PDA

View Full Version : Hotstufanthensome...

alhattab
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyond-the-blinkers/archive/2011/01/06/graded-stakes-winner-needs-a-home.aspx

...is retired and looking for a home despite having earned $750k. He's a tough horse that ran on the Monmouth and Florida circuits in his prime. What a great public relations story. Link provided for donations if so inclined.

NJ Stinks
01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks for posting this, Alhattab. Hotstufandthensome was as game as they come. Very sad to see what has happened to him.

JustRalph
01-11-2011, 01:38 AM
“When he arrived at our Lexington farm, he was walking okay, but as soon as we went to jog him, he was obviously lame,” said Ford of Hotstufanthensome. “His leg was really inflamed. I called to see if (his former connections) had it x-rayed or ultrasounded, but they said no, they didn’t feel the need because they were retiring them. So we did that…x-rays showed he had a fractured sesamoid and a huge, quarter-sized hole in his suspensory.”

Ford was frustrated the adoption program had to put money into diagnosing the problem, especially since New Vocations is designed to adopt out horses that are sound enough to have second careers rather than being a retirement farm. It’s currently up in the air as to whether Hotstufanthensome will even be able to be a trail horse due to the extent of his injuries. The gelding's former owner sent New Vocations a small donation for helping him, but that was more than nine months ago and doesn’t even cover half of the expenses he has incurred during his time at New Vocations, explained Ford, who called Hotstufanthensome’s injuries “completely preventable."

"It’s really frustrating for us, because this horse is pretty much broken down,” she said. “The other part of the story is that we’re having such a hard time finding him a home. I’m very reluctant sending him to a private individual not knowing if they’re really going to take care of him.”

so they dumped him on the retirement facility..........nice.......

Stillriledup
01-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Who are these owners? Maybe Paulick can expose them.

thaskalos
01-11-2011, 03:28 AM
These are the kinds of stories that make me regret ever getting involved in this game.

They find ways to come up with $28,000 purses for maiden claimers...but there is no money at all for worthy causes like these...

Shameful...

alhattab
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Who are these owners? Maybe Paulick can expose them.
I believe the owners that earned the most with him was an outfit called Runnin Horse Farms. They're not listed in the Mth media guide any longer. See link to TT article I found which listed them. I believe the principals' primary business was in the insurance space, but I'm not positive. Not sure if they're in the game anylonger. Onefast or one of the other Jersey insiders may know.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2006/january/29/fast-fractions-help-hotstufanthensome-win-mac-diarmida.aspx

joanied
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Just Ralph... Found this update...I bolded the part about his connections...I looked him up, and he's well bred and his breeders are well known...look him up (I don't want to be the one to post his connections, since they decided not to let out that info)
I think he'll find a home now that this story is out...I hope, looks like a sweetheart too!
UPDATE:
I should have mentioned this before, but Anna has asked me not to mention the specific names of Hotstufanthensome's previous connections, so I was unable to publish several of your comments. Obviously I know that you can look them up on your own, but the point of this article was not to lash out at the former trainers and owners, or at New Vocations for that matter. The point was to raise awareness so hopefully there will be less of these instances, and also to help Hotstuf find a permanent home. Thank you for all your suggestions for possible places for Hotstufanthensome--please know that Anna is doing everything she can to help this gelding and she really appreciates your input. As I mentioned previously, Anna has contacted several local Central Kentucky facilities with no success yet.

But she has received several emails since the blog was put up, one of which was from a retirement facilitiy in a different state that is interested in taking Hotstufanthensome. I will update all of you as soon as I learn more, or if plans are finalized. Thanks so much for all your interest, and remember, if you would like to make a donation to New Vocations, go to http://www.horseadoption.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=donations (http://www.horseadoption.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=donations).

nijinski
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I wish there were more owner/breeders like John Franks and farm managers
like Johnny Whittingham.
Mr Franks purchased the hard knocking Dave's Friend , at age six. He was a successful veteran runner , a personal favorite of mine.
Years later was pensioned at Franks farms , visited by him daily . When the owner was not at home he was well cared for by Whittingham.
Mr Franks died in 2003 and Johnny had kept a promise to him and cared for the then ailing Daves Friend , until the horse had to be euthanized at age 31
I understand it was a difficult parting.

We need more people in the business with this kind of compassion.

