PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth higher purses with small fields?

Southieboy
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Vote, then respond.

FenceBored
01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Vote, then respond.

I'll consider voting as soon as I figure out what the question means.

therussmeister
01-08-2011, 12:49 PM
One person figured it out. It wasn't me.

FenceBored
01-08-2011, 12:55 PM
One person figured it out. It wasn't me.

The original poster, perhaps?

Tom
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I assumed for me, the bettor - I don't get a cut of the purse.

Stillriledup
01-08-2011, 02:39 PM
What does this mean?

Southieboy
01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
$500K Purses > Av. Field Size = 6.7
$55k Purses > Av. Field Size = 12.0

Overlay
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Perhaps he's asking if it's worth having a higher overall purse structure if field sizes still remain small (despite the higher purses), which has the effect of depressing average mutuels (due to both the small field sizes, and the increases in takeout needed to fund the higher purses), making it harder, in turn, to show a profit from wagering.

horses721
01-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Perhaps he's asking if it's worth having a higher overall purse structure if field sizes still remain small (despite the higher purses), which has the effect of depressing average mutuels (due to both the small field sizes, and the increases in takeout needed to fund the higher purses), making it harder, in turn, to show a profit from wagering.
You hit the nail right on the head. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Tom
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
The crop of available race horses these days hardly justifies the purse structures of many stakes. How many 5 horse stakes have we seen lately?

We need a hell of a lot less stakes races - make a stake mean something.
Far too many graded races. Why do we even need Gr3 races?

therussmeister
01-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Not being a fan of horse racing, I don't care about the quality of the horses - only the quality of betting. So I guess I vote no.

HuggingTheRail
01-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Set the takeout rate dependant on the number of horses in the race. If its a 5 horse race, the takeout is 10% - and the takeout rises by 0.5% for every horse in the race....field of 14 means a 14.5% takeout

therussmeister
01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
The crop of available race horses these days hardly justifies the purse structures of many stakes. How many 5 horse stakes have we seen lately?

We need a hell of a lot less stakes races - make a stake mean something.
Far too many graded races. Why do we even need Gr3 races?

I've been playing since 1985. I don't remember any time since then when we didn't have a lot of 5 horse stakes races. Furthermore, whenever I see old handicapping books with examples from the 60's and 70's, they still show a lot of 5 horse stakes races. That is probably a big part of the reason why I have never become a fan of horse racing, and it certainly a major part of the reason why I decided in 1985 to specialize in handicapping maidens and claimers.

Tom
01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Set the takeout rate dependant on the number of horses in the race. If its a 5 horse race, the takeout is 10% - and the takeout rises by 0.5% for every horse in the race....field of 14 means a 14.5% takeout

Are you nuts?????

Punish the bettors for a full field?
Nice way to kill the game.

How about reduce the purse by 10% for every horse under 8 entered?
The bettors are not the ones putting out small fields.

Robert Goren
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I've been playing since 1985. I don't remember any time since then when we didn't have a lot of 5 horse stakes races. Furthermore, whenever I see old handicapping books with examples from the 60's and W's, they still show a lot of 5 horse stakes races. That is probably a big part of the reason why I have never become a fan of horse racing, and it certainly a major part of the reason why I decided in 1985 to specialize in handicapping maidens and claimers. But now we have 5 horse fields for open bottom claimers with purses over twice the claiming price. If weren't for Maiden races, Turf Races and State Bred Races, we might never see a full field at a NYRA track. Even that is no guarantee.

Robert Goren
01-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Are you nuts?????

The bettors are not the ones putting out small fields. :) Another great idea from Tom.

HuggingTheRail
01-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Are you nuts?????

The bettors are not the ones putting out small fields.

I would have less issue betting into a 14 horse field at 14.5% and a 5 horse race at 5% than I do with the situation as it is now...I would certainly give a small field a lookie if the takeout was 5-7%