Arizona. Maryland was decent, played a horrible East Carolina team. OU and Connecticut, come on. The BCS gave us nothing but an indecisive national championship game and most bad other games. Compared to the other bowls though, they were Utopia.

Agree. I did not watch any bowl games -- not one. This is probably the first time I have had NO interest.

Part of the problem was that I thought Alabama was the best team in the country even though they had a few loses. They had by far the most difficult schedule in the country. My mechanical rating system did not rate them number one because of their loses, but I thought they had good excuses for losing.

Had there been playoffs Alabama would have had a chance to show what they could do when their opponent had the same amount of time between games as them.

I was mildly interested in the Oregon/Auburn game, but only because Oregon was rated number one on my system. So I was disappointed they lost, but at least it was close.

KingChas
01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Forgetaboutit.......2014 changes?

A return to the old postseason system, which relied on conference tie-ins and bowl organizers to make bowl matchups, isn’t likely, Hancock said, but it will be in the “spectrum of options.”

"But an 8- or 16-team playoff is “not even in the spectrum,” he added."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bowlchampionshipseries

Dahoss2002
01-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Read Dan Jenkins 1984 book LifeItsOwnself. Jenkins is a TCU grad, the book is loosely based on TCU football's rise under Jim Wacker. Also loosely based on football in the southwest in that era.

Kenneth Davis and Tony Jeffrey were on those TCU teams, both busted for taking cash and gifts (bigguns) from Dicky Lowe and other Frawggy boosters.

Jenkins was a great writer. Dogged Victims of Inexorable fate was awesome. Semi Tough was 15x the book that the movie was

I'm gonna check into that book. I love reading stuff like that. Even with the scandal, I think its possible Wacker was clean. He kicked those guys off the team and self reported the violations. Ya really gotta watch those boosters though. lol

ldiatone
01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Tulsa and OSU are not rivals. Even if they were, Holgorsen wasn't there long enough to be friends with anyone, let alone rivals.

well the 2 coaches will be rivals now w/ PITT and WVU. they call it the
"back yard brawl"