I wish the best for our current warrior to find a caring home.

nijinski
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I hope Old friends comes through for Hotstuf , if not in Kentucky maybe at the NY division.

lamboguy
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
racing today is alot different than when we had a fine men like john franks, or the mellon's, or the vanderbuilts or any of the real great horsemen that put their heart into the game. racing has evolved into a non-gentleman, honor thy neighbor game. it is cuthroat to say the least.because we lost these guys and have replaced them with a diiferent type of owner, we have lost the patrons that used to participate when these owners were around.

horseracing needs to adjust to the type of owners that we have today, just like the national football league did when their game evolved with television. until racing changes the manor in which everything in the game becomes accountable to the patrons that are fans of the sport, it will die a slow death. slot machines and state bailouts along with higher purses won't help a thing, it will make it worse. we need a completly new set of rules that does not cater only to the present day owners, but for the health of the sport. shortcuts and bandaids are not going to help.

nijinski
01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
racing today is alot different than when we had a fine men like john franks, or the mellon's, or the vanderbuilts or any of the real great horsemen that put their heart into the game. racing has evolved into a non-gentleman, honor thy neighbor game. it is cuthroat to say the least.because we lost these guys and have replaced them with a diiferent type of owner, we have lost the patrons that used to participate when these owners were around.

horseracing needs to adjust to the type of owners that we have today, just like the national football league did when their game evolved with television. until racing changes the manor in which everything in the game becomes accountable to the patrons that are fans of the sport, it will die a slow death. slot machines and state bailouts along with higher purses won't help a thing, it will make it worse. we need a completly new set of rules that does not cater only to the present day owners, but for the health of the sport. shortcuts and bandaids are not going to help.
Your post pretty much nailed it on the head!

joanied
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM

That is well said, but it doesn't address what this thread is about...what happens to the horses after they are done racing...like this guy, Hotstuf... now I ask...why don't his breeders come forward and offer either a place for him to live, or give some money to help with his care, at least for the short term...
did you look him up...did you see who his breeders were? I think they are fully able to help with this horse that they brought into this world...

lamboguy
01-11-2011, 02:00 PM
jonied, there needs to be rules for all this stuff. its no good for the game. when people read about this they get turned off to the game and the game dies. its really that simple. there are so many things wrong with this game that .10 superfecta's and upping the purses won't do diddly. the tracks will not make a penny until they change the fundementals of the game. look at other places in the world that are now running banner meets with large handles. they would up growing with the times and in this country we have taken 5 steps back.

joanied
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
lambo...I agree, and I could list several things that are wrong with racing and several ways to fix racing...but again, this thread is about Hotstuff finding a home...although his fate is something that does give racing a black eye...at least in this particular case, any reader not knowing much about racing can see that folks are doing the best for this particular horse...
:)

lamboguy
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
the way racing is today don't you think that one should make plans as to what happens after a racing career is over for a horse? when i get my purse checks there are plenty of things deducted for stuff like this. that is all that i meant, it should be a part of the game.

joanied
01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
the way racing is today don't you think that one should make plans as to what happens after a racing career is over for a horse? when i get my purse checks there are plenty of things deducted for stuff like this. that is all that i meant, it should be a part of the game.

OK...I thought you were talking about everything else that's wrong with racing...so, yes, I agree 100%...every breeder should be rquired to make plans for their horses after racing...small or large breeding operations have to do this, lambo...a fee at foal registration at the very least...
it's a shame all owners aren't like you...seems most have to be forced into doing the right thing by all the horses they bring into this world.

Bottom line...we agree:ThmbUp:

Cardus
01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I would think that the owner would be more responsible than the breeder for assuring a horse's safety and health after its career is over.

joanied
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Here is a link to The Mig's blog...he has a good idea about race horse retirement...in speaking about Hotstuf, he talks about his idea...I think it's excellent, but can it be done...

http://hrtv.com/hrtvblogs/index.php/author/Migliore

and yes...it's up to the owners as well as everyone else bringing foals into the world and racing them.
And I now know who owns him.

alhattab
01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
A nice ending. Assuming they accept them, I will be sending a donation to Aikendale. I love this horse. A long time ago I started a thread saluting "hard knockers", citing him as a prime example. I got a predictable response (see second link, first response).

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyond-the-blinkers/archive/2011/01/14/case-closed-hotstufanthensome-finds-a-home.aspx

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49758

joanied
01-14-2011, 02:10 PM
A nice ending. Assuming they accept them, I will be sending a donation to Aikendale. I love this horse. A long time ago I started a thread saluting "hard knockers", citing him as a prime example. I got a predictable response (see second link, first response).

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyond-the-blinkers/archive/2011/01/14/case-closed-hotstufanthensome-finds-a-home.aspx

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49758

Excellent news...thanks so much for posting the links. What a great idea they came up with to swap him for a horse that can be retrained and find a good home...all the retirement facilities need to work together on this type of thing. That he'll get to be with Evening Attire is icing on the cake!!

This made my day:jump: