PDA

View Full Version : Firearms - do you own any?

horses4courses
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
The following poll is attached for feedback on PA posters beliefs on this topic.

boxcar
01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
The following poll is attached for feedback on PA posters beliefs on this topic.

Are you putting together a list of names and responses for the BO administration?

Boxcar

horses4courses
01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Are you putting together a list of names and responses for the BO administration?

Boxcar

Definitely not.

How do you answer to this thread before I even post it, though?

boxcar
01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Definitely not.

How do you answer to this thread before I even post it, though?

I can walk on water, too...providing it's no deeper than a mud puddle. :D

Boxcar

horses4courses
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I can walk on water, too...providing it's no deeper than a mud puddle. :D

Boxcar

Changing your handle from Boxcar to Big Brother?

prospector
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
yes, and none of them are registered..nor will they be.

boxcar
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Changing your handle from Boxcar to Big Brother?

No, I'm not Big Brother's keeper. I thought you might be, though.

Boxcar

Tom
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I support the right to keep and bear arms, and I also am smart enough not to have any myself.

Know your limits. :eek:

Robert Goren
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I answered "no and support thougher guns laws." I have owned a couple of shotguns and three rifles in the past. I used them to hunt. I have never owned a handgun. I have no problem with hunters. There are places where having guns are a bad idea. For the record, it has been reported on TV that there were several people in the crowd at the AZ shooting with guns. It just went down to fast for them to act.

Sugar Ron
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Lol, Tom ... in the words of the immortal Inspector (Dirty) Harry Callahan ... "a man's got to know his limitations"...

GaryG
01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
yes, and none of them are registered..nor will they be.Me too. I buy mine for cash at gun shows and it is none of anyone's business what firearms I own.

TurfRuler
01-10-2011, 04:14 PM
All my fathers owned guns for protection against thieves and robbers (KKK, the good guys :D ) in their neighborhood they grew up in. My grandfather warned me not to wear diamond rings because someone would hit you on the head and take it. In the south there are shooters just like in the west, pull a gun and don't use it and someone else will because you pulled it. In the Wild Wild West in 1980's my uncle was surprised I didn't carry a gun, what for I said, I had not done any thing to anyone, why should any one want to do anything to me, I forgot about drive by's. Anyone who would shoot bullets in a hospital or at a funeral procession would shoot at you just for fun, like shooting at cans. No I don't own a pistol or rifle but I will as long as it is allowed by law abiding citizens (your 2nd Amendment), but even if I was a crook I would get one by any means necessary, especially with all the Texans arming themselves against their perceived threat of other Americans, not Bin Laden or they would seek him out the cowards. Bin Laden called me a slave in the newspaper but he won’t come to Harlem and say that…he is just as cowardly hiding in the desert or a mountain hole.

TurfRuler
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I answered "no and support thougher guns laws." I have owned a couple of shotguns and three rifles in the past. I used them to hunt. I have never owned a handgun. I have no problem with hunters. There are places where having guns are a bad idea. For the record, it has been reported on TV that there were several people in the crowd at the AZ shooting with guns. It just went down to fast for them to act.

No it didn't, they just didn't know what to do, especially if all it takes is to aim and shoot.

Robert Goren
01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
No it didn't, they just didn't know what to do, especially if all it takes is to aim and shoot.From the reports I heard it was over in less than 6 seconds. I am certainly no expert on handguns and their use. I am just reporting what I heard. I do know that 6 seconds isn't very long when you are caught by surprise.

Jay Trotter
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
TR,

There's a thing called a "paragraph"! You should try it some time. :faint:

All my fathers owned guns for protection against thieves and robbers (KKK, the good guys :D ) in their neighborhood they grew up in. My grandfather warned me not to wear diamond rings because someone would hit you on the head and take it. In the south there are shooters just like in the west, pull a gun and don't use it and someone else will because you pulled it. In the Wild Wild West in 1980's my uncle was surprised I didn't carry a gun, what for I said, I had not done any thing to anyone, why should any one want to do anything to me, I forgot about drive by's. Anyone who would shoot bullets in a hospital or at a funeral procession would shoot at you just for fun, like shooting at cans. No I don't own a pistol or rifle but I will as long as it is allowed by law abiding citizens (your 2nd Amendment), but even if I was a crook I would get one by any means necessary, especially with all the Texans arming themselves against their perceived threat of other Americans, not Bin Laden or they would seek him out the cowards. Bin Laden called me a slave in the newspaper but he won’t come to Harlem and say that…he is just as cowardly hiding in the desert or a mountain hole.

chickenhead
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I've only got a .22, but it's been customized and I love it dearly. If I were into hunting squirrels I'd be a bona fide sniper.

Have plans for a Remington 700 in .308.

If guns were easier to impulse buy I'd have more. They're a lot of fun.

boxcar
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
TR,

Great Post! Are you shooting for the Drive-by Poster of the Year Award? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

TurfRuler
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
TR,

It took me quite a bit of my time to check my ebonics speller to make sure all the words I used were correct in the English language. I did not check the section on parallelism, clauses and paragraphing. Sorry you found it difficult, I know you were having a good day before my structured sentences threw you off.

Grits
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/us/11guns.html?src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjson8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Fn ational%2Findex.jsonp

I am sorry, but one could not give me enough money to live in this state. No way. They call these gun laws? This is HORRIBLE, again, I'm sorry, but this is unreal. This could be likened to one's favorite hobby--the shooting range to hone one's skills.:faint: I am floored, absolutely.

Lefty
01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't have any guns because i'm one mean, tough SOB. But I certainly support the 2nd Amendment.

riskman
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I am sorry, but one could not give me enough money to live in this state. No way. They call these gun laws? This is HORRIBLE, again, I'm sorry, but this is unreal. This could be likened to one's favorite hobby--the shooting range to hone one's skills.:faint: I am floored, absolutely.
"Last year, Arizona became only the third state that does not require a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The state also enacted another measure that allowed workers to take their guns to work, even if their workplaces banned firearms, as long as they kept them in their locked vehicles.

In 2009, a law went into effect allowing people with concealed-weapons permits to take their guns into restaurants and bars.
In the last two weeks, two bills were introduced relating to the right to carry guns on college campuses, one allowing professors to carry concealed weapons and one allowing anybody who can legally carry a gun to do so."

There is no logical reason for any of this in the 21st century. Rifles for sport hunting is acceptable as well as weapons used by law enforcement and military. Wonder if you can bring your weapon to a high school,college or professional sporting event in AZ. What about an indoor/outdoor concert or race track? Is that next on the agenda or is it already permitted. I know there is a different culture in Az. but what about common sense.

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
If you're in AZ, and carrying, you know there are most likely others carrying as well.

I think they used to call such a concept "Mutually Assured Destruction."

Works very well as a deterrent...history itself has proven this on a much grander scale.

boxcar
01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
If you're in AZ, and carrying, you know there are most likely others carrying as well.

Works very well as a deterrent...history itself has proven this on a much grander scale.

Good point. And even more specifically regarding this tragic incident, what's also getting very little press is that some 74-year old guy who was packin' came very close to shooting this kid -- and he would have shot him had the kid not already been brought under control. The old man, apparently, was in some nearby store and came out (I guess) to see what was going on. So, apparently he wasn't on the scene from the very beginning. I think the guy is going to be on Fox tonight. His story should be interesting.

Boxcar

Native Texan III
01-11-2011, 06:40 PM
So "most people are carrying" is down to a 74 year old Mr Magoo thrashing his zimmer frame to get to the scene well but after the event. Evidently not enough Tucson citizens are packing enough. Or have they made just one too many trips to Mexico with their car trunks full of arms for the drug cartels?

boxcar
01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
So "most people are carrying" is down to a 74 year old Mr Magoo thrashing his zimmer frame to get to the scene well but after the event. Evidently not enough Tucson citizens are packing enough. Or have they made just one too many trips to Mexico with their car trunks full of arms for the drug cartels?

You need to keep up better with the news. You've got the traffic going in the wrong direction, thanks to this current administration's refusal to enforce immigration laws. Mexicans (and anyone else for that matter) can cross our southern border with impunity to pick up their guns. They certainly don't have a tough time delivering their drugs to this country, do they? Besides, if they're smart, why would they want to dead-head back to Mexico? They can arrive and depart full-handed. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Grits
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
but what about common sense.

I'm beginning to believe there is NONE.

fast4522
01-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Most of the folks I know are not little cowboys who need to touch a firearm every five seconds. All of the people I know would help someone if needed with their personal carry gun, but I think none would even pull one out in public unless there is the intention to shoot center mass and only if it can be to no risk of hurting innocent people behind a subject. Yes sometimes things happen too fast, but I believe it was a combination of things. To blame someone on the TV or radio for this left wing drug abuser is a stretch indeed. I think tragic events happen, and have been long ago and will continue even more unless we get some control with the amount of drugs this country consumes recreationally. We are all born with the gift, love of life. To destroy such a god given gift with drugs is a plague upon our people, in my mind liberalism is not worth defending. This turd needs no further study, the liberal would strongly disagree. I trust the good people of Arizona will deal with him appropriately.

bigmack
01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s254/hunkoburninlove/bang.png

fast4522
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Your quite astute, University of Wal Mart?

hcap
01-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Lunacy. M.A.D applied to rationality remaining in the cold war actors. I seriously doubt there was ANY rationality or fear of being shot by another armed Arizonan in the recent bloodbath. Guns by themselves don't kill, but they sure make it a hell of a lot easier.
Gun Deaths - United States Tops The List

The United States leads the world's richest nations in gun deaths -- murders, suicides, and accidental deaths due to guns - according to a study published April 17, 1998 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

The U.S. was first at 14.24 gun deaths per 100,000 people. Two other countries in the Americas came next. Brazil was second with 12.95, followed by Mexico with 12.69.

The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world.

...There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people,"

bigmack
01-12-2011, 03:23 AM
We need every state to have restrictive gun control laws like in DC. It seems to be working well. :rolleyes:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s254/hunkoburninlove/gun.png

hcap
01-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Do you have more than one city or state with similar stats?. Maybe there is a correlation, maybe not. Actually it definitely looks like there are OTHER other factors in the mix. Thee law went into effect back in 1976. Here is a chronological history.

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

http://www.justfacts.com/images/guncontrol/dc.jpg

The rate did not begin to skyrocket until approx. 10 years later, and appears to have dropped. Your stats are the average over the entire period and don't tell the entire story. Why did it start to decline so steeply staring in
1996. The law was not overturned by the Supreme Court until recently in 2008?

fast4522
01-12-2011, 08:08 AM
As with all your fancy pretty graphs that are skewed to suit a liberal agenda, the data does not show how many were killed legally in self defense or shot dead by police. And sure those numbers are going way up because many more small business owners who have stores are armed and ready to protect their business. Plus there will be severe cuts into Federal spending before any increase will to the debt ceiling. States like New York and California will be impacted big time which will equal an increase in crime rates.

Robert Goren
01-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Everytime someone uses a gun on criminal who is committing a crime, the story about it gets posts here, often with video.

traveler
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I've only got a .22, but it's been customized and I love it dearly. If I were into hunting squirrels I'd be a bona fide sniper.

Have plans for a Remington 700 in .308.

If guns were easier to impulse buy I'd have more. They're a lot of fun.

I'd suggest you check the CNBC video/report on problems with the 700 before you purchase.

boxcar
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Everytime someone uses a gun on criminal who is committing a crime, the story about it gets posts here, often with video.

Actually...that's not 100% accurate. Just the other day there was a story of house break-in by a burglar, who apparently wasn't quite as stealth as he could have been. The elderly husband from the upstairs bedroom heard a noise, woke up his slightly younger wife, and she blew away the crook and killed him deader than dead.

This story and thousands upon thousands are precisely why law-abiding citizens should own guns if they desire. People have a God-given right to protect themselves and their property.

Boxcar

hcap
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
As with all your fancy pretty graphs that are skewed to suit a liberal agenda, the data does not show how many were killed legally in self defense or shot dead by police. And sure those numbers are going way up because many more small business owners who have stores are armed and ready to protect their business. Plus there will be severe cuts into Federal spending before any increase will to the debt ceiling. States like New York and California will be impacted big time which will equal an increase in crime rates.So bigmack's stats are wrong? No. They are correct as far as they go. Yes stats can be skewed and your point asking for specific circumstances of shootings should be considered, but we are looking at DIFFERENCES in murder rates between states and correlation to gun laws. I don;t think what you are asking is easily available. Then again there is nothing stopping you. Back up your point and find the detailed stats, state by state and by all means post it instead of complaining about my "liberal agenda."

We can agree that statistics can be skewed.
I just did what you complained about WITHOUT the ant-libertal nonsense.
But nothing I posted skewed anything. The OVERALL stats for the average crime rate over almost 30 years does not show the full picture, and I just pointed out a fuller picture.

And thank you for your usual rant. :cool:

boxcar
01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
So bigmack's stats are wrong? No. They are correct as far as they go. Yes stats can be skewed and your point asking for specific circumstances of shootings should be considered, but we are looking at DIFFERENCES in murder rates between states and correlation to gun laws. I don;t think what you are asking is easily available. Then again there is nothing stopping you. Back up your point and find the detailed stats, state by state and by all means post it instead of complaining about my "liberal agenda."

But nothing I posted skewed anything. The OVERALL stats for the average crime rate over almost 30 years does not show the full picture, and I just pointed out a fuller picture.

Nothing like a "half-truth" -- eh, 'cap? A partial picture, but not the whole one. Okay.... :rolleyes:

Boxcar

fast4522
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
So bigmack's stats are wrong? No. They are correct as far as they go. Yes stats can be skewed and your point asking for specific circumstances of shootings should be considered, but we are looking at DIFFERENCES in murder rates between states and correlation to gun laws. I don;t think what you are asking is easily available. Then again there is nothing stopping you. Back up your point and find the detailed stats, state by state and by all means post it instead of complaining about my "liberal agenda."

Thats easy, majority rules and not fools rule. The majority does not want what your selling, so your beating another dead horse.

Robert Goren
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Actually...that's not 100% accurate. Just the other day there was a story of house break-in by a burglar, who apparently wasn't quite as stealth as he could have been. The elderly husband from the upstairs bedroom heard a noise, woke up his slightly younger wife, and she blew away the crook and killed him deader than dead.

This story and thousands upon thousands are precisely why law-abiding citizens should own guns if they desire. People have a God-given right to protect themselves and their property.

BoxcarYou just prove me right.;)

boxcar
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
You just prove me right.;)

No, I didn't. There are plenty of stories out there that never make it to this forum.

But each success story, such as the one I posted, does prove me right. Every human being (well...normal ones, anyway) has a strong self-preservation instinct, just like animals do. And, for that matter, many animals are very territorial and will fight to protect what is their own staked-out territory.

Bottom Line: Both Special Revelation and Natural Revelation speak to the sanctity,value preservation of life and property alike. It's very sad that so many dunderheads on the Left choose to ignore both when formulating their unrealistic policies and agendas!

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2011, 02:12 AM
The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world.It's amazing there is anyone left alive in the US given that worthless stat... :lol:

hcap
01-13-2011, 03:46 AM
It's amazing there is anyone left alive in the US given that worthless stat... :lol:Worthless? How?

fast4522
01-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Worthless? How?

Real easy one, stat and poster it came from are not reputable.

Just think of one stat that is, there is a increased percentage of United States citizens being issued a licence to carry a handgun in the US. Police only comprise one percent of the legal handguns walking around the US and they all vote. Security details will become part of less tragic events going forward, these will new jobs, how ironic?

hcap
01-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Absolutely meaningless. This was the study that PA said was worthless.
The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world.

...There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people,"
We are comparing firearms throughout the world. Your incomprehensible objection, whatever the hell it is, would apply equally to all countries.
And??

prospector
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Absolutely meaningless. This was the study that PA said was worthless.
We are comparing firearms throughout the world. Your incomprehensible objection, whatever the hell it is, would apply equally to all countries.
And??
what is your obsession with guns people own...i own 3..9mm pistol for heavy work and a shotgun for crowd control..i just added a sniper's pistol..a small 22 that when you fit it with one of those baby bottle nipples suppresses sounds.
scary ain't it...

Bettowin
01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Do you have more than one city or state with similar stats?. Maybe there is a correlation, maybe not. Actually it definitely looks like there are OTHER other factors in the mix. Thee law went into effect back in 1976. Here is a chronological history.

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

http://www.justfacts.com/images/guncontrol/dc.jpg

The rate did not begin to skyrocket until approx. 10 years later, and appears to have dropped. Your stats are the average over the entire period and don't tell the entire story. Why did it start to decline so steeply staring in
1996. The law was not overturned by the Supreme Court until recently in 2008?

It took 10 years to get the guns out of the law abiding citizen's hands.

hcap
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
It took 10 years to get the guns out of the law abiding citizen's hands.Why did it drop starting in 1994?

johnhannibalsmith
01-13-2011, 01:10 PM

I do not and have not ever owned a gun. Despite how I feel about this and that, I've never, ever been a fan of guns. I just don't have any need for them and seem to cause a lot of problems.

BUT... I spent the first few decades of life in New York where gun laws were pretty tight. I hardly lived in a hotbed of criminality, yet guns were as pervasive in crimes as the criminals themselves.

Now, I live in Arizona. There's a guy that walks down the street with what appears to be a 9mm tucked in his belt when I leave early in the morning. It was eye-popping to see that for the first time.

But you know what - I have no statistical way to support my perspective, but I think about the evils of guns as weapons FAR LESS often now in Arizona than I did when I lived in NY and MA.

Gun laws must just be a way to stroke constituents at this point, because they certainly don't seem to work very well to me.

mountainman
01-13-2011, 02:42 PM
My dad was a decorated veteran-and somewhat violent man-who never owned a gun during his civilian life. " A gun," he would say, "only does one thing, and that thing isn't good." I inherited his temper, and there have been times when I might have shot someone had a firearm been handy. But there's never been an instance where a gun might have helped me.

Tom
01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
xIpLd0WQKCY

prospector
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
The Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot & Trade Show

Now this is a gun show (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=OQnU1t7UzgM)!

click here http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=OQnU1t7UzgM

socantra
01-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes - I own guns (no reason to expand on that)

Yes - I feel safe enough without one

Yes - I respect the rights of those who do

Yes - I believe there should be stricter control laws

Lefty
01-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Stricter gun laws? There are over 11,000 gun laws now. You think criminals or crazies give a damn about gun laws?

hcap
01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
A study correlating firearm deaths with many different factors.
"Were the state's political and economic travails a contributing factor? There has been some talk about guns, too. Might tighter gun control laws have made a difference?"
And there appears to be a positive effect of stricter gun control laws
"Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48)."

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/01/the-geography-of-gun-deaths/69354/

http://assets.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/richard_florida/assets_c/2011/01/Gun%20ViolenceEDIT-thumb-600x600-40178.jpg

boxcar
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
A study correlating firearm deaths with many different factors.

And there appears to be a positive effect of stricter gun control laws

Stricter gun laws only favor the criminals who pay no need to such laws in the first place. Why make it harder for law-abiding citizens to protect their persons and property? Doesn't make any sense...

Boxcar

Lefty
01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
If the 11,000 or so gun laws we have couldn't have prevented this crime, please tell me that one magical gun law that will prevent demented or just plain evil people from carrying out their monstrous plans?

Tom
01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Outlaw ALL guns, Lefty. This is their goal.

No guns, no light bulbs, no cars, no air conditioning.....the moron left is trying to put us back in the caveman era - the last time any of them had a rational thought.

Lefty
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Tom, you are so correct, and I understand that. But what the gun control advocates don't understand is: You can make guns totally illegal and the criminals or maniacs will either still get one, or they will find another weapon. How many would the Tucson maniac have killed if he had used an SUV instead of a gun?
Now some nuts in Congress want to make a lw that it's against the law to have a gun with 100 feet of a public official. How shortsighted. Do you think the Tucson Maniac would have obeyed such a law?

Tom
01-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Other than the rancid odor they omit, how would one know for sure if they were close to a public official? Maybe the slime trail they leave?

CryingForTheHorses
01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Just before Christmas our home was broken into while my wife and I were at the track training our horses.The robbers broke the window on the back door and came in that way.My little dogs were frantic I am sure as Sport is just a little guy but he will bite you,Muscles is a softie.These guys even put sliced cheese on the front Florida room so the dogs would eat it.I have a large backyard with a 6foot wood fence all around.In my house they took my 50in tv off the wall,Stole my laptop and took my "safebox" that had all of our important papers in.The saddest thing is that they stole my Berretta .25 auto that was in my nitestand by my bed along with a old .22 rifle that didnt have a firing pin.Lisa was frantic screaming as we walked in the front door..Cops were called blah blah blah.Low and behold the guy that lives on the other side of the fence at the end of my yard comes over to tell us that all a large tv is sitting againt his side of the fence.Me and the cops go there and low and behold there is my tv in perfect shape.That thing is heavy..My laptop and our safebox were found crammed between the trees and leaves.Hollywood police recovered my old rifle but havent found the handgun..I had the serial number in my wallet.In the state of florida having a hunting licence allows you to have a weapon in your car as long as its in a zipped our locked trunk.After this I am seriously thinking of getting a CCW.I have taken gun courses and know what and not to do with a gun.I feel that I am a victim but also very lucky that they didnt hurt my dogs.You can always replace "stuff"..Hollywood police arrested a 14yo with a rap sheet 3 pages long.They found my rifle under his bed.Here is a child stealing guns and breaking into houses,Dont you think he is crying for help?,Cops tell me because he is so young,The system keeps letting him out.Here is a kid who needs to be helped not killed doing what he is doing.What if he broke into a house and was shot!! God help these children.

Dave Schwartz
01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
McSchell,

Sorry for your experience.

Although it has been years, I remember how violated I felt when I was burglarized.

The good news is that they did not poison the dogs.

Dave

JustRalph
01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
no feeling in the world like coming home to a Burglary. Been there too. Mine was 3 days after Xmas after being away for 5 days to visit relatives. Came home to the place in Northern Maine to find the front door standing open. Back window was also left open. It was 10 deg outside. I think the furnace/heat had been running a few days at that point. The utilities bills were just another kick in the ass a month later.

At least you got some stuff back